The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
kdrodworks316
KOFFIN DRAGGER

ball joint help??

Ok i am a dumb a$$. I just bought drop spindles from soba_03 and I am in the middle of lowering the burban and I realize they are 60-62 not 63-70. Not sobas fault, i am sure he told me before I bought them, just a brain fart. The upper and lower ball joints are to small. the uppers are bolt in, so I think I can find a bigger one that fits, but the lower is a press in. Anyone know what joints I need to use to make these spindles work? I am guessing a 3/4 ton upper and lower may do the job? I am going to head for the parts house and see if they can help, I will keep everyone updated
kdrodworks316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Re: ball joint help??

At first glance it sounds like you need the later 73-87 parts, which are bigger. However, the stock 60-62 lower ball joint is expensive and a very different animal... see picture. The 62 upper looks like the later 73 up parts. If it were me, I would find out where soba bought the spindles and call the supplier for the right parts.
Attached Images

Truck Pictures: http://community.webshots.com/user/billydonn
Truck Video: http://good-times.webshots.com/video...ost=good-times
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:13 PM   #3
kdrodworks316
KOFFIN DRAGGER

I found an upper ball joint that will work. MOOG #680 and they are $127 each. No luck on a lower yet. I tried 3/4 ton stuff and even 4x4 stuff with no luck. My only options are to make it work or ebay the spindles and buy different spindles. I am not going to use 60-62 lower arms because the ball joints are way 2 expensive. any ideas?
Old 06-24-2008, 09:58 PM   #4
kdrodworks316
KOFFIN DRAGGER

When in doubt, go directly to the manufacturer. I just emailed MOOG suspension, I will keep yaall updated
Old 06-24-2008, 10:09 PM   #5
kdrodworks316
KOFFIN DRAGGER

Here is a source for really cheap steering parts: http://stores.ebay.com/WSD4LESS
All the #s cross with MOOG
for example 60-62 lower ball joint on LMC $189.99
Same ball joint from this dude:
$30.99
Thats a big differance, even if you changed them every year it would be a big savings
Old 06-24-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Good find! Let us know what the quality is like and how they work out for you.
TimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #7
soba_03

YOU'RE KILLING ME.... What can I do to help you? Do you know what size you need for the Lower?
soba_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:36 PM   #8
kdrodworks316
KOFFIN DRAGGER

Its not your fault soba, I didnt pay attention to detail. I am waiting for MOOG to get back with me, I need a lower ball joint that is a press in with the shaft size of the 60-62 joint. Any ideas?
Old 06-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #9
soba_03

What is the Ball joint shaft diameter? I didn't measure mine just bolted together? Give me and idea and I'll start looking as well.. Did you say a guy on ebay has the lowers for about 40 bucks? that is crazy good deal....
Old 06-26-2008, 10:10 PM   #10
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Quote:
Originally Posted by soba_03 View Post
YOU'RE KILLING ME.... What can I do to help you? Do you know what size you need for the Lower?
soba:
nobody really blaming you at all. i was thinking you (or someone) could just call the vendor you got the spindles from and ask them for recommended parts that go with them.

Truck Pictures: http://community.webshots.com/user/billydonn
Truck Video: http://good-times.webshots.com/video...ost=good-times
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:45 PM   #11
soba_03

Billy, I believe that the problem he is having is the lower Balljoint is Press in and the spindles are different year that truck/control arm he is using. He has already called Moog and awaiting their call back. I Know that he wasn't blaming me. We have already had communication on the issue. It's the Irony of the whole thing...

I bought my truck from the same town he lives in only to turn around and sell parts for a truck like mine back to the town that I bought mine from.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:12 PM   #12
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

The 60-62 trucks are the ones with the torsion bar front suspension aren't they? Are you sure that the geometry is going to be right, even if you can get them bolted on? Are the ball-joint mounting locations the same in relation to the spindle shaft? Does everything else fit correctly? Tie-rod mounting points?
I don't know....I have never had a 60-62 apart, I sure would look into it though. If it was that simple, the spindle people would just drill the tapers out to make them fit. If that is indeed the case, couldn't you do the same? I doubt if there are tapered reamers on every street corner, but someone should be able to do that for you? I would think that it is more economically feasible to modify the spindle, rather than "adapt" the truck to them. Even if it costs a bit more up-front, later service will be better/cheaper/easier. Spindles are not really a "wear-out" item, ball-joints and tie-rods are....
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:09 PM   #13
kdrodworks316
KOFFIN DRAGGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
The 60-62 trucks are the ones with the torsion bar front suspension aren't they? Are you sure that the geometry is going to be right, even if you can get them bolted on? Are the ball-joint mounting locations the same in relation to the spindle shaft? Does everything else fit correctly? Tie-rod mounting points?
I don't know....I have never had a 60-62 apart, I sure would look into it though. If it was that simple, the spindle people would just drill the tapers out to make them fit. If that is indeed the case, couldn't you do the same? I doubt if there are tapered reamers on every street corner, but someone should be able to do that for you? I would think that it is more economically feasible to modify the spindle, rather than "adapt" the truck to them. Even if it costs a bit more up-front, later service will be better/cheaper/easier. Spindles are not really a "wear-out" item, ball-joints and tie-rods are....
If it was as simple as reaming the tapers, I can do that. The problem is the bores in the spindles is already to big. As far as geometry, after a few measurements, I think they would be ok. the tierod looks good and fits the bore. I also found uppers that would do a conversion, no luck on lowers though. Moog has not returned my email, so I think they are for sale again. I am going to post them on the parts board and buy the right ones. Again, Not Soba fault, He did tell me what they fit and for some reason I didnt make the connection that they wouldnt fit. Thats my mistake and in no way blame Soba at all. He is a great guy that bent over backwards to help me out and help solve problems.