The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
jrsmith_2010
I like turtles...

350 Turbo kit for a 79

Hey guys, a buddy of mine at work told me that i can put a turbo on a carb 350, where can i get a kit? i want to get a twin turbo, anyone done this? money amount spent?

thanks jrsmith_2010
jrsmith_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Re: 350 Turbo kit for a 79

Can you do it, yes. Is there a kit, none that I am aware of. You are basically going to have to built the kit yourself. It WON'T be a simple bolt on either.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
jrsmith_2010
I like turtles...

has anyone done it on here?
Old 06-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #4
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

Here's a "cheap," hard way to do it. These guys are GOOD. They did a lot of fabbing to get this together.

Check out the burnout page while you're on the site.

2quicknovas.com

Click and scroll down for site vendors!

Subscribe here!
PhilaTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:55 PM   #5
jrsmith_2010
I like turtles...

niiiice! the thing is, i have no clue what im lookin for, all i know is that i want to know the cost to get a full twin turbo setup on my truck.

any help??
Old 06-04-2008, 11:07 PM   #6
jrsmith_2010
I like turtles...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Small...spagenameZWDVW

is this what i need, minus the turbos?
Old 06-04-2008, 11:11 PM   #7
SBTork
Garage wrench

I think banks makes a bolt on kit for a carbed 350 to add twin turbos

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:14 PM   #8
jrsmith_2010
I like turtles...

what kind of turbos do i need? i can use them manifolds if they will work, but what about the turbos and intercooler? NEED HELP!!
Old 06-04-2008, 11:16 PM   #9
method2mymadnes

http://bankspower.com/im_SuperRod_Sept04.cfm

87% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
method2mymadnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:22 PM   #10
jrsmith_2010
I like turtles...

damn, need to know how much it is to build one like that!
Old 06-04-2008, 11:26 PM   #11
jrsmith_2010
I like turtles...

http://www.bankspower.com/twin-turbo-system.cfm

i found this, but no price on it
Old 06-05-2008, 12:18 AM   #12
watahyahknow

i have been looking into using turbo's for a while now .
there is a firm that makes the passengerside exaustmanifold in cast iron that will hold the turbo a dumpvalve and the pipe that comes from the other side but i can't find it on the web at this moment .
the driverside manifold stays stock but the downpipe gets routed under the oilpan to the other side and hooks up there , you going to need to put a new downpipe from the turbo to the exaustsystem .

i've also seen setups where they route the downpipes from the two cast manifolds and merge them near the batterytray and bolt the turbo on that but i have my doubts on wether it will stay together and not crack

this isn't sumtin that can be done for a little cash allthough its cheaper than building a normal engine of the same size that will make the same power .
blowthrough carbs are pricy a trottlebody or an airbox made around the carb might be a good idea though more difficult to tune
you need to drop the static compression and it would be wize to use forged pistons also you need another cam with less overlap and exaust valves from either stainless or eeeh the ones with the liquid metal in them dunno the word for now

this is a twin turbosetup http://www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/1844
only the manifolds http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

just do a search on google and see wat comes floating to the surface .

btw the banks turbo kit is VERRY expensive , as is the system from nelson racing engines

there also are people that build the headers out of steampipe bends , these are cheap and seem to stay together too

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts

Last edited by watahyahknow; 06-05-2008 at 12:21 AM.
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:29 AM   #13
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsmith_2010 View Post
damn, need to know how much it is to build one like that!
A stout bottom end is essential if you want to do any kind of forced induction on a small block and have a goal of 500hp or more (twin turbos can do a lot -- and wreak havoc on the short block in the process)

A forged crank, Childs & Albert rods(there are others too), studs, precise machining (over and above a basic good 'ol boy rebuild) and other things cost a lot of cash and time

Anything less than 500hp with a turbo is poseur stuff ---

the motor needs to be built from the ground up for the turbos ---- putting the cost into the "if you have to ask .......... " category
i'd guess 8-10k would get you started in the right direction though

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:50 AM   #14
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

If you want an estimated cost on a setup, consider a minimum of $3000 using rebuilt used parts with a twin setup. This doesn't include a engine that will handle the amount of boost you would want to pump into one with twins.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Old 06-05-2008, 12:59 AM   #15
dammitmitchell
the pollock

whats wrogn with a supercharger and or a procharger????
a procharger is the hybrid of a super a d a turbo together..
i like prochargers more the two i have installed have been verrry verry fun..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:19 AM   #16
randyjohn

i'm not an expert on this subject but i've done my fair share of reading about turbos and had some blower experienceand i'll say first off is that a project as big as twin turbo-ing a 79 pickup is a daunting task. to start, try not to assume that your stock motor (if it is one?) is not ready to by any means to handle 2 turbos pumping air into it. if you were to put only one on or a blower, you might be able to get away without as much work. but for a twin setup this is what i understand. -and if anyone thinks i'm off base here please correct me-

An ENTIRE engine rebuild is in order to get the right compression ratio and to prevent catastrophic engine failure after 100 miles. 4 bolt main block is preferable (i have no idea what you have) along with a durable crank and rods (forged?). a set of new heads and a cam designed specifically for turbos or superchargers is advised if you're going to go with a twin turbo setup. a high cfm blow-thru carb is going to be necessary with any forced air induction setup. you're putting more air so you're going to need to be able to put in more gas. with that you're probably going to want to upgrade to a higher volume fuel pump preferably electric. also a more efficient ignition system is a good idea. that's the big things. but they're be a whole lot of others that pop up like the plumbing for a intercooler, the exhuast, intakes, boost guages, boring and honing and testing the block for cracks, some kind of intake box for the carb, etc.

a far as price... if you want to do a twin turbo setup well and want it to last... i would plan on spending at least $10k but more than likely alot more. i like blowers myself and would go with a vortech system like this one. price out from $3200 to $4300 depending on the goodies you want. http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...138&cat_key=13

again if anyone thinks i'm wrong please correct me.

'74 GMC 3/4 TON 2WD LB
randyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:33 AM   #17
streetstar

on a sidenote ---- it might be more cost effective to use a late model LS series motor as a basis for a turbo project than an old school 350. The 6 bolt mains are compelling.

The basic motor may be more expensive than the one between the fenderwells of 'ol Betsy, but you would save on other costs (find one with low miles -- re-cam it, plumb your turbo and go)

Old 06-05-2008, 02:00 AM   #18
randyjohn

i guess it took too long to type my post.

'74 GMC 3/4 TON 2WD LB
randyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:17 AM   #19
jrsmith_2010
I like turtles...

thanks guys for the help. Me and my dad recently put a new crate motor in it (less then 2000 miles on it). so i need to do work on heads and rebuild a crate motor?
Old 06-05-2008, 10:11 AM   #20
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsmith_2010 View Post
thanks guys for the help. Me and my dad recently put a new crate motor in it (less then 2000 miles on it). so i need to do work on heads and rebuild a crate motor?
in a word - yes, to optimize a turbo setup, rebuilding it would be in order. The stock bottom end probably is not sufficient to support turbo level hp's, as well the heads do not have enough exhaust scavenging ability to keep up and the cam would not have enough exhaust overlap
As well, forged pistons, billet rods and a forged crank will live a lot longer with a turbo setup. These are parts most crate motors don't have until you start opening the wallet w---i---d---e.
When you build for turbo level boost pressures (even nitrous) -- one of the main goals is to get the exhaust out of the engine as quickly as possible, so oftentimes, larger exhaust valves have to be cut for and installed into the heads.

As one of the other posters said, it would be much more cost efficient to go with a Paxton S/C, because you could control the boost level with your pulley diameter --- your stock crate motor doesn't need any more than 7 lbs of boost put on it, if that

Turbos can make big power, but belt-driven superchargers are still used quite effectively at all levels of drag racing too

Old 06-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #21
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

I am installing turbo's on 2 trucks.
1st one is a 1978 Jimmy with a standard SBC rebuilt motor that is COMPLETELY bone stock with 8.2:1 compression and only 1 turbo.
2nd is my 87 website truck that will have a LS 6.0L that is stock (for now) and it will have 2 turbo's on it.
Both will be Electronic EFI.
The 78 with the SBC has been converted to TPI and I am going to run it with a ECM from a GM turbo app (specifically a 7749 ECM -Syclone/Typhoon) It will NEVER see more than 5lbs of boost and it will have the wastegate spring set accordingly.
The 87 will have the stock SEFI setup and ECM with our tuning. It will most likely see 15-17lbs of boost at times and 8lbs normally.

Can you add it to a stock engine, most definitely. Can you crank the boost on it to the sky, DEFINITLY not. If you current ngine can run on 87 octane, you can safely add about 3-5lbs of boost running 91 octane (all the time). Throwing a carb in there complicates the matter as you have to have the carb setup correctly. A factory off the self carb won't work, you are going to have to change some stuff. Adding a second turbo to the mix adds even more complication.

I personally wouldn't attempt it as I HATE carbs, but there are guys doing it, but EFI simplifies alot of the fuel metering issues because if it ever gets wrong, you can grenade the engine.

If you are so inclined, check this forum out. This is a link to the Carb'd turbo section: http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...ebb&board=13.0
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Old 06-05-2008, 02:22 PM   #22
Pyrotechnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by method2mymadnes View Post
Banks is a big name, but don't even consider them for a second. I don't know what their prices are but I've heard it's VERY expensive. You could probably have a skilled private fabricator build you custom setup for less.

The way I see it is....if you're a proficient welder and fabricator and you have some time, turbo's are a good deal for you.

If you want something that's more of a kit, then go with a supercharger.

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 06-05-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:09 AM   #23
Burb
Coordinator of Synchronicity

ever heard of STS Turbo Systems, it was shown on TRUCKS sometime back and have been making rear mount Turbo systems for 7 + years now ... an amazing system.
http://www.ststurbo.com/universal_tu...ms...Universal TWIN Turbo System - starting at $2,745.00

Buy a Blow Through Carb and a MSD 6 BTM (Boost Timing Module) box

And THEN HANG ON

1971 Suburban ... W.I.P. Build Thread
Customization is ones personal touch-- not what other people think it should be

Last edited by Burb; 04-29-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #24
watahyahknow

ive seen those systems and allways suspected them to have a lot of turbolag because of the long pipes .
ive read a story in hot rod a while back of a guy who did a simulair setup and doesnt have turbolag at all , i guess they choose the turbos to cope with the longer pipes .

i do ask myself why to go with that system in a truck because theres enough room under the bonnet to stand next to the engine and still be able to move around , i would rather go with turbos connected to the headers connected to the sideor the front of the engine .
that does mean the headers get hotter and need to be stainless when youre running high boost .

there plenty stuff available for the small block a google search should help a lot but it will take a lot of cash to go intoo the higher horsepower without grenading the engine , low boost and mostly show is doable though on a smaller budget

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts

Last edited by watahyahknow; 04-29-2009 at 03:26 PM.
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:23 PM   #25
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
ive seen those systems and allways suspected them to have a lot of turbolag because of the long pipes .
ive read a story in hot rod a while back of a guy who did a simulair setup and doesnt have turbolag at all , i guess they choose the turbos to cope with the longer pipes .
My brother and I are dealers for STS, there is no lag in the system. The turbo, like all should be, are matched to the application. His Silverado with a now transplanted stock '02 6.0L from a Van is putting down 490hp/613lb-ft
on 9lbs and 606/800 on 15lb at the wheel (bigger injectors).
This is the site: http://www.gracemotorsports.com
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com