The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2008, 12:16 AM   #1
randomhero472

Looking for advise and input... Powdercoating vs. painting

I'm getting to the point in my project where i need to make the decision to either strip everything off the truck, take it in and powdercoat/professionaly paint it or clean it up my self and paint it, and here to ask advise. I feel like i'm building a pretty high caliber truck, but its not going to be a Barret Jackson type truck, and i almost feel like i'd be waisting money and time stripping everything off, take the frame to get blasted and coated when nobody will ever see it. If i did decide to go that route, what kind of cost am i looking at?

Another question i have is for the guys who've painted their frames, what did you use.. rattle can, auto paint? (please be specific) I dont really know what would be the best both finish and cost wise, i'd like to keep my cost to a minimun in this dept. and keep unnecesary work out of the equation as well

Also some of my parts have gotten some pretty good surface rust (engine pulley's, rear end, brake drums... ect) what am i looking at cost wise there to have parts like those those coated...

Last, what do you guys use to clean up the frame/rear end/suspension parts... I've got a wire wheel and a 60 grit disc for my grinder that both work well, but didnt know if there was somthing out there that works magic (chemical strippers, anything)

Thanks for the time reading, all input would be appreciated!

Last edited by randomhero472; 06-30-2008 at 12:17 AM.
randomhero472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:42 AM   #2
Michael12

Talking Re: Looking for advise and input... Powdercoating vs. painting

First off... money is always an issue, that is life, and most of us have little of it after the girlfriend/wife or both (LOL jk) kids, gas with the prices only going to rise this summer... so figure out what you can spend and are willing to spend and that may narrow your decision.

Second if you think you are building a beautiful truck then do what you think is best... if you paint or powder coat i believe you should not lack effort or elbow grease to do it right... if you don't and just paint over things it stands out like a sore thumb. You shouldn't do anything on your truck for anyone else except yourself...(that is my opinion).... I powdercoated my truck and I am not worried if I am the only one that is able to see it the rest of the trucks life, its what i want. Plus it is clean and rust free and i can keep it that way now. Now depending on which area's of the country you are will range prices due to available shops that do cool things like blasting and powdercoating... I was in California when i did mine and it was less than 1200... i went with some extreme colors and textures... so it can vary from there... now if you paint there are chemical rust stripers that will help clean up your frame and misc. parts but you may still have to do some blasting or sanding depending on the condition of your truck; then there are base coats with rust preventers, and then you can get high temp. paint for the chassi and rearend and misc. part. Eastwood.com has a free catolog that you can get and has a good brief discription of all this and more.

now depending on what your truck has for pulleys will determine price... but it can range from $18-$80 for a new one. Junk yards are nice to find something used but sometimes better shape than what you have... LMC.com and Brothers.com and Nolimits.net and a few others will have all the stuff you need, and you can also look at our great supporting business' that have great deals and guess what we all rather support them since they support this site...

hope that helps and good luck... keep us updated with lots of pics

-Michael12
Michael12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:11 AM   #3
randomhero472

Re: Looking for advise and input... Powdercoating vs. painting

Thanks mike, i should have been a little clearer and not sound like a dumbass in my first post... I'm doing nothing on the truck half-assed, and dont have the mantality to skimp on things here or there because people wont see it... I'd love to have a shiney powdercoated frame, but i'm not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze so to speak, i'd love having a nice mate finished frame that i've put in time cleaning and painting myself too... i dont know really, is it worth it to pull the engine and cab, be down the time and money and trouble of finding a hoist and stand for the cab... i've got a lot of decisions to make over the next few weeks

Last edited by randomhero472; 06-30-2008 at 01:12 AM.
randomhero472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:10 AM   #4
VA72C10
VA72C10

Not that this is expert advise, but another opinion to consider. My frame was stripped and sprayed black by the previous owner. He did a good job and i am going to leave it. I could take everything off and get it blasted and coated, but that would be a lot of time and additional money that i don't think is worth it. I will be driving my truck and would rather be able to clean up any areas that chip and hit it with some rattle can than be stuck with a chipped powdercoated frame. Some will say that is cheap, but i think it's reasonable if you're going to drive the truck more than a couple of times a month. I'd rather throw the extra cash into more engine goodies and upgraded brakes and wheels than spend a grand or more and an extra few weeks or more on a blasted/coated frame
VA72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:00 AM   #5
cdowns

a properly prepped and painted frame will hold up for many years with minimal maintenence// theres good quality inexpensive industrial enamel available at places like tractor supply co or for that even rustoleum will do a good job and either can either be brush or sprayed on for a decent job and will look good while saving you hundreds of dollars over powdercoating
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:34 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

I,personally,don`t see any use for powdercoating frames.I understand some trucks are built to "have it all" and that`s one more thing for the list.But,there is no perfect coating and the thing with powdercoating is,especially where you can`t get to or barely see it,when water does get behind it it works it`s way under more and can`t come out.The metal pits and the coating stays on like a shell.I`ve seen this on ladder racks where the across the front cross bar the edge got worn down,water laid behind,from the ground it looked fine,the coating was loose all the way across.That metal had serious pocks in it to where the sqaure tube was about rusted through.I wouldn`t want that on my frame.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #7
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Powdercoating is almost always better!

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:56 AM   #8
charlie diaz

the factory didnt powdercoat the frames, and look how long they've lasted. Get a good enamel paint from a tractor supply store like was said before. those are industrial grade paints that are made to take a beating. I'm like you though. It's hard for me to decide between what is the best for my truck,and what is the coolest.
charlie diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #9
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

Powder coating is just about always a more enduring finish but it is probably not really neccesary for most things.
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:44 AM   #10
Dick Dale
Excelsior, You Fathead.

Powdercoat can't be touched up, will discolor in light, is hard to top coat, not as strong as you think, and if applied improperly, it will be easier to get a new frame than to get the remnants off. My DD is 7 years old and still no frame rust. My 72 that was a Mill Truck still has some paint on it. Single Stage enamel is cheap and durable.
Dick Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:03 AM   #11
steelhorse

I am planning on sandblasting my frame(Eastwood soda/sand blaster $250)then painting it with there chassis paint
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote