The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
lyrikz
PITbut

MSD worth it???

I have a 454. I have an HEI distributor. Some people were talking about getting a MSD 6al and coil and that will make the truck run better, or more spark. that a good setup to have or what..

I dont want to be buying something that really wont benefit me any. My engine builder stated that the more ignition i can run through that motor, the longer it will last and better it will run. Thoughts???
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
lyrikz
PITbut

Re: MSD worth it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikz View Post
I have a 454. I have an HEI distributor. Some people were talking about getting a MSD 6al and coil and that will make the truck run better, or more spark. that a good setup to have or what..

I dont want to be buying something that really wont benefit me any. My engine builder stated that the more ignition i can run through that motor, the longer it will last and better it will run. Thoughts???
ANYONE!!!!
Old 06-13-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
neonlarry

For a street engine its more eye candy than anything else, a stock HEI in good condition will run your engine just as well.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
ProStreet68SB
The Engine Whisperer

if you do end up wanting to run a box, dont get a msd 6al look at mallory boxes, they're cheaper and work better... or better yet look at the summit boxes (mallory makes them) and they're even cheaper than the mallory boxes.
ProStreet68SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreet68SB View Post
if you do end up wanting to run a box, dont get a msd 6al look at mallory boxes, they're cheaper and work better... or better yet look at the summit boxes (mallory makes them) and they're even cheaper than the mallory boxes.
I can get the msd with coil for 100 bucks... Buddy has it..

The engine is kinda built.. Big cam... I just figured that MSD had to put out more spark then a standard HEI dist.. More constant... IDK...
Old 06-13-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
72-c20
Packrat

I had really good success with a MSD 6A on another make of vehicle...
72-c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
chevy72blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreet68SB View Post
Where are you getting this from?

I probably wouldnt pick up a brand new MSD ignition system if everything you have is working fine. The biggest improvement you will see is at start up and idle. If I were you, I would buy an MSD 6a box (same as the 6al but without the rev limiter which is unneccesary on a N/A street car) used on ebay and install it with your current setup. The truck will start faster and idle smoother with less rpm variance at idle if you currently have some. Some people have experienced slight gains in fuel mileage with them, but it wasnt noticeable for me. The multiple spark discharge isnt going to feel any different until you get to 4500 RPM or so. My motor revved faster up top and seemed to pull a little harder. Unfortunately, I cant give you an accurate before/after quarter mile time so I cant confirm this. My motor was too rich when I installed it and I went from fouling plugs flogging on it at the drag strip to checking the plugs and finding a much better situation without changing jetting in the carb (I was still learning a lot at the time).

The used units are dirt cheap, and if it craps out you can send it to MSD and for 30-40 bucks they will refurbish it and you will still be out less money than buying a new one.

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy72blu View Post
Where are you getting this from?

I probably wouldnt pick up a brand new MSD ignition system if everything you have is working fine. The biggest improvement you will see is at start up and idle. If I were you, I would buy an MSD 6a box (same as the 6al but without the rev limiter which is unneccesary on a N/A street car) used on ebay and install it with your current setup. The truck will start faster and idle smoother with less rpm variance at idle if you currently have some. Some people have experienced slight gains in fuel mileage with them, but it wasnt noticeable for me. The multiple spark discharge isnt going to feel any different until you get to 4500 RPM or so. My motor revved faster up top and seemed to pull a little harder. Unfortunately, I cant give you an accurate before/after quarter mile time so I cant confirm this. My motor was too rich when I installed it and I went from fouling plugs flogging on it at the drag strip to checking the plugs and finding a much better situation without changing jetting in the carb (I was still learning a lot at the time).

The used units are dirt cheap, and if it craps out you can send it to MSD and for 30-40 bucks they will refurbish it and you will still be out less money than buying a new one.
Its a new unit with the coil. I figure it cant hurt... It will see alot of idling being i will take it to shows ya know.. So for 100 bucks, i dont think i can lose.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:14 PM   #9
Sicmaro
Always wrenching!!

up until i changed both my ride to LSx engines I always ran the MSD dist., blaster coil, and 6AL box. MSD is great stuff. You cant go wrong.
19 RZR XP4 turbo Dynamix
56 Belair 5.3/4L60E swap in progress
Sicmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:17 PM   #10
haysonj

I bought the 6A unit just because I think it looks good on the fender. I really can't tell any differance in the way the truck runs. I'm going to a Edlebrock TBI and I hope it will work with it.
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2008, 07:21 PM   #11
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

I'm running a 6A with an MSD coil and dizze, and MSD wires, and Accel shorty plugs. (header clearance)

I don't have any complaints, but on the other hand, I have 5 fingers.
Wait, wrong line. On the other hand I haven't noticed any appreciable gains in performance, other than starting.
With the MSD system, if my engine cranks more than 2 revolutions before starting, I wonder, "What's wrong?"

A couple of side notes: I'm running a 355/TH350, with 4.11 gears.
I don't normally twist my engine real hard. I have been know, though, when I have to merge with freeway traffic to manually shift to 2nd gear and nail it. I come out of 2nd at about 70-75 MPH and a bit over 5000 Rpm. I've never had a miss.
The reason I went to MSD was the truck had an Accel dizzie in it when I bought it. It was a total POS.
I don't know if it just that particular dizzie, or what; because I ran an Accel in my big block flat bottom and never had any problems.
So I'm not bad mouthing Accel.

Sorry for rambling so long guys, but I wanted to contribute my .02 and make sure I sort of had everything clear.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:26 AM   #12
bigsnookmaster

I run a MSD 6AL with a Pro-Billet dist and blaster2 coil.This setup works great,but I have a 10.5 to 1 comp.and a mechanical roller cam with approx 580 lift in a 406 small block.I had a $150 Mallory HEI Dist in it before this motor and it worked great.I personally would take the Mallory,drop it in and go.I went to the MSD only after putting the roller cam in it.You just need more ignition with this much cam.My truck ran 12.40 at 113mph with my old 406 with a 150 shot of NOS with the Mallory with no problem.Just my .02
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:26 AM   #13
Billla
Account Suspended

Search is your friend; I wrote a post on this

The stock HEI runs out of steam at about 5200 RPM; aftermarket HEI will deliver up to 6500 or so. Unless you're making >= 1.2 HP/CID and/or turning regularly over 5500 RPM, the stock setup is fine. A CD box can make starting easier, and may deliver *slightly* better fuel economy.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:34 AM   #14
67 cst swb

MSD 6AL & Coil for $100.00... Buy it,...
MSD ignition is the 2nd best improvement you can do to a trucks performance, Rearend gears are the best improvement...
Most aftermarket performance ignition "boxes" out there are good, I believe MSD to be the best.
Go to your nearest Drag Strip, You will see MSD on most of the cars there. MSD is my choice, maybe a Jacobs next...
Back in my performance parts selling days, I've sold them all (MSD, Jacobs, Mallory, Accel, Firepower, Vertex, etc..). When it comes to manufacturers MSD is the best to deal with, either as a seller or customer. At Mallory unless your a big seller your nobody.
You will always find 4 friends that can help you with a MSD system, Mallory you'll either be lucky to find 1 or 2 or none at all...
Any box you buy will be and improvement,... MSD would be what I'd buy anyway... And to find this for $100.00, I'd be ATMing cash out today.
If your running an Hei already you don't really need the Coil, you can hook up the 6al to your hei, you would need to buy a MSD part# 8850,8860 & 8861 (maybe $30-$40 total) or you could run a MSD part# 8401 which is a coil cover with a coil tower in it then remove the stock coil and run the external (MSD) coil,... there are a couple options to can use, but getting a 6al is a perfect start....
link: check out page 16 & 17, plus there are other options as well
http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/6%20series/6series.pdf
also check out:
http://www.msdignition.com/
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White

Last edited by 67 cst swb; 06-14-2008 at 10:24 AM.
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:10 AM   #15
FIVE 0

Yah what he said.

MSD for $100 is worth it no matter how you look at it.

The most comon missconseption is that MSD boxes help on the top end. Well yes that may be true due to the fact that you can run more cam, timing, and carb, because it keeps it clean on the low end. Look at their web site or get instructions. MSD can only fire multi spark to about 3000 rpm. What that means is you are burning all your fuel during "regular" driving, faster starts, smoother idol etc. If you have a hard time getting your setup right with air fuel mix for both idol and performance then this will for sure help.

I run one on my v drive boat with a BBC and like it, would not go back. If nothing else, if you dont like it you can make money on ebay.

Just my .02.5
FIVE 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:37 AM   #16
Bob 68327
72 Chevelle Club

I'm runnin ' the pro billet HEI with the ultimate kit that has the rev limiter under the cap on my small block and it works great.

1972 Chevelle ... Mine

2006 Trailblazer... Hers

2002 Buick century ... Kids

2002 K1500 Z-71 EXT CAB ... Daily Driver

2005 Rockwood Roo ... For Camping

1974 Harley-Davidson XLH Sportster 84'' stroker
Bob 68327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #17
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billla View Post
Search is your friend; I wrote a post on this

The stock HEI runs out of steam at about 5200 RPM; aftermarket HEI will deliver up to 6500 or so. Unless you're making >= 1.2 HP/CID and/or turning regularly over 5500 RPM, the stock setup is fine. A CD box can make starting easier, and may deliver *slightly* better fuel economy.
Billa, billa, billa. Im so glad your my neighbor. ahaha...

I like the easy start, and the cleaner running.. thats all i need to hear about that really...

When i get back off vacation, i will be setting my motor in... I will drop you a line sir.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #18
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 cst swb View Post
MSD 6AL & Coil for $100.00... Buy it,...
MSD ignition is the 2nd best improvement you can do to a trucks performance, Rearend gears are the best improvement...
Most aftermarket performance ignition "boxes" out there are good, I believe MSD to be the best.
Go to your nearest Drag Strip, You will see MSD on most of the cars there. MSD is my choice, maybe a Jacobs next...
Back in my performance parts selling days, I've sold them all (MSD, Jacobs, Mallory, Accel, Firepower, Vertex, etc..). When it comes to manufacturers MSD is the best to deal with, either as a seller or customer. At Mallory unless your a big seller your nobody.
You will always find 4 friends that can help you with a MSD system, Mallory you'll either be lucky to find 1 or 2 or none at all...
Any box you buy will be and improvement,... MSD would be what I'd buy anyway... And to find this for $100.00, I'd be ATMing cash out today.
If your running an Hei already you don't really need the Coil, you can hook up the 6al to your hei, you would need to buy a MSD part# 8850,8860 & 8861 (maybe $30-$40 total) or you could run a MSD part# 8401 which is a coil cover with a coil tower in it then remove the stock coil and run the external (MSD) coil,... there are a couple options to can use, but getting a 6al is a perfect start....
link: check out page 16 & 17, plus there are other options as well
http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/6%20series/6series.pdf
also check out:
http://www.msdignition.com/
Thank you for the super ninja info. I didnt even think i would need that coil.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:02 PM   #19
72-c20
Packrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIVE 0 View Post
Yah what he said.

MSD for $100 is worth it no matter how you look at it.
yeah. got mine used for $50
72-c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:33 PM   #20
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 cst swb View Post
MSD 6AL & Coil for $100.00

Go to your nearest Drag Strip, You will see MSD on most of the cars there.
Where would you get this for $100? 6AL alone is $220; their complete upgrade kits are around $325. Why a rev limiter for the street?

My point exactly - it's another one of those racing parts that really has no place on a street car unless it's a racing car prowling the street
Old 06-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #21
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIVE 0 View Post
The most comon missconseption is that MSD boxes help on the top end. Well yes that may be true due to the fact that you can run more cam, timing, and carb, because it keeps it clean on the low end. Look at their web site or get instructions. MSD can only fire multi spark to about 3000 rpm. What that means is you are burning all your fuel during "regular" driving, faster starts, smoother idol etc. If you have a hard time getting your setup right with air fuel mix for both idol and performance then this will for sure help.
The misconception here is multispark vs. CD. Multispark aids combustion at startup through midrange, but CD is what provides support on the top-end. You can search for one of my posts on this, but it's all about recharge time for the coil - at higher RPM, there is insufficient time for the coil to build a full charge, so the output voltage is lower. CD provides full spark voltage all the way through the RPM range. Multispark is nice, CD is MANDATORY at higher RPMs (as posted).

Last edited by Billla; 06-14-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:13 PM   #22
chevy72blu

Quote:
Billa, billa, billa. Im so glad your my neighbor. ahaha...

I like the easy start, and the cleaner running.. thats all i need to hear about that really...

When i get back off vacation, i will be setting my motor in... I will drop you a line sir.
I would MOVE to monroe, WA, across the street from Billla. I could quit coming to this forum all together.
Lucky bastard...

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:18 PM   #23
67 cst swb

post #5.. see above

Quote:
I can get the msd with coil for 100 bucks... Buddy has it..

The engine is kinda built.. Big cam... I just figured that MSD had to put out more spark then a standard HEI dist.. More constant... IDK...
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck

Last edited by 67 cst swb; 06-14-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:27 PM   #24
67 cst swb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billla View Post
Why a rev limiter for the street?

My point exactly - it's another one of those racing parts that really has no place on a street car unless it's a racing car prowling the street
STREET Performance is exactly what I'm suggesting here.
http://www.msdignition.com/1ignitions.htm
Easier start up - cleaner burning - rev limiter (tell me you've never heard of someone floating valves on the street, plus you put a small chip in there when someone else is "borrowing" your ride)
Plus, I'm not saying put a 7AL with a 3-step rev limiter and a high speed timimg retard in it....
"just a 6AL he can get for $100.00..."

Last edited by 67 cst swb; 06-14-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:41 PM   #25
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy72blu View Post
I would MOVE to monroe, WA, across the street from Billla. I could quit coming to this forum all together.
Lucky bastard...
hehehehe... I havent tapped him for anything yet.. He is going to come over and check what i have done before i start the motor up... He was the designer behind the engine... well, rough design...