The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2002, 11:03 PM   #1
all4gss

Best base for a project?

In the end i want a reliable <and nice> truck that can haul a trailer. Here are my options. I already have an 84 c/10 short stepside i was planning to replace the straight six with a 350. Today i found a 76 short fleetside. no motor or tranny.. both need some work to get where i want them so i'm askin opinions on the best base to start from... the only difference i can see so far as far as replacement part availablilty, interior etc is the different grill/hood/fender.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

1984 C/10 2wd SWB.
all4gss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 11:25 PM   #2
racedvl
Account Suspended

IMO, I would tend to want to pull a trailer with a long bed. I think it would be more stable that way. But I guess it would also depend on the size of the trailer also.
racedvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 12:23 AM   #3
all4gss

i understand what you're saying. But it's not as though i'll be hauling around my ex-gf. any hauling would be limited to misc. small things relative to her... grand pianos, abram tanks, moble homes etc.

all kidding asside.... the main purpose is to have a reliable daily driver with the capacity to pull a uhaul and to have the utility of a truck.

I assume that the choice would be based on which front end the driver likes best, as they seem to be almost exact in all other respects... am i on the right track? thanks.

Keith

1984 C/10 2wd SWB.
all4gss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 12:42 AM   #4
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

Well, this is a pretty personal decision, but I wouldn't let the short bed deter you from the occasional need to tow a uhaul trailer.

I would base the decision more on what you want to drive every day than on what you would use to tow every once in a while. I really like the shorter wheelbase trucks since they actually fit in the dinky parking spots we see so much now days plus you can turn just that much shorter to make it more convenient to drive all the time.

One other benefit of the newer style trucks if you want to keep it fairly original to its year is that you are more likely to find decent interior and body parts for the later models. Also, a whole lot more 81-87's had power windows and locks than the 76-80's making them easier to find too if you're so inclined.

Joe
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 06:42 AM   #5
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

for towing i would go with a longbed hands down.as far as the shortbed parking issue to me thats not much of an issue since ive owned both a shortbed and 4 longbeds i can park both of them easily.i personally prefer longbed trucks myself.when i had my shortbed i noticed for some reason it didnt like u turning or tight turning.all of my longbeds seem to do fine in that regard.for heavy hauling i would also go with the longbed.other than that go with what you like.

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

(Uncle Mike)Michael Henry Millett 11/5/1957 to 03/08/2012
Gone but will never be forgotten-RIP

(Uncle Chuck)Charles Manning Gulbronsen Sr 1956-2012
Taken from us to soon but you will live on in our hearts-RIP
1974ChevyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote