The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #1
Fan2zee

Vintage Air... Compressor Noise

On my 68', only when I turn on the A/C the compressor starts squealing.

After quickly evaluating it, it appears that the belt is slipping on the compressor which is causing the squeal. I did the normal thumb-tension test on the belt, which is approx. 3/8" of movement.

I've attached a picture of the setup..

How tight is to tight to on a belt?
Attached Images

Fan2zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:48 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: Vintage Air... Compressor Noise

Belt might be a little loose...or clutch could be going out. When this happened to mine, it was the clutch.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
matthufham

i have vintage air and just got it working this week. mine squeeled, and my bracket for the headers caused the compressor to be at an angle and it would squeal and the belt would slip off, i fixed the bracket which was a little bent and it stopped squealing. the compressor is still about 1/4 inch far back though
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #4
Hair

While we're are on the subject of vintage air, how good do they work? I mean do they work good? I like it COOOOOOLD especially if I spend $1000 on an A/C system. Will they run you out of the truck in the dead of summer?
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:00 PM   #5
leddzepp

My dad's friend is a Vintage Air dealer. He put one in his truck and it blows 34 degree air...2 degrees above freezing. He lives in Lake Havasu City, Az, with 125 degree summers and no problems.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:07 AM   #6
matthufham

update. now that i drove it with the correctly straightened bracket its still too far back, still squeals, still had the belt slip off. i'm gonna have to space the compressor foward.

got a 350 with headers and short water pump. bought the correct brackets from vintage air.

maybe i need a different belt?

the system blows 35 degrees and the fan works great

Last edited by matthufham; 06-10-2008 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:18 AM   #7
acl

Is this compressor new. has the freon and oil completely circulated thru? try belt dressing before changing belt. gary
acl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:21 AM   #8
Fan2zee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
While we're are on the subject of vintage air, how good do they work? I mean do they work good? I like it COOOOOOLD especially if I spend $1000 on an A/C system. Will they run you out of the truck in the dead of summer?
It works good. It's not as good as today's vehicle. But by far, I don't have to keep it wide open on "high" even on a 96 degree/100% humidity day, once the cab is cool.

I've had the system since 1999 and this has been my first minor issue.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:25 AM   #9
Fan2zee

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthufham View Post
i have vintage air and just got it working this week. mine squeeled, and my bracket for the headers caused the compressor to be at an angle and it would squeal and the belt would slip off, i fixed the bracket which was a little bent and it stopped squealing. the compressor is still about 1/4 inch far back though
My exhaust bracket was 1/4" to far forward. Which made it easier for me to grind off the 1/4" off the front off and add one 1/4" back spacer for the header bracket. And had to take off 1/4" off the spacer for the engine bracket. Unlike you will have to add a 1/4" to the front and take off the 1/4" from the back. Even with spacers and some grinding are you sure you have to buy new brackets? I can post pics of my modification to show you if need...
Old 06-10-2008, 12:00 PM   #10
matthufham

Quote:
Originally Posted by acl View Post
Is this compressor new. has the freon and oil completely circulated thru? try belt dressing before changing belt. gary
it came shipped filled with oil and warned not to add oil. i actually took my truck to a mechanic to do a leak test because i overlooked a fitting on the evaporator and he found it in a second, and then filled the system with r134.

the first belt i bought which was too long was a skinny, softer belt, and the one i have now is bigger and harder. the small one never squealed or slipped off, but it was too long. are there different kinds of v belts?

and fan2zee, thanks for the insides on your bracket, i don't need pics though. i have alot of metal fab skills, and i'll get-r-done. thanks

Last edited by matthufham; 06-10-2008 at 12:01 PM.