The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2008, 04:16 PM   #1
blk81shrt

Laying frame and towing boats!

Hey guys,

I have been doing a lot thinking about a possible project to take on.

Heres what I am thinking- i sometimes see lowered duallies laying frame with bags, that also have the capability to tow a car trailer or 5th wheel.

I was thinking I would build a 67-72 that could lay frame and tow my boat! I have read that c-notches arent good with towing- is there some kinda setup I could use to do this? Maybe a custom frame? But I would want it to be a safe as possible. My boats not all that heavy probably like 2500-3000 lbs.
blk81shrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
BACKYARD88
On the fast track to nowhere..

Re: Laying frame and towing boats!

I think it's doable. To be the safest you could look in to formed rear frame rails. They're actually "bent"(for lack of a better term) over the rear axle instead of your standard cut and welded notches.

Norwood, Houston, Cecilia, Jackson, Monroe and counting
BACKYARD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk81shrt View Post
Hey guys,

I have been doing a lot thinking about a possible project to take on.

Heres what I am thinking- i sometimes see lowered duallies laying frame with bags, that also have the capability to tow a car trailer or 5th wheel.

I was thinking I would build a 67-72 that could lay frame and tow my boat! I have read that c-notches arent good with towing- is there some kinda setup I could use to do this? Maybe a custom frame? But I would want it to be a safe as possible. My boats not all that heavy probably like 2500-3000 lbs.
Towing w/properly installed 'c-notches' is ok.
Towing w/properly installed 'step-notches' is ok.

Towing w/bolt-in step-notches is not ok.
Towing w/a 'generic' cantilever system (KP 6-link) is not ok.

I've towed an 18ft car hauler w/the both of my trucks. Both utilize 'bolt-in' style c-notches that have been bolted + welded to the frame for increased strength.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:57 PM   #4
BACKYARD88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Towing w/properly installed 'c-notches' is ok.
Towing w/properly installed 'step-notches' is ok.

Towing w/bolt-in step-notches is not ok.
Towing w/a 'generic' cantilever system (KP 6-link) is not ok.

I've towed an 18ft car hauler w/the both of my trucks. Both utilize 'bolt-in' style c-notches that have been bolted + welded to the frame for increased strength.
That's the best explination you'll get right there

Old 06-26-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
blk81shrt

How about bag placement? you mentioned that a generic cantelever setup wouldnt be a good idea. I would guess that putting the bags over the diff would be the best way?

Last edited by blk81shrt; 06-26-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
c10addict

My buddy tows this 48 ft enclosed all the time with his bagged dually that lays frame.. NO issues at all with the bags...
Attached Images

54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
blk81shrt

^^^^That is sick! You wouldnt even have to jack the trailer up that much to un hook!
Old 06-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #8
c10addict

Quote:
^^^^That is sick! You wouldnt even have to jack the trailer up that much to un hook!

You dont have to jack it up at all... blow air in the bags, set the feet on the trailer down and dump the truck and drive away... He also has cameras mounted near the 5th wheel and the rear drop hitch so you dont have to even get out to back it under the trailer...
54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile

Last edited by c10addict; 06-26-2008 at 01:46 PM.
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:17 PM   #9
BACKYARD88

The more leverage on the bags the less weight you can put on them. Bag over the axle would give you more carrying capacity, but it will also net a stiffer ride when un-loaded.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:56 PM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
How about bag placement? you mentioned that a generic cantelever setup wouldnt be a good idea. I would guess that putting the bags over the diff would be the best way?
When I discussed the cantilever set-up w/Clint @ KP Components, he felt the 'dog-bones' that connect the 4-link/axle to the rear bag links would be the 'weak link' & not like the stress of a heavy load. Bag placement would not be ideal either.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:52 AM   #11
RunninLo
3DrDwn--the 'burb not the band

My old shop dually has an old school 2 link with the bags for everyday driving mounted on the bars. Everything is over built with gussets everywhere and fairly large tubing. Ride is pretty smooth and has great lift for the MT roads. For towing I have a fairly large set of double convoluted bags that are mounted on top of the axle in an even stouter bridge. They're on a separate air circuit and are normally vented so they'll allow the everyday bags to travel normally. When I hook up the trailer I just close the ball valve vent and hit the switch to air them up.

Why 2 sets of rear bags? Well, with standard 224C's in the rear @ the axle the truck lifted higher in the front than the rear at fulll lift. I didn't like the draggin tail look. So I switched to the canti mount and my lift AND ride were great but due to mechanical leverage of the cantilever the towing capacity dropped drastically. With the big Contitec bags over the axle I got all my capacity and then some back. Yeah added expense of 2 more bags, 2 more valves,plus the ball valve but now I get to have my cake and eat it too.

I guess after all that the 1 thing I can say for sure if you want to be low and tow ..... over engineer and over build strength into everything.

Shop truck is the orange one and has towed every other vehicle in the pic sometimes two at a time. Purple truck is no lightweight either with several thousand pounds of audio gear and a diamond tilt bed to add to the GVW.

Josh
PS While I wish ALL of these were mine they in fact belong to one of my best customers/ supporters

'89 GMC Dually crew build page coming soon.
88 4x4 crew DD

duallys past/present pics here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...46#post4001246

89 1 ton Dually rear flip kit install here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=354327
RunninLo is offline   Reply With Quote