The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
sleepertruck72

Carb problems

I have not had any problems with my truck until today I was going to take a spin in my truck. Well the truck turned on like it usually does but about 10 seconds of idling and it died. Really unusual. I tried to start it again, but it wouldnt stay on if I didnt floor the gas pedal and hold it. I checked my fuel lines and the gas is flowing good. I checked the fuel filter and it had a rattle. It is those metal canister type. I dont remember having a rattle in it when I put it in, so I went and bought another filter put it in, and still my truck will not stay on. The gas will drip out of the carb into the intake manifold and I have no idea what to do. I even replaced the fuel lines. Is my carb screwed ?
The carb is a Holley 600 vacuum secondaries electric choke. It came with my crate motor when I bought it. Any suggestions ?
Old 06-09-2008, 09:19 PM   #2
jimfulco

Re: Carb problems

Might have gotten some kind of debris under the inlet valve needle, causing the carb to overflow and a rich condition. I'd tap the area near the inlet with a big screwdriver handle or a shoe to see if it'll knock loose. If your carb has the sight plugs on the sides, see if gas flows out of them when you take out. If a bunch flows out, the needle is probably stuck open somehow or another.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:26 PM   #3
sleepertruck72

I tapped it with the handle of a screwdriver but no luck it still floods it. Sounds like I need to replace some parts in the carb ?
Old 06-10-2008, 04:55 PM   #4
Wrenchbender Ret

If your carb has adjustable needle & seats you can remove them from outside the carb. Remove the sloted screw & turn the needle with a wrench on the hex till it comes up from the threads. Save the gaskets. Pull the valve out & clean it. Put it back in & turn it down with the hex nut till the top is about the center of the nut. Put the gasket under the nut & put the screw & gasket in & snug it down. You can do both this way or if you know which side is flooding just do the corresponding one. Start the engine & after it runs a bit to normalize remove the sight plug on the side of the bowl. The fuel level should be right at thge bottom of the hole. To adjust it loosen the screw & turn the nut clockwise to lower it & counter clockwise to raise it.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
michael23v

I had a similair problem and tried everything just to find out that somehow my distributor got loose and just needed to be timed again after a slight adjustment.

Then i made sure it was not going to move again.

everything is fine again now with nothing replaced and no money spent.

might not be your problem but I would say check it out just in case.
michael23v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:50 PM   #6
sleepertruck72

I ended up taking off the carb and checked both valves for debris, and what do you know, a tiny I mean tiny piece of what seemed to be rubber was in the secondaries valve. I cleaned both valves out and hooked it all up, and vroom vroom she started right up. I took her for a spin and everybody is happy.