The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
TimC63

Question Radiators: Stock Mounting Location(s)

I'm swapping out the radiator in my '63 for the simple fact that I believe it's the incorrect one for my truck (top hose on passenger side), it has a small leak, and I'm rattle-canning my engine bay.

I believe the stock mounting set-up used two bottom retainers with rubber pads along with a single top bracket retainer (as in Chief Rocka's pic & someone’s cool truck).

I guess my real question is: Was this the only set-up or was there another configuration using the six mounting holes on the radiator support as shown in the LMC pic (if not, what were these six holes for)? Does anyone sell the top bracket?

I'd like to figure out what the stock set-up(s) were before I start looking at some of the custom aluminum radiator posts. I know they have direct-fit aluminums from several manufactures...but...$$$.

Name:  LMC Radiator.JPG
Views: 607
Size:  38.5 KB
Name:  Cheif Rock's Radiator.JPG
Views: 580
Size:  43.5 KB
Name:  enginea.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  61.6 KB

Last edited by TimC63; 06-16-2008 at 07:17 PM.
TimC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
Chevy Fleetside

Re: Radiators: Stock Mounting Location(s)

Those 6 holes are used to bolt some metal flanges or sleeve or even plates if you want to call them that and it held the fan shroud in place. At least mine did. Mostly used for the V8 trucks.. I have the pieces of sheet metal in my garage somewhere. If I happen to see them I will snap a picture for you but don't hold your breath.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
billydonn
Council of the Elders

There were two stock mounting schemes and you have pictures of both of them. The radiators both sit down in lower saddles (rubber pads) and are held down from the top by a single bracket (also with rubber padding). Your last pic appears to be some sort of crossflow rad that has been adapted use the later style stock mounting brackets.

Your first pic is of the earlier rad, used mostly I think for six cyllinders... maybe through 63 or so. It places the two lower cradles back away from the front support and uses a taller skillier rad and a different upper support bracket. The later radiator is wider and not as tall. Its lower cradles are bolted to the forward holes in the radiator crossmember... and its upper mounting bracket is different (shown in your second pic). A complication is that this later rad comes in both a "thick" and a "thin" version, and each of these has its own upper and lower mounting bracket. Both of these remain downflow rads and their tanks are NOT the same thickness. Here's pics of these two late style rads:
Attached Images

Truck Pictures: http://community.webshots.com/user/billydonn
Truck Video: http://good-times.webshots.com/video...ost=good-times

Last edited by billydonn; 06-17-2008 at 09:08 AM. Reason: clarify
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
66Gilbert
1966 Crew Cab & 4X4 Fanatic

The thin and thick radiator shown above. The thin looks like a 3 core radiator used on some 6 cylinder and V-8 engines with out A/C. The thick looks like a 4 core radiator used on V-8 engines with A/C or on 4X4's with a V-8. They have different mounting brackets top and bottom for 3 core or 4 core.
66Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:35 PM   #5
Anthony Fremont

My 66 GMC is like the second pic you posted. The inlet is centered in the top tank and the water neck points straight forward. I believe my radiator may be the original since the top tank is embossed with "Harrison", but it's in outstanding condition if it is. It sits in two saddles like the picture shows with rubbery foam padding. The top bracket has two pads and clamps the radiator in the center. I can take pictures tomorrow if you'd like.
'97 1200C Sportster
Anthony Fremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
MikeN

Tim, Modine sells a stock replacement V8 radiator, like the one in your lower photo, for about $240 at your local radiator shop. It is a new copper/brass radiator. If you can find a used V8 upper bracket (they are not reproduced as far as I know) you can then get the lower mounts from any of the truck parts houses and you are in business. It's a straight bolt-in. The Modine does have provisions for ATF cooler.

The V8 radiator sits on top of the frame rails, while the narrower I6 radiator slides down between the frame rails.

Last edited by MikeN; 06-17-2008 at 10:56 AM.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
TimC63

Thanks for the help guys...I'm not going to hold my breath on finding a top bracket...I'd probably be better off fabbing one out.

I spoke with Brothers and supposedly they have options for firewall mounted radiators (utilizing the 6-holes). Now that I know the only way the radiators came from Chevy were in the cradle installation form, I don't know that I trust Brothers claim. I think I'll call back and verify with someone else.

Thanks again guys.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:53 PM   #8
MikeN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC63 View Post
Thanks for the help guys...I'm not going to hold my breath on finding a top bracket...I'd probably be better off fabbing one out.
I was afraid of not finding one either, but actually found two of them at a Super Chevy swap meet, and bought both for $20. I used one, gave the other to my brother-in-law for his 65 C10. I occasionally see them at swap meets. If you have fabrications skills though, it doesn't look like a difficult part to fab.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:04 AM   #9
TimC63

One last question...

Is the top center of the radiator support factory bent/angled down towards the engine or is mine just tweaked?

Name:  CIMG0207.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  54.4 KB
Name:  CIMG0217.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  47.2 KB
Name:  CIMG0210.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  41.4 KB
Old 06-18-2008, 06:09 AM   #10
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Yours is tweaked. It should be square.
TimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:41 PM   #11
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimE View Post
Yours is tweaked. It should be square.
Yep... should be square.

Truck Pictures: http://community.webshots.com/user/billydonn
Truck Video: http://good-times.webshots.com/video...ost=good-times
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:57 PM   #12
rickf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
I was afraid of not finding one either, but actually found two of them at a Super Chevy swap meet, and bought both for $20. I used one, gave the other to my brother-in-law for his 65 C10. I occasionally see them at swap meets. If you have fabrications skills though, it doesn't look like a difficult part to fab.

The brackets are pretty easy to find, they are laying all over the gound at any junk yard that has these old trucks. Lots of people go in and they want the radiator, or maybe the radiator support. But those brackets are pretty robust, the one they already have at home is probably fine, so they drop it on the ground and take the other stuff.
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:45 PM   #13
MikeN

Tim, here's a couple of photos of the Modine V8 radiator installed in my 64 C10 with stock upper mount.

Please ignore the crappy fan, I used a junker for mocking up with the fan clutch for purposes of fabbing a shroud. The stock shroud won't accept an 18" fan.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:07 AM   #14
billysbowties

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC63 View Post
One last question...

Is the top center of the radiator support factory bent/angled down towards the engine or is mine just tweaked?

Attachment 368802
Attachment 368803
Attachment 368804
This usually happens when someone drops in a new motor and they try to drop it in a little early, just take your time after you find the replacement
billysbowties is offline   Reply With Quote