The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2008, 03:12 AM   #1
BIGB33

Difference between a 67 & 68

hey guys this might sound like a stupid question but what is the difference between a 67 & a 68 chevy C10 short bed fleet side. they look the same like identical but there probably something there that I don't see. Im planning on building me one after my other truck project im workin on right now. so im trying to get as much info as possible.

thanks brian
BIGB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:53 AM   #2
original_balzer

Re: Difference between a 67 & 68

67's did not have side marker lights, some if not most, 67's had a small back window.
original_balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:06 AM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
There is a pretty good thread on the FAQ forum. Scroll down to the bottom of this page and you will see the "Forum Jump" box. Click on the little down arrow on the right side of the box and scroll down to "FAQ Truck Tech". On that page go down to "Sticky: FAQ Index thread". When you get into that scroll down to the "General Info" section then select "Year Model Differences by Johnnyp".

You may already know about the FAQ Forum and I could have just posted a direct link, but there is a lot of good info in the FAQ section and now the people that read this thread will know how to get to it.

By the way... Welcome to the board from the Corn State.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 06-28-2008 at 04:09 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
BIGB33

ok I'll check that out. thanks so much you guys. Just needed help figuring out the differences between them cause I plan on building me one soon by myself and I'm just a 17 year old kid. So I plan to see what things I can do with my ideas I have right now.

thanks again

brian.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

Good to see another 17 year old here building a truck. Welcome to the board man and good luck finding a truck. A 67 is the way to go if you ask me.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
*Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #6
BIGB33

Talking Re: Difference between a 67 & 68

yah thanks alot guys. I'll be on here alot trying to ask questions and stuff about the 67 chevy C10 shortbed fleetside pick ups. Im just gathering up some money and the goal for me is to find one here in cali that I can atleast rebuild but the body and motor is still in good shape so I dont have to fork over 20 thousand dollars on this project. my goal is to try keepin it under 10 grand but the style I want it Its probably going to be over that. hahahaha

thanks again you guys.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #7
HoupPhotography

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967 C10 Dylan View Post
Good to see another 17 year old here building a truck. Welcome to the board man and good luck finding a truck. A 67 is the way to go if you ask me.
X's 1000

Welcome to the board from AZ BIGB, it's always great to see more young guns!!
Old 06-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #8
kwmech

Another difference that can put a small kink into the project is the frame. The 67s were not indented/formed for a power steering box. They still had the hold over from the previous years for power assist. A minor obstacle but very doable
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:12 PM   #9
BIGB33

allrite I'll have to keep that in mind when I get it and start working on it.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

a 67 frame is not 'big block ready' either.
In all reality, i would recomend getting a 71 or 72, it would have the disk brakes and 5 lug wheels, A stronger frame, more likley than now, it would have the power steering and brakes that you would want to upgrade to if they weren't there, they are more common, more likely to have a better gear ratio in back (freeway gears) more likely to have an auto tranny, and you can always slap the 68 nose on it and have the better looking front end.
If you look over that list of things I just mentioned, and figure the cost of adding all that (or the ones that you 'need' anyways) the cost of all that would be way higher than $300 -$400 for a nice 68 front clip.
You can do things on a budget, and if it not your only vehicle, then it is even easier to do it on a budget. You just have to look at all options, and all routes of action, before doing ANYTHING.
If you are going to do the work yourself, it is feasable to do it for under 10k... assuming you start with a good body, and in your neck of the woods, that should be fairly easy.
Engines are cheap. A good running small block can be found for 300 to 700 bucks. Junk yard motors that run good but are questionable are even less. Crate motors from GM start in the $1300 area, and the chain store parts stores can probably set you up with a long block 350 in the $800 - $1000 neighborhood. Even the more costly GM crate motor in this list, wouldn't buy you jack in the paint and body department. Trannys are the same, but even cheaper. Find the local cheap guys who race... someone will have a phone number for a retired tranny guy who builds them in his garage for less than 400 bucks. I had my tranny rebuilt for 250, and he said it'll hold up to my caddy big block on the street. And his rep is spotless.
Keep your eyes and ears peeled, don't jump on anything without looking it over REAL good, take someone who knows more than you, and then take some one who thinks it's a waste of money (mom maybe?). The one who knows more will point out flaws you didn't notice, the one who thinks you're throwing money away, will point out the things that the eagerness blocked from your vision.
Your best bet IMO, would be locating a truck of the body style you want (probably a short/fleet) in a 71 or 72 year, with a small block and automatic tranny, with original paint, and don't care if it runs. Original paint will let you know exactly what you are looking at... no bondo, no hidden surprises, everything is right there in front of you.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:07 AM   #11
BIGB33

yah but Im just going to put in a small block 350 chevy motor that I can get from my grandfather wit tranny for free cause he has like 5 motors but they need work but that will say me atleast a couple 100 here and there for a motor so all I have to do is rebuild it and stuff like that. I'll just have to go look for a 67 I want cause they are really hard to find but Ill just go to a junk yard and find one that doesnt have that much body damage and stuff and is in good condition. Its just going to take time. I have like a goal to get a 67 chevy fleetside c10 shortbed by the start of next year. Im crossing my fingers.

thanks again you guys for all the help.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:56 AM   #12
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

Check on CraigsList for some trucks, and also look on Ebay. It seems your neck of the woods has plenty of really decent starter projects with minimal rust.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
*Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #13
BIGB33

yah thats what Ive been checking right now but I gotta build the bank up right now. most of my money is going towards these dang gas prices.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:23 AM   #14
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Quote:
Ill just go to a junk yard and find one that doesnt have that much body damage and stuff and is in good condition. Its just going to take time. I have like a goal to get a 67 chevy fleetside c10 shortbed by the start of next year. Im crossing my fingers.
Good luck...I have been searching for one for about 8 years now. Found lots of LWB trucks but only one original, unmolested '67 SWB...and the guy would not let it go. More often you will find one that someone has already started restoring and they think it is made of gold. Junkyards are pretty well picked over in this region...trucks last about 2 days before they are picked clean. Try the small towns for better luck. Keep us posted and take lots of pics!!!!!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:16 PM   #15
michael bustamante

look on AZ craigs list too. lots of trucks with only surface rust and maybe rotted rockers. easy builders for an everyday truck and not too far to drive over and pick up

Last edited by michael bustamante; 06-30-2008 at 01:16 PM.
michael bustamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:17 PM   #16
BIGB33

yah I'll have to check there too. But I think around where I live I could probably find one I'll just have to have my dads friend be on the look out for one for me cause he owns a junkyard I believe or one of his other friends.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:24 AM   #17
HUEVUDO

Hey I sold one of my trucks. It would have been purrfeccttt for you. 1968 Red. 327. auto on column. power steering power brakes. electric window. short bed fleetside. coated bed. 17 inch rims. sold it for 6 grand. here is what I had.. I still have my yellow 67. click on the link for the truck I sold.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=fb01s2&s=3

Last edited by HUEVUDO; 07-01-2008 at 02:26 AM.
HUEVUDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:30 AM   #18
semperfidoordie
Fix It Till It's Broke

now that's a good lookin rig
Blue Dragon: 72 K-10 SOLD!
The Tank 77 K-10 KIA

panhandler62: Just don't search for "trannys" no matter how hard yours shifts -- you just won't get what you are looking for.

I Made The Official So Cal Board Meet
semperfidoordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:11 AM   #19
prairewolf

67 was the first year of this series(all new body style), 68 was the second. I am hooked on the 67's. I am also hooked on anything 72, that was the last year of this series..........welcome to the board.

life is good,kent
prairewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:47 AM   #20
BIGB33

Nice lookin truck u got there man. Thats the kind of paint job I'd like is yellow but im going with a Chrome Yellow with some red Pin Striping. My dad talked me into in cause he race car he used to race back in the 90s was a chrome yellow with red lettering and pin striping and it looked *****en on the track
Old 07-01-2008, 11:24 AM   #21
BIGB33

Hey you guys I have another question. What Steering Column would I use for the 67 I want cause I want a steering column with the shifter on the column Im not the biggest fan of the floor shifter.

Thanks Brian
Old 07-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #22
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

67 - 72 would be a direct bolt in.
Are you talking automatic?
If so, I would recomend a van tilt, 72 - 81 had them, they look dead stock in the trucks, and only takes light mods to make it work. Plus, they are (fairly) plentiful and cheap.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:54 PM   #23
BIGB33

yah an automatic with the tilt and stuff.

so the van tilt column would be perfect for it?