The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2008, 04:49 AM   #1
BYC Racing

Which Carb.?

I just bought an 86 it has a 305, TH350, 2.73 gears. Needs a cam (Bad Lobe) so I ordered the sum-k1102 262/ 272, Lift .420/ .442. I going to run either a performer or performer air-gap intake. Which carburetor would be the best for fuel economy the Holley 570cfm Street Avenger Carb. or the Edelbrock 1406 600cfm Performer Carb. I would like to get atleast 15mpg. This will be all that is done to the truck. When I get some extra $$ I will add duals with some flowmasters.
BYC Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:21 AM   #2
Albatrossian
Georgia Boy

Re: Which Carb.?

The stock QJet ought to be a great carb for that setup.. they've got great airflow(750-870 cfm) for future mods too..
Albatrossian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
BYC Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatrossian View Post
The stock QJet ought to be a great carb for that setup.. they've got great airflow(750-870 cfm) for future mods too..
How hard is it to rebuild it? The one on the truck runs like crap. The reason I asked about these two carbs is I would like something that looks better than the Qjet to clean up the engine bay.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:16 PM   #4
Albatrossian
Georgia Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYC Racing View Post
How hard is it to rebuild it? The one on the truck runs like crap. The reason I asked about these two carbs is I would like something that looks better than the Qjet to clean up the engine bay.
I wouldn't say it's too difficult to rebuild one.. if you've ever rebuilt any kind of carb. I personally would rather have a QJet than a Holley because they're a better street/strip carb IMHO. And you'd be surprised what a little paint can do.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
f.monroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYC Racing View Post
Sure it isnt the bad lobe ? I would install the cam and then see how the carb acts . Also , let me know how that cam sounds once installed . I would like to know if it is noticeable or sounds stock .
Frank
Old 07-06-2008, 01:32 PM   #6
BYC Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.monroe View Post
Sure it isnt the bad lobe ? I would install the cam and then see how the carb acts . Also , let me know how that cam sounds once installed . I would like to know if it is noticeable or sounds stock .
Frank
Could be it's the orginal carb and looks like crap I sure a new one would be better. I'll let you about the cam when I get it put in it will be a couple weeks.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #7
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Check these guys out for a Qjet
http://www.jetchip.com/JET_Carburetors.asp
http://www.smicarburetor.com/
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
Albatrossian
Georgia Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malo83 View Post
Those SMI guys have really good prices.. has anyone else had dealings with them?
Old 07-06-2008, 07:52 PM   #9
crossy
Oh,you can't buy that new

I wouldn't run either of those carbs for mileage. , but the avenger can be 'tailored' much easier if it's like a typical holley.?

I would spring for some sort of spread bore or have the original redone. Ebay has lots of reman Q-jet carbs on there.
Remember that the metal from that cam went all through the engine already so be careful on initial investment into what may be an already hurt piece. flush the oil plenty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.monroe View Post
Frank
good call frank, yes the cam minus a lobe can really goof things up especially the vacuum signal.

BTW, the cam selection is great for an otherwise stock 305, but even in that you won't really 'hear' it. it's on a 114* lobe separation.
98 Vortec project.
94,3500,6.5L 4L80
81 SWB GMC POS finally gone
73 Pinto, stock, w/CragarSS's-eww
LOTS of Cummins trucks.

Last edited by crossy; 07-06-2008 at 07:53 PM.
crossy is offline   Reply With Quote