The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

Power brake question

I am looking to add power brakes to my 71 and just wanted to know which brake booster to ude the 7", 9" or 11". Just really don't understand the differences.
ksjh1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
myoldchevytruck
Retired Air Force Veteran

Re: Power brake question

Doesn't your 71' have front disk brakes? If so, you don't have power brakes? That's odd.
Swap 6 Lug to 5 Lug (w/ Disk Brakes in Front)
3/6 Drop

Help Support The Board
Click Here For Information On How To Subscribe

Krue's FAQ Page

Vendors
myoldchevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:24 PM   #3
heavy71chevy

my 71 has disk fronts but non power aswell...but it did come with PS
heavy71chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
myoldchevytruck
Retired Air Force Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy71chevy View Post
my 71 has disk fronts but non power aswell...but it did come with PS
heavy71chevy - Interesting. I did not know that P/B were an option on the 71', thought it was standard due to the disk brakes.

Jeff - Don't know much about the brake booster but hear allot of people talking about a 7" dual diaphram brake booster. I'll too will be looking into this myself. Maybe someone will chime in on this.
Swap 6 Lug to 5 Lug (w/ Disk Brakes in Front)
3/6 Drop

Help Support The Board
Click Here For Information On How To Subscribe

Krue's FAQ Page

Vendors
myoldchevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:22 PM   #5
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

Thanks for the help so far mine has discs but no power brakes. It is weird that it is a 292 with ps heavy duty suspension and 4:10 posi
ksjh1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:24 AM   #6
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Question Re: Power brake question

Me to would like to know I want to add power to my 72 front disc rear drum!
petey-pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:21 AM   #7
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

I tried to start a thread on this too, as the thread in FAQ is very vague. In my research the duel diaphragm offers greater stopping power over a single.
The 3/4 ton trucks used duels, but I’m only able to find a 10 3/4 dia.
I would like to know where to get the smallest possible unit.
Like you, I have non power brakes with front disc brakes. What I’m finding is the rod is mounted lower on the brake peddle for power brakes. I would like to hear from people who have done this with & without lowering the rod.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
Sinisterspeed

Booster & Master Cylinder Specifcations
Use this data to design your own system or to upgrade an existing power brake system.

7" STREET ROD POWER BOOSTER (PB7001)

The 7" street rod booster requires 18" of vacuum to operate properly. With this vacuum level the booster will produce a maximum pressure output of 950 psi with a 1" bore master cylinder. This pressure level will work great for four wheel drum systems and disc/drum vehicles which are relatively light. This booster is not recommended for heavy disc brake cars like 55 Chevy's or for any four wheel disc brake system. This is the booster supplied with our under floor pedal kits.

7" DUAL DIAPHRAGM POWER BOOSTER (PB7537)

The 7" dual diaphragm street rod booster requires 18" of vacuum to operate properly. With this vacuum level the booster will produce a maximum pressure output of about 1200 psi with a 1" bore master cylinder. This pressure level will work great for four wheel disc systems and disc/drum vehicles which are heavier.

8" STREET ROD BOOSTER (PB8531)

The 8" street rod booster requires 18" of vacuum to operate properly. With this vacuum level the booster will produce a maximum pressure output of 1200 psi with a 1" bore master cylinder. This pressure level will work great for four wheel disc systems and disc/drum vehicles which are heavier. This booster is recommended for heavy disc brake cars like 55 Chevy's or for any four wheel disc brake system.
9" SLIMLINE (PB9002)

The 9" slimline booster requires 18" of vacuum to operate properly. With this vacuum level the booster will produce a maximum pressure output of 1100 psi with a 1" bore master cylinder. This pressure level will work great for disc/drum vehicles. This booster is recommended for heavy disc brake cars like 55 Chevy's or for street rods.
9" DUAL DIAPHRAGM BOOSTERS

The 9" dual diaphragm ultra booster requires 18" of vacuum to operate properly. With this vacuum level the booster will produce a maximum pressure output of 1400 psi with a 1" bore master cylinder. This pressure level will work great for four wheel disc systems on heavier cars and trucks.
MC2912H
This 1-1/8" bore master cylinder works with any of the boosters above and is recommended for disc/disc systems. The master Cylinder comes with a piston adapter. Master Cylinders work for manual or power applications (see Check Booster Pushrod Adjustment Below). Outlets: A=9/16 B=1/2

MC1321H
This 1" bore master cylinder works with any of the boosters above and is recommended for disc/drum or disc/disc systems. Outlets on both sides. Master Cylinders work for manual or power applications (see Check Booster Pushrod Adjustment Below).
Outlets: A=9/16 B=1/2.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are basically two different master cylinders that we use for our Chevy and Ford kits, the deep bore master cylinder and the shallow bore master ylinder. To determine which master cylinder your booster is setup to mate with, you can do the following simple check. For shallow bore master cylinders, the pushrod should be approximately flush with or below the booster face. Deep bore master cylinders will protrude past the face of the booster body by about 1” to 1-1/2”. Note that deep bore master cylinders are required for manual brakes and shallow bore master cylinders are generally used for power brake systems. We now supply a master cylinder piston adapter (pictured) to accommodate both master cylinders. You will only use this adapter when you have a deep bore master cylinder with a short booster pushrod.

70 GMC Longhorn (A.K.A Money Bucket)
57 Chev 3100
05 Chevy LLY Dmax.
67 Chevy Camaro

Dad's Budget Build 55

My Longhorn Build
Sinisterspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:52 AM   #9
Sinisterspeed

copied this from the FAQ/Tech area of MBM where I got mine from. Hope it helps

70 GMC Longhorn (A.K.A Money Bucket)
57 Chev 3100
05 Chevy LLY Dmax.
67 Chevy Camaro

Dad's Budget Build 55

My Longhorn Build
Sinisterspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:11 AM   #10
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Question Re: Power brake question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinisterspeed View Post
copied this from the FAQ/Tech area of MBM where I got mine from. Hope it helps
MBM? What is that do you have a link to the website? Thanks
Front 2.5inch Spindles with 2inch Springs Rear 4inch drop Springs.
454BBC TH400,Posi

1971 Cheyenne 10 Long Fleet Side
454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Drive it like you stole it!
Petey-pablo@sbcglobal.net
Old 06-26-2008, 06:52 AM   #11
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey-pablo View Post
MBM? What is that do you have a link to the website? Thanks
Probably this one. http://www.mbmbrakeboosters.com/Parts.html
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:40 AM   #12
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Wink Re: Power brake question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport/Truck View Post
Thanks Sport/Truck!
Front 2.5inch Spindles with 2inch Springs Rear 4inch drop Springs.
454BBC TH400,Posi

1971 Cheyenne 10 Long Fleet Side
454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Drive it like you stole it!
Petey-pablo@sbcglobal.net
Old 08-29-2018, 04:56 PM   #13
1BAD65

[QUOTE=Sinisterspeed;2780462]Booster & Master Cylinder Specifcations
Use this data to design your own system or to upgrade an existing power brake system.

7" STREET ROD POWER BOOSTER (PB7001)

The 7" street rod booster requires 18" of vacuum to operate properly. With this vacuum level the booster will produce a maximum pressure output of 950 psi with a 1" bore master cylinder. This pressure level will work great for four wheel drum systems and disc/drum vehicles which are relatively light. This booster is not recommended for heavy disc brake cars like 55 Chevy's or for any four wheel disc brake system. This is the booster supplied with our under floor pedal kits.

7" DUAL DIAPHRAGM POWER BOOSTER (PB7537)

The 7" dual diaphragm street rod booster requires 18" of vacuum to operate properly. With this vacuum level the booster will produce a maximum pressure output of about 1200 psi with a 1" bore master cylinder. This pressure level will work great for four wheel disc systems and disc/drum vehicles which are heavier.

8" STREET ROD BOOSTER (PB8531)

The 8" street rod booster requires 18" of vacuum to operate properly. With this vacuum level the booster will produce a maximum pressure output of 1200 psi with a 1" bore master cylinder. This pressure level will work great for four wheel disc systems and disc/drum vehicles which are heavier. This booster is recommended for heavy disc brake cars like 55 Chevy's or for any four wheel disc brake system.
9" SLIMLINE (PB9002)

The 9" slimline booster requires 18" of vacuum to operate properly. With this vacuum level the booster will produce a maximum pressure output of 1100 psi with a 1" bore master cylinder. This pressure level will work great for disc/drum vehicles. This booster is recommended for heavy disc brake cars like 55 Chevy's or for street rods.
9" DUAL DIAPHRAGM BOOSTERS

The 9" dual diaphragm ultra booster requires 18" of vacuum to operate properly. With this vacuum level the booster will produce a maximum pressure output of 1400 psi with a 1" bore master cylinder. This pressure level will work great for four wheel disc systems on heavier cars and trucks.
MC2912H
This 1-1/8" bore master cylinder works with any of the boosters above and is recommended for disc/disc systems. The master Cylinder comes with a piston adapter. Master Cylinders work for manual or power applications (see Check Booster Pushrod Adjustment Below). Outlets: A=9/16 B=1/2

MC1321H
This 1" bore master cylinder works with any of the boosters above and is recommended for disc/drum or disc/disc systems. Outlets on both sides. Master Cylinders work for manual or power applications (see Check Booster Pushrod Adjustment Below).
Outlets: A=9/16 B=1/2.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS IS WHY I LOVE THIS FORUM !!
TONS OF INFORMATION AVAILABLE AT YOUR FINGERTIPS

GETTING THE BCK1006-8531 MODEL - BOOSTER, MC , AND EXTENSION ROD $99!

THANKS!
1BAD65 is offline   Reply With Quote