The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

EFI Tank Pump ?

Hey everyone,

I need to know if anyone is running the stock in-tank fuel pump with a aftermarket regulator supplying a carb ?

Can it be done without problems ?

I'm having fuel pickup problems with my 97 502 crate (carb) and heard I could go back to the tank pump instead of the frame mounted Holley pump.

Thanks for any insight !
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:43 PM   #2
jchav62
1962 C-10

Re: EFI Tank Pump ?

Seems to me that an EFI in-tank fuel pump would be too much pressure for a carb.
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/

1962 C10 Shortbed Fleetside 327/th350 GV overdrive
1974 C10 Longbed Fleetside 350/th350 "The Trash Truck"
1999 Chevy 2500 OBS, Longbed 5.7/4L80E 4x4
2015 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4x4
jchav62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
slug

i bet you can do it, but you will need a bypass type pressure regulator and a return line. wich if your truck had efi to begin with you should already have the return line.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:59 AM   #4
D13

TBI pump puts out enough flow to support 9-13PSI to feed a 3800RPM 454. Put a bypass (i.e. with return line) regulator before the carb and set it to 4.5psi at the carb. Oh, and if you spin your 502 up over about 5000 RPM, the stock pump and lines will not keep up.

But really you would be better off relocating the tank pick-up to feed your existing pump. Is the pump below the tank (so that it can siphon gas easier), near the tank (so it doesn't have to pull fuel far) and is the pickup unit almost to the bottom (like, you dont have a big capacity tank and a short sending unit)? remember the inlet for the pump wants to be below the fuel level, and the pump is a pusher not a puller.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:36 AM   #5
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Thanks for the replies.....

D13,

Here's the deal;

I know the P.O and he always had a problem with running out of gas with about 10 gals left in the tank.

When he owned the truck we took the tank sending unit out two different times over the years and found nothing wrong with it at all (no air leaks).

The stock in-tank pump was removed and a hose installed in it's place from the top of the sender to the spring loaded lower pump cradle so it is pulling from the bottom of the tank.

The pump is even with the bottom of the tank with a regulator up by the carb. but has no return line back to the tank.

Thanks
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote