The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2008, 12:44 AM   #1
Kracin

cut springs on a 69, confusion????

ok, ive searched plenty of times before finally registering so i could ask this, but i cant seem to figure out what everyone else is doing when it comes to cutting the springs and reinstalling them. i own a 69 fleetside and want to lower it, this is a restore to sell project, so any DIY is a good thing.

i look at the springs on the back and it comes to a smaller circle at the tp and bottom, and cutting away that point is going to take away the place where the spring is held in place, anyone else know what im talkin about? i cant figure out how else to mount the spring after cutting it, unless im missing some other spring mount from another truck or something

thanks in advance for the tips!

Ian
Kracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:29 AM   #2
my70chevyc10

Re: cut springs on a 69, confusion????

Someone did the cheepest lowering job to my truck when i first got it they cut the rear springs in half so the frame just layed on the top of the spring and wasnt attatched to anything. You cant and i repeat you cant cut the rear springs you can only use lowered springs you can cut the front ones for every full coil you cut it lowers the truck 3in

If for some reason i loose to a import...At least i can go home knowing the vehicle i drive drops girls panties...
my70chevyc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:59 AM   #3
Kracin

Quote:
Originally Posted by my70chevyc10 View Post
Someone did the cheepest lowering job to my truck when i first got it they cut the rear springs in half so the frame just layed on the top of the spring and wasnt attatched to anything. You cant and i repeat you cant cut the rear springs you can only use lowered springs you can cut the front ones for every full coil you cut it lowers the truck 3in
man i musta been misreading all the info on lowering then, cause some people stated that they didnt buy anything and just cut them all??? no one ever made another spring retainer for the rear or anything?
Kracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
myoldchevytruck
Retired Air Force Veteran

kracin,

As my70chevy said, don't cut the rear coils! If you cut them (as you already have seen by visual inspection of the coil) you will cut the smaller coil that seats in the retainer cup.

I replaced my rear coils when lowering 6" coils. I got mine from GMC Paul but you may consider Early Classic Enterprises (ECE) since there in Cali. Check out the link. There $114.00 plus the shipping.

If lowering the rear 3" inches or more, you will also have to go to an adjustable track bar. If you call ECE, they can give you all the info on that.

One the front springs, as my70chevy stated, one ring is about 3 inches. I did this and it seems fine. It lowered okay but I would still like drop spindles with bags in the front and rear. Right now I'm at a 3/6 drop.

Here's how mine sits with the 3/6 drop. Right now I'm running 235/75/15 in the front and 275/60/15 tires. My next tires will be BF Goodrich TA Radials.

kracin, I sent you a PM.

Swap 6 Lug to 5 Lug (w/ Disk Brakes in Front)
3/6 Drop

Help Support The Board
Click Here For Information On How To Subscribe

Krue's FAQ Page

Vendors
myoldchevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
caminokid
Chevy nut

This is what someone did to my 69 stepper.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:04 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

if you're talkin about the 3 center coils being like that, thats how they came from the factory.
Kracin, you can make lowering blocks real easy and cheap.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #7
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
if you're talkin about the 3 center coils being like that, thats how they came from the factory.
Kracin, you can make lowering blocks real easy and cheap.
Well that made me go out and look at 3 sets of springs! I looked at the trailer and the 69 in the garage...and your right...all 3 are the same.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"

Last edited by caminokid; 06-12-2008 at 01:08 PM.
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:13 PM   #8
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post

Yep! Supposed to be that way.

BEATERS ARE NEATER
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
Sinisterspeed

There is another thing you could do if your ok using a torch. Its hard to get them even if you don't know what your doing. I used to do alot of lowering for people and if the springs are like the ones on the back of these trucks what I would do is pick a coil spot 1 or 2 coils from the end of the spring and heat about 2-3 inch span on the one coil until the "spring" of that section would relax out of it. Then do the same to the other side. If still not low enough goto the next coil up and do the same. Once your done you check the height with full weight on the ground and reheat the side thats higher. Keep end mind the springs are shot once you do this and you cannot make them longer again in anyway to start with alittle then go more if you want. If your going to toss the springs anyway you might want to try this if your going to haul much of anything in this truck it will take away from the ride of course as it does with any cut springs as well. This is by far the cheapest way do get where you want to go but if it doesn't turn out right you might end up replacing them anyway. To get this to work you need the weight of the truck on the springs while heating jack up by the axle and set stands under each spring to get the height even while trying to heat the springs.

Hope this helps, Not the best way to lower a truck but it works and it costs nothing. (might want to unhook one end of the shock while doing this since they might cause the truck not to lower when bottomed out and you wont be able to tell when enough is enough until its to late.)

70 GMC Longhorn (A.K.A Money Bucket)
57 Chev 3100
05 Chevy LLY Dmax.
67 Chevy Camaro

Dad's Budget Build 55

My Longhorn Build
Sinisterspeed is offline   Reply With Quote