The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2008, 06:30 AM   #1
daveM

4.3 to 5.7 swap th400 transmission braces

Hi guys,

1987 2wd pickup.
5.7 is from a '89 chevy van (1 ton)

I'm in the process of pulling the 4.3. On the floor the freshly built 5.7. When I pulled the 350 I unbolted the th400 and set it aside as my 4.3 also has the th400 plus the tail shaft from the van is shorter. Anyway it just bolted on the engine like I remember from way back.

Now that I'm under the pickup I see there are two extra braces coming from the motor mounts to the torque converter housing cover. That cover also looks to be heavy aluminum. The 350 / van was just a tin cover.

I've not measured yet but it seems to me the braces will be too short if I try to bolt that transmission (from the 4.3) to the 350. Question: Were those braces used only on the 4.3 and not necessary for the 350? Anyone have any experience with this?

A second question... I've decided to use the vans exhaust stuff, - manifolds, Y pipe, etc. The van, being a 1 ton, had heavy pollution stuff (pickup does not) so I have what I call smog pipe holes in the exhaust manifold. Look like but are not 3/4 pipe thread. I was just thinking of getting a couple of plugs and screwing them in. Metric maybe?

Thanks for any help.

Dave

'87 Chevy Pickup (Nice)

'75 CB750K Four Honda (beautiful)
Quiet (stock exhaust)
Till you get on it then she...
Sounds Like a Porsche
daveM is offline   Reply With Quote