The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
mrmojo32

Warn hub install question

I have a question about installing manual locking premium hubs from Warn on my 89 GMC Jimmy that has automatic locking hubs.

The original hubs came off no problem and mine were the 5 bolt type so I did not the conversion kit, in fact, I got the conversion kit and it was identical to the original equipment.

The hubs slide in easily but they do not seat far enough back to pop in the first large ring that holds them in place. I removed them and tightened the 2 nuts and the washer with the holes in it and it still does not go back far enough. After you tighten the last nut there is a washer and a snap ring that go on. Those 2 things seem to be the distance needed to make it seat.

I am not sure what is wrong or if I am just overlooking something, but any help would be great.

Thanks in advance!
mrmojo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:57 AM   #2
Burt4x4

Re: Warn hub install question

THis happend to me then I magicly figured it out.
Reach around to the exposed ujoint on your axel and push the axel out toward you or toward the hub. The axel is pushed in, you need to push it out, not get the hub to go in further...I know I know..you will never forget this one
silly simple yet .....Happy Friday
Burt

Last edited by Burt4x4; 06-20-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Burt4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:00 PM   #3
mrmojo32

Ahhh.. I see what you are meaning Burt. After the hub is on and you want to put the small keeper on the shaft you can press the u-joint from the other side. That's great, but not my problem. Good tip though!

I called Warn and they said to remove the small keeper and washer from the original equipment and it fit fine.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
I removed them and tightened the 2 nuts and the washer with the holes in it and it still does not go back far enough.
That is your wheel bearing adjustment. How much did you tighten them? Also be sure that you have the "washer w/holes" installed properly. It has to fit over the pin that is on the inner nut, then the outer nut holds it in place. I have seen many of these ruined by improper installation.

Warn told you right, but did they tell you to put that snap-ring back on the axle after you put the inner part of the hub in? Most of the trucks with automatic hubs had another snap-ring groove at the outer end of the axle too, just like manual hubbed trucks did. It was not used with the autos but it is still there. Some say that it is not there on all trucks, but I have never seen one w/o it. That snap-ring is really not there to keep the hub in...it keeps the axle itself pulled up against the back of the spindle. This keeps the seal tight against the spindle and keeps the pivot point of the axle-joint in-line with the ball-joints. The outer (wire) ring is what keeps the locking hub in place.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
mrmojo32

Ok.. I did not over tighten them. I had to back up the back nut slightly to make sure the small pin on it lined up with the "washer thing" with the holes in it. The hub slid in fine and the large snap ring went in perfect.

Yes you are right the very end of the shaft has a groove and the kit had new snap rings to put in there.

I do have a question though.

My rear end on this truck is posi and if you raise the truck both tires turn the same direction. Also if you peel out it leaves matching marks. On the front end the drivers side turns when the hubs are locked but the passenger seems not to. I know the locking hub is working fine because I can see the U joint moving. I wonder if thats how it came from the factory?
Old 06-21-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
On the front end the drivers side turns when the hubs are locked but the passenger seems not to. I know the locking hub is working fine because I can see the U joint moving. I wonder if thats how it came from the factory?
You will have to explain that a bit more.
Turns in relation to what? When the hub is "locked" it should turn with the tire. It should not turn "free". When the hub is "un-locked" it is just the opposite. You should be able to turn the axle with the tire on the ground (not moving).
If your transfercase is in in 2 wheel drive, you should be able to turn your front driveshaft by hand, if the hubs are un-locked. If you then lock the hubs, that driveshaft should not turn. If it does, you have problems. Either one of the hubs is not locking, which you could see because the axle still turns on that side, or something is wrong inside the differential itself.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:43 PM   #7
mrmojo32

I will check it that way and see what happens.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:17 AM   #8
mrmojo32

You are right Longhair. It all works as you said. Thank you for your help!