The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
Dave Kay

Red face One-ton owners w/Bendix brakes... help!?(SOLVED!)

In the past 20-some yrs I've done multiple Delco-type DISC BRAKE-jobs with hardly a problem however, in that same time, I've never messed with Bendix-type and there's one little thing that stumps my near-perfect record...

Got me an old '86 GMC 1-ton with Bendix type FRONT calipers and in the middle of a seemingly routine brake-job, (complete) I'm stopped dead in my tracks because I cannot figure out for the life of me WHERE to install the anti-rattle clips. (aka - INBOARD shoe clips)

The old pads did not have them on either of the pads or the knuckle assemblies and all the books and manuals I have show no particular place to install these clips--- they just sorta' hang out there in-space on the blow-up schematics... I haven't got a clue... I've searched forum after forum, posted and Googled this thing to death and I got NADA!?

FYI; I'm not a brakeman pre se nor pro mech, just a regular wrenchmonkey who's seen a lot and done a bunch... never been so stumped in my life!?

Any one-ton owners out there with some help?

Last edited by Dave Kay; 05-28-2008 at 12:56 AM.
Dave Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:21 PM   #2
Robert1970C20rstbukt

Re: One-ton owners w/Bendix brakes... help!?

Does your truck have the JB7 or JB8 brake system?

1984 Chevrolet C30 welding truck 454/SM465
1977 GMC C15 pickup 350/TH350
1970 Chevrolet C20 pickup 350/TH400
1970 Chevrolet K20 Suburban 454/TH350
1969 GMC 8500 478M V6/5 spd winch truck
Robert1970C20rstbukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:34 AM   #3
Dave Kay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1970C20rstbukt View Post
Well, according to the NAPA guy, without pulling the rear drums I can't answer that question... and right now I can't pull those drums.

These are Bendix-type sliders and they match up with what was originally there. My calipers are NOT your 2-pin Delco types which have the spring-clip that mounts on the BACK of the pad which then pops into the caliper piston... you get what i mean?

See the attached pics, that's the hardware that came in the box with the calipers... if I could I'd call the NAPA guy but he's closed for the holiday.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2008, 04:23 AM   #4
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Dave Kay,... The spring clip goes on the bottom tab of the inner brake pad. I just did this today on my crew cab 1-ton. The inner pad rests inside the brackets, made into the spindle. The outer pad, slips inside your caliper and the caliper and outer, slides over the inner that is already postioned on the spindle. I was also looking for "2-pin" calipers when I took mine apart. I need to bleed the new calipers and I will be done. I always try to do one side first,... so I'll have the "assembled", old side, to look at. Hope this helps.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:03 AM   #5
Dave Kay

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Dave Kay,... The spring clip goes on the bottom tab of the inner brake pad. I just did this today on my crew cab 1-ton. The inner pad rests inside the brackets, made into the spindle. The outer pad, slips inside your caliper and the caliper and outer, slides over the inner that is already postioned on the spindle. I was also looking for "2-pin" calipers when I took mine apart. I need to bleed the new calipers and I will be done. I always try to do one side first,... so I'll have the "assembled", old side, to look at. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply man! Now I think we're getting somewhere...

Ok, so it goes on the bottom part of the brake pad steel like this?
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2008, 05:11 AM   #6
Dave Kay

Red face Re: One-ton owners w/Bendix brakes... help!?

Thanks again Lo but the thing that stumps me is that when I fitted the one clip on the pad as pictured, it doesn't really go home, or seat itself, if you get what I mean... am I supposed to use some force here, like pliers and screw driver, prying on them to get 'em to stay on?

(never felt so ignorant in my life!)
Old 05-27-2008, 05:48 AM   #7
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

OK,... now you have me wondering. WHen I took mine apart,... That clip was on the END of the pad. (as in the far right,... of your second pic) Now I think mine might be wrong. Mine were on the end of the pad to "wedge" it into the spindle bracket. To keep it from falling out. Now,... I am confused! Can anyone else help?

Convert to disc brakes.

Last edited by lolife99; 05-27-2008 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:04 AM   #8
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

OK. I went and dug my old stuff out of the trash. Here's the way I found mine. I do not know if this is correct. I've never done this type of caliper before. But it went back together ok. Someone else PLEASE chime in! Here's a couple pics. (This is the RH, passenger side, inner pad)
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.

Last edited by lolife99; 05-27-2008 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:37 AM   #9
Dave Kay

Quote:
OK,... now you have me wondering. WHen I took mine apart,... That clip was on the END of the pad. (as in the far right,... of your second pic) Now I think mine might be wrong. Mine were on the end of the pad to "wedge" it into the spindle bracket. To keep it from falling out. Now,... I am confused! Can anyone else help?
Well, I'll tell you this; when I tried to force the clip onto the end like you said, the darn thing was a fight and I managed to get in on but it stretched the little bugger out a bit... so I took it off and am wondering if that could be the right way because the pad is supposed to be able to slide and move with the caliper but not so loose that it will rattle and make noise... it's called an "anti-rattle spring."

In other words, when I postion the clip like in my photos it actually makes contact with the cup on the inside of the caliper itself and that position seems to limit the movement of the pad, not really tight though, but fairly snug... is this some kind mystery or what?

Anyway, thanks for your input and hopefully we'll get some more 1-ton owners in on this or MAYBE have a pro brake-guy weigh-in...

Best regards

Last edited by Dave Kay; 05-27-2008 at 06:40 AM. Reason: none
Old 05-27-2008, 07:04 AM   #10
Dave Kay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1970C20rstbukt View Post
Thanks for your input Robert, here's something I found about brake codes...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a.../t-203698.html

Not sure how accurate this info is because when they're talking about measuring the rotor thickness heck--- my rotors are just a sixteenth shy of being an inch and a HALF THICK!

Best regards
Old 05-27-2008, 07:06 AM   #11
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Dave,... the tail of the clip basicly spring loads the pad between the upper and lower part of the spindle bracket. I thought this looked funny,... but it looked like it had been that way a long time. I've also never seen a spindle that has 2 recesses that the inner pad "tabs" fit into.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:26 AM   #12
Dave Kay

Quote:
Dave,... the tail of the clip basicly spring loads the pad between the upper and lower part of the spindle bracket. I thought this looked funny,... but it looked like it had been that way a long time. I've also never seen a spindle that has 2 recesses that the inner pad "tabs" fit into.
Ok, not sure what you mean by "never seen a spindle that has 2 recesses that the inner pad 'tabs' fit into." Because my setup has 2 recesses; one for the top part of the pad's tab as well one as the bottom part. Does your spindle only have the one--- bottom or top? Or are we talking apples and oranges?

I will say though that now that I've fiddled with this spring/clip some more, your way DOES seem to be right. When I put the clip on the end of the pad and fitted this thing up into the spindle and it does sit there very nicely... BTW; which way did you position the wear indicators, up or down?
Old 05-27-2008, 07:47 AM   #13
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Dave,... what I meant about the "2 recesses" is that I'm use to 1/2 ton calipers with the 2 allen head pins that secure the caliper to the spindle. Mine has two recesses. One top,... and one on the bottom. I postioned the wear indicators on top. (just like they were when the old pads came off) I'm going to call my GM mechanic buddy tomorrow and solve this problem. I sure don't want to mine back apart,... but I want it right. I'll let you know what I find out.

Convert to disc brakes.

Last edited by lolife99; 05-27-2008 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:05 AM   #14
Dave Kay

Quote:
Dave,... what I meant about the "2 recesses" is that I'm use to 1/2 ton calipers with the 2 allen head pins that secure the caliper to the spindle. Mine has two recesses. One top,... and one on the bottom. I postioned the wear indicators on top. (just like they were when the old pads came off) I'm going to call my GM mechanic buddy tomorrow and solve this problem. I sure don't want to mine back apart,... but I want it right. I'll let you know what I find out.
Understood, 2 recesses just like mine and the wear indicators go on top--- kool! And you say you have a GM mech-buddy you can call? AWESOME DUDE!

Looking forward to his answer... (yea he knows!) lol!

Hope you're having a great Memorial Holiday... I'm outa' here... ciao~!
Old 05-27-2008, 06:02 PM   #15
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I wish someone else could post an answer,... my work day is slowly slipping away.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:42 AM   #16
Robert1970C20rstbukt

Well Dave I'm glad lolife was more help than I was! I was thinking about the Delco brakes, my '84 has a 10,000lb GVWR and it has JB8 brakes. I'll bet yours has JB7 brakes with the 8,400 rating. I looked in the shop manual and I see the exploded diagram of the parts but I don't have any idea how those clips go in.

1984 Chevrolet C30 welding truck 454/SM465
1977 GMC C15 pickup 350/TH350
1970 Chevrolet C20 pickup 350/TH400
1970 Chevrolet K20 Suburban 454/TH350
1969 GMC 8500 478M V6/5 spd winch truck
Robert1970C20rstbukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:43 AM   #17
Dave Kay

Quote:
I wish someone else could post an answer,... my work day is slowly slipping away.

THE ANSWER IS HERE!

Scroll down to the section for Bendix Sliding Caliper... and there it is!

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Dodge%20...%201piston.htm

Thanks to all for all the help--- ciao~!

Last edited by Dave Kay; 05-28-2008 at 12:45 AM. Reason: none