The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
Fraser Beatty

Turn Signal Problem

I have a strange problem with my rear left light assembly that I just can't seem to figure out. The reverse lights and tail light/side indicator work. But the turn signal will not work, and neither will the braking indicator when you step on the brake. I have tried everything. I replaced all bulbs with brand new ones (known to be good as I checked them in another truck), replaced the flasher can (also known to be good), replaced fuses, and cleaned the ground in the assembly.

Are there any other grounds in the circuit that I should clean? Is it maybe a problem with an individual wire somewhere between the turn signal switch and the bulb itself? Any other ideas on where to look? Thanks for the help.
1983 Chevrolet C10- SOLD
1983 Chevrolet Camaro- SOLD
1985 GMC C1500 (Dad's truck)
1985 GMC C3500 Crew Cab Dually- TRADED FOR 61 GMC
1997 Dodge Ram 1500 V6 Shortbox- Daily Driver
Fraser Beatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:44 PM   #2
85gmcguy
Plays with trucks

Re: Turn Signal Problem

Just a thought, you could pull the tail light connecter (center and end of bed) apart and check there for voltage at the pin for the high (bright) side with the brake applied. Would at least give you an idea of which direction to work.

My Dad's Old Truck
85gmcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:06 PM   #3
Fraser Beatty

What's the connector supposed to look like? You don't happen to have a picture do you? The PO left a mess of wiring under there with his trailer wiring attempts, and it gives me a headache just looking at it . Anybody else have suggestions on where to look?
1983 Chevrolet C10- SOLD
Old 06-06-2008, 10:24 AM   #4
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Fraser, you just answered your own question. Added trailer wireing. $5 will get you $10 it wasen't done very well and the wireing has corroded and broken (look for green deposits on the wires) Cut out the trailer stuff out one wire at a time, check circut operation with a jumper wire installed, and if it works, use a heat shrink crip connector to make the permanant repair. Walmart has the connectors. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:37 PM   #5
Fraser Beatty

I got under the truck, removed a bunch of the non-functioning trailer wiring (most if it was already disconnected by the PO, just not removed) to simplify things, and found my problem. There was a break in the turn signal wire underneath the bumper. I connected the two ends together, and everything seemed to be working fine.

Suddenly though, none of the turn signals will work when the headlights are on. Turn the headlights off, and they work again as normal. Is this related to my first problem? Could I have done something at the rear of the truck to cause this?
1983 Chevrolet C10- SOLD
Old 06-15-2008, 09:59 PM   #6
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Fraser, you lost the ground for the rear lamps is all. The ground is behind the left rear tail lamp assembly. If thats good trace the wire down to where it connects to the harnace for the rear lamps. I think thats where you'll find the trouble. Trailer wireing is almost never installed properly. Jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote