The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
LaraWilde

Rusty Fuel Tank - Fix Or Replace???

I have been restoring my chev for years... obviously it takes a while.
For the past 3 years it has been at a paint shop waiting for an auto electrician... but it is nearly out.
This week when we flushed the tanks and tried to get her running again... I found that the tank behind the seat is filled with a dirty gunk on the bottom and the filler spout is very rusty.
Is there a way I can clean it up or should I order a new one and wait another 3 months to get her on the road?
I would prefer to get her out as quick as possible if I can.
LaraWilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Re: Rusty Fuel Tank - Fix Or Replace???

first off, Welcome to the forum! nice to have you aboard!

if it was me, I would buy a new tank. BUT from your info, your in Queensland, right? in that case, getting a tank might take a while if there's no restoration part warehouses in Australia. you can try a product called Creme that is usually sold at motorcycle shops. but you have to remove the tank, thoroughly clean it, etch it, then you can coat it. it takes a while and it still may not be perfect.

to get your truck on the road, you may just put 2 filters in line, run it, change the filters, and repeat UNTIL you get a new tank.

good luck!

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by tcb-1; 07-02-2008 at 09:52 PM.
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:51 PM   #3
Sammy

There is a product used to recoat, clean & treat a tank. Someone will know the brand. After my truck sat for 10 years I just emptied the tank, swished new fuel around & it was clean after that. Then after a few days I replaced the filter both in-line & in the carb. But they were decent. Hardest was redoing all the brake lines & wheel cylinders the brake fluid doesn't like to sit that long. Good Luck.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
LaraWilde

Thanx Lads,

I hadn't thought of brake fluid.
I will order one and while I wait I will clean it as best I can and see if I can get it on the road.
I do have an auxilliary tank so I can always use it until the new one arrives.

What else have I forgotten? Fuel, oil, brakes... is it really just a full service?
Old 07-02-2008, 10:07 PM   #5
LaraWilde

A quick thought... Can I replace the fuel tank with one that doesn't sit behind the seat to give me more cab room?
Old 07-02-2008, 10:10 PM   #6
Sammy

Only other thing is tires & watch for dry rotting. Yea brake fluid & condensation love each other. Try rinsing that tank several times & flush the M/C & brake system and keep an eye on leaking wheel cyl or pulling to one side.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

Old 07-02-2008, 10:13 PM   #7
Sammy

Blazer tank under the bed but with a bench seat you don't gain room really unless you need storage space.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:23 PM   #8
LaraWilde

I am putting in buckets to replace the bench... I could use the storage but under the tray is a little sparse on room too. I may have to keep it where it is.
I would like to put some weight under the tray though to improve the ride... I will have to play with it.
Thanx for your input guys.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:23 AM   #9
telly

You may think this is crazy...but it worked great on my motorcycle.

I took my bike's tank off after it sat for over 5 years and its insides were rusted. I plugged the drain and filled the sucker with Coke (the cola variety, not the nose candy). You should have seen the rust start to dissolve on contact. I let it sit for 1 day and occasionally shook the tank. I drained and rinsed with H2O, swished some acetone inside to get rid of the water residue and then reattached the tank. The best and easiest I have ever rid myself of rust. (This is after I tried the whole "motorcycle rust repair products" that ended up clogging my tank when I tried to apply its final coating).

Last edited by telly; 07-03-2008 at 01:24 AM.
telly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:14 AM   #10
LaraWilde

It holds 80L... that is a lot of coke to swish around. But I will give it a go. It is not as if it is any good for drinking without the whiskey in it anyway.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #11
Sammy

Ahh another man who knows what to do with coke-a-cola..goes just great with any blended wiskey or scotch. KUDOS and good luck let us know how you tackle your problem & the results.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #12
telly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraWilde View Post
It holds 80L... that is a lot of coke to swish around. But I will give it a go. It is not as if it is any good for drinking without the whiskey in it anyway.
You could always fill it only about 1/4 and then rotate how it is sitting in order to soak a different part of the tank. I'd rotate it about every 2-3 hours. (It wasn't necessary for me to have it sit for an entire day).

I have in fact used Coke to take surface rust of my rear floor board in my '80 Camaro - just poured it in and let it sit, rinsed, and lightly sanded. Worked like a dream. Hope you have a similar experience.

Good luck.

PS - why the heck would you ruin whiskey by adding coke?

Last edited by telly; 07-03-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:38 AM   #13
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Muriatic acid used to clean bricks and etch concrete works amazingly well and is relatively cheep. I got two gallons from home depot and have only used on gallon and have taken care of 5 or 6 motercycle tanks. Just dump it in and rotate the tank every half hour or so to get all sides. You can use a length of Cain if there is some rust that needs to be broken up. Then rinse with water. Then use asatone or MEK to dry out the water. Then I recommend using a product called Red- Kote to seal the tank from future rust. This process is easy and works great.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:29 PM   #14
LaraWilde

Alrighty lads,
One: what is Cain?
Two: How many litres to a Gallon?
Three: Sammy did you imply that I was a man?
Four: Telly; in Australia we rarely if ever drink straight spirits... I do occasionally but mostly only with liquers.
I will try it out this week... let you know how it goes... the fuel tank and the drinking straight whiskey.
Hell, I will try anything twice.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #15
telly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraWilde View Post
Alrighty lads,
One: what is Cain?
Two: How many litres to a Gallon?
Three: Sammy did you imply that I was a man?
Four: Telly; in Australia we rarely if ever drink straight spirits... I do occasionally but mostly only with liquers.
I will try it out this week... let you know how it goes... the fuel tank and the drinking straight whiskey.
Hell, I will try anything twice.
1) I think it was intended to be "chain". It helps to knock some of the loose rust off the side when you shake/shift the tank. Don't use a very heavy guage or you could dent/damage the tank.
2) 3.785 liters per 1 gallon
4) Rarely drink it straight...just cut it with a little water and ice. Doesn't mask the flavor, just softens the bite.

Keep us posted.

Last edited by telly; 07-03-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #16
leddzepp

If you want to restore your old tank, use POR 15...they make a complete kit with instructions to get it done right the first time.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:11 PM   #17
Brock
upgrading to an older model

Quote:
Originally Posted by telly View Post
You could always fill it only about 1/4 and then rotate how it is sitting in order to soak a different part of the tank. I'd rotate it about every 2-3 hours. (It wasn't necessary for me to have it sit for an entire day).

I have in fact used Coke to take surface rust of my rear floor board in my '80 Camaro - just poured it in and let it sit, rinsed, and lightly sanded. Worked like a dream. Hope you have a similar experience.

Good luck.

PS - why the heck would you ruin whiskey by adding coke?
Off topic a bit but the "Coke" reminded me...my brother worked for a car dealership for MANY years and one of the tricks of the trade was to use 7-up to clean off bug guts. it seems as though the acid levels are perfect.

I'm in the same boat with the rusty/varnish smelling tank so I'm gonna try some of these and save buying a new tank. Thanks

Last edited by Brock; 07-03-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #18
Olden Days
Living In The Past

radiator shop should be able to boil and seal it. I would check that cost against new. Shipping there has to be a killer. I saved a number of old tractor fuel tanks like that.
Olden Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #19
Sammy

It didn't register @ first. Accept my apology plezz. (Good Pic)
Some good things come from down under. Wagga Wagga has good wiskey & plenty of good coke for your tanks..