The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2008, 10:36 PM   #1
Gray Ghost

TPI list....

I am about to embark on a swap I thought I would never do....replace my 1405 with TPI from a late model Camaro motor. I like the later model runners
[4 instead of 8] and since my engine is already modified from stock, I will need the MAF sensor version. I am hoping that someone who has done this swap on their 67-72 motor has a comprehensive list of what I will need. I have 2 expert mechanics that will be doing the swap for me, but they are both very busy and I want to get started shoppping for the swap soon.

Thanks guys!
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
c10addict

Re: TPI list....

from my experience..... Stay AWAY from painless wiring!!!! Call street and performance.... These guys are good and know their sh*t! The harness is VERY easy to install and well marked... Outside of the wiring harness finding the right fuel pump is key... I used an external pump and the stock tank.. I used a paxton fuel pump I bought from Summit... Good Luck! Its not real hard at all... My motor is a 86 vette motor and I converted it to speed density and eliminated the MAF sensor...
Attached Images

54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I can't really help with the parts as I'm installing a complete motor/trans setup.

A guy I talked to said to use a 1980 Datsun 280zx (Nissan) external Fuel pump, Available at Advance Auto Parts, p/n E8312.. $108. (online price)

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 06-24-2008 at 12:49 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
Ackattack

I swapped in a 87 TPI into my 72 GMC. I used a painless kit for the wiring, and it wasn't difficult at all. I believe the runners that are together (I think called siamesed) are aftermarket pieces.

I also used an external pump with the stock fuel tank. I don't remember what brand it was though. No problems other than turning corners when below 1/4 tank....so just make sure it's full.

I also added an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

Then I had to have a O2 sensor bung welded into the headers. No biggie though.

Good luck!
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
hvychve
To The Levy

Good choice, my opinion and experience would be to stay with the M.A.F sensor, its more responsive than the M.A.P sensor (speed density sensor system) , you will not be disappointed with the mass air flow system, and your computer will need to match that sensor type system, your harness, o2 sensors, depending if you you are using the cold start injector, not sure, but I think either way can be bypassed. Thats cool of the fuel pump mentioned above , to continue to use factory tank and just install a remote pump, I would wonder if it would not over heat though, due to fact its got to supply higher pressures and not be submerged into fuel to keep cool? anyway, should be a straight up job , use felpro or a good quality gasket . good luck
hvychve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
c10addict

Just to clear things up.. The painless harness was easy to hook up but painless had swapped wires while it was being built causing a running condition and their tech department just bl*ws!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
I swapped in a 87 TPI into my 72 GMC. I used a painless kit for the wiring, and it wasn't difficult at all. I believe the runners that are together (I think called siamesed) are aftermarket pieces.

I also used an external pump with the stock fuel tank. I don't remember what brand it was though. No problems other than turning corners when below 1/4 tank....so just make sure it's full.

I also added an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

Then I had to have a O2 sensor bung welded into the headers. No biggie though.

Good luck!
54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
CochinoFilipino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
,,,I also used an external pump with the stock fuel tank. I don't remember what brand it was though. No problems other than turning corners when below 1/4 tank....so just make sure it's full.
Does your truck take a minute to recover from sucking air? I notice that when mine does, the light comes on and I cannot accelerate until it recovers (light goes off).

Gray Ghost, There's alot of TPI info on the web. I have ChevyThunder bookmarked. Here's a pretty good list of parts

Last edited by CochinoFilipino; 06-24-2008 at 02:39 PM.
CochinoFilipino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #8
neonlarry

Another option on the fuel pump if you are going with the stock tank and don't want the noise of an electric pump under the cab is a mechanical pump from:
http://www.racepumps.com/index.html
VSS can be had from 'jags that run':
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/

Last edited by neonlarry; 06-24-2008 at 03:02 PM.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:13 PM   #9
Gray Ghost

I definitely want the in tank fuel pump and saddle tank. I now have the in cab tank and it needs to go away. The electric buzz won't bug me, Jana's truck sings a bit now and then so I am used to the sound.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:19 PM   #10
Gray Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvychve View Post
Good choice, my opinion and experience would be to stay with the M.A.F sensor, its more responsive than the M.A.P sensor (speed density sensor system) , you will not be disappointed with the mass air flow system, and your computer will need to match that sensor type system, your harness, o2 sensors, depending if you you are using the cold start injector, not sure, but I think either way can be bypassed. Thats cool of the fuel pump mentioned above , to continue to use factory tank and just install a remote pump, I would wonder if it would not over heat though, due to fact its got to supply higher pressures and not be submerged into fuel to keep cool? anyway, should be a straight up job , use felpro or a good quality gasket . good luck

I think we're retaining the cold start injector...Jerrod [my mechanic] said it's a good thing. I am hoping to either get the whole donor car or the whole package from someone who has one. I do want the submerged pump though...gotta get away from the in cab tank. I'll be installing a saddle tank with the pump in it.

Thanks for the luck, I will certainly need it!

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 06-24-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:01 PM   #11
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochinoFilipino View Post
Does your truck take a minute to recover from sucking air? I notice that when mine does, the light comes on and I cannot accelerate until it recovers (light goes off).

Gray Ghost, There's alot of TPI info on the web. I have ChevyThunder bookmarked. Here's a pretty good list of parts
No, it would cut out just a little going around a corner, and as soon as you got going straight again, it was fine.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:39 PM   #12
71swb4x4

I bought a whole 86 Camaro and having the whole car made the swap pretty easy.
I bought a fuel cell with in-tank pump from boardmember fuelcellguy.
I bought a V.S.S. from jagsthatrun.com.
I bought a Helms manual (very valuable book!!!) and also used info from Chevythunder.com to modify the stock harness to work on my truck.
I bought my air cleaner ducting from jagsthatrun.com.
I had an O2 sensor installed into my existing exhaust by a local muffler shop.

I am sure I am missing a few things but those are the things that were on the top of my mind.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:16 PM   #13
Gray Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochinoFilipino View Post
Thanks for the links...I will defintely give both a solid look. Course most of the tech stuff will slide by me [I'm 51] but Jerrod will understand & able to translate...