The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2008, 07:44 PM   #1
rockdogg

calling all garage mechanic's

as alot of you know through past contact, I am new to this classic truck arena. was curious if any of the oldies would be interested in throwing some info out there like what-fits-what?

we have only owned our vehicle a short time and have put together a wish list for this coming winter.

first and foremost would like to upgrade to a newer style frame with IFS, power steering and brakes.

been doing lots of research the past month, newer full size truck frames, S-10 frames, Camaro and other such sub-frames.

definately not afraid of some work, let the options fly and will keep everyone informed and updated as project proceeds w/photos.

Last edited by rockdogg; 06-10-2008 at 07:44 PM.
rockdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
pugs

Re: calling all garage mechanic's

i went with a nova clip on my 57, had it cut and tacked, in about 3 hours

Old 06-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
rockdogg

looks pretty straight forward and nice.

does anyone know if a mid-60's Cutlass frame would fit under a '56 PU? and how much work would there be to re-locate body mounts.

Last edited by rockdogg; 06-10-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:59 PM   #4
PDW HOTRODS

It could probably be made to work, but I would use one that already has disc brakes, it would save time and money.
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:48 AM   #5
Kim57

My 57 has a 67 chevelle front clip on it. This is the best pic I have of it right now. If done properly it is a very clean install.
Kim
Attached Images

Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #6
rockdogg

as of current replies, it seems that most go for the cut-n-patch front-end.

the main reason I asked about the Cutlass is that there is one available near me that was an original "442" and is a rolling chassis w/10 bolt posi-rearend. which I'm sure you all realize that would be a pretty good upgrade if doable.

and yes, disc brakes at least up front. this would be IFS, power disc brakes and steering. with a 10 bolt posi-rearend.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:59 PM   #7
Kim57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdogg View Post
as of current replies, it seems that most go for the cut-n-patch front-end.

the main reason I asked about the Cutlass is that there is one available near me that was an original "442" and is a rolling chassis w/10 bolt posi-rearend. which I'm sure you all realize that would be a pretty good upgrade if doable.

and yes, disc brakes at least up front. this would be IFS, power disc brakes and steering. with a 10 bolt posi-rearend.
What year cutlass is it?
1964 to 1972 were considered "A" bodies which is what the chevelle is so it should be the same as the clip on my 57. There are a ton of upgrades you can do to it to improve on what they came from the factory with.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:52 PM   #8
rockdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
What year cutlass is it?
1964 to 1972 were considered "A" bodies which is what the chevelle is so it should be the same as the clip on my 57. There are a ton of upgrades you can do to it to improve on what they came from the factory with.
Kim
it's actually a '67, I'm currently looking into the cut and patch front-end and just adapting the rear-end to fit the stock frame. should be relatively close in axle width.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:30 AM   #9
mr48chev

That chassis would work fine for the swap if you do it like Pugs and Kim57 did theirs. the 442 Chassis should have a hd sway bar and possibly a 12 bolt rear end. You can swap on disk brakes on the front using 71/72 Chevelle/Monte Carlo disks and hardware. All the tricky slicky poly bushings and pieces are available for the front end and easy to find.

I would suggest one thing if you do it. Set the front suspension on blocks at the original ride height for that Car. About 6-1/2 inches from the bottom center of the crossmember to the floor (this is with no wheels on it) You might have to wiggle under a stock 442 and measure from the middle of the crossmember to the pavement. you can fudge a bit if you know that the wheel/tire combo you intend to run is going to be a lot different from the stock 442 setup. Then set the truck and chassis at the height you want it to set at when you are done. again on blocks Set the truck level at this time, don't worry about a rake at this time as you want the chassis and clip to be level and square to each other. Now inch then together a bit at a time until you get the wheel base correct. When you are sure that everything is square tack it together and measure again.

I did exactly that when I put the Nova stub under my 51 Merc 25 years ago and it came out perfect. I didn't have to swap or cut springs to change ride height and it rode great even though it was pretty low.

My buddy has done a dozen or so of these trucks using the Chevelle-Cutlass style front stubs and they have turned out pretty well.

Last edited by mr48chev; 06-12-2008 at 12:31 AM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:34 PM   #10
rockdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
That chassis would work fine for the swap if you do it like Pugs and Kim57 did theirs. the 442 Chassis should have a hd sway bar and possibly a 12 bolt rear end.
thanks for the in-depth reply, that's more the type of reply I am looking for. not that I'm looking for someone to tell me how or do it for me. just some info from people experienced about tips and what mistakes to try and avoid.

some people say I think too much, I'd rather think about a project many times and do it once than do the project many times because you forgot about this and that.