The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2008, 08:45 AM   #1
60stepside

New Chevy owner needs a little front disc break info/help!

First just want to say hi everyone! What a great board and I can finally post! Well heres where I need a little help. I traded my old boat for a 1960 Stepside one of the very best trades I have done! ( I will upload picts later) Now I just need some info / help. The whole front end was rebuilt using a 1972 1/2 ton truck but it still has drums. I spoke to the previous owner and he said all I would have to do is get the spindles for disc breaks and then the calipers and rotors, but he wasn't too sure what year I would need to get for the 6 lug rotors ( I love the rims). Brake booster, master and prop valve was also used from the 72. So if anyone could help me it would be extremly appreciated!
60stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: New Chevy owner needs a little front disc break info/help!

three things : read the sticky, right above the first thread title, try CPP (classic performance products)
and check out some of the threads started by kdrodworks316 , I think he just did a 6 lug disc brake...
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
soba_03

Welcome to the board!!!!!!!
Jon has hit it.... the sticky post should help guide you. To answer your question I believe that the spindles and rotors 6 lug if that is waht your looking for are available many places and I'm pretty sure that disc spindles from 68-72 should do what your looking to accomplish.

you can buy new or hit a local yard and pick up a set.

Again welcome...
soba_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:41 PM   #4
joe231

'71 was the first year trucks had discs, but they were 5 lug
Old 07-10-2008, 07:34 AM   #5
60stepside

Thanks so much for all the information all. Yeah I did about 8 hours of research before I even posted, and I couldn't find out specific info on my situation. So as far as I could find out looks like I will need disc spindles and calipers from a 71-72 and 6 lug rotors from a 90-94?? I will take picts today and post 'em later this afternoon. Sorry for being a pain on this but there is a ton of information out there with people doing the conversions themselves without buying a $500-$900 kit, and its difficult to organize all the info.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:39 AM   #6
60stepside

LoL and I just noticed that my spelling of Brake in the Topic post was Break!
Old 07-10-2008, 09:03 AM   #7
joe231

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60stepside View Post
Thanks so much for all the information all. Yeah I did about 8 hours of research before I even posted, and I couldn't find out specific info on my situation. So as far as I could find out looks like I will need disc spindles and calipers from a 71-72 and 6 lug rotors from a 90-94?? I will take picts today and post 'em later this afternoon. Sorry for being a pain on this but there is a ton of information out there with people doing the conversions themselves without buying a $500-$900 kit, and its difficult to organize all the info.
from what i have read the early '90's 6-lug rotors have the wrong offset to use with the older spindles, dunno for sure.
the 5 lug swap is cheap and easy, with replacement parts being less expensive and greater availability. the down side is you have to change either the whole rear diff (gaining better gears) or drill/replace the six lug axles
Old 07-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #8
Chevy Fleetside

They didn't have drum brakes in 72. You should really find out what is in there. If they are 68-70 control arms then the later spindles might just bolt on. So if this front end came out of a 72 it would have been disc brakes to begin with. Pictures would be good..

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:25 PM   #9
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
from what i have read the early '90's 6-lug rotors have the wrong offset to use with the older spindles, dunno for sure.
the 5 lug swap is cheap and easy, with replacement parts being less expensive and greater availability. the down side is you have to change either the whole rear diff (gaining better gears) or drill/replace the six lug axles
In order to use the 90's spindles/rotors you just replace the lower arms with 67-72 3/4 ton arms. Then you can use all the 90's hardware including ball joints.

Read more here.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:22 AM   #10
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If you decide you want to go with the 6 lug disc setup using the light duty 3/4T parts this is the thread where I got most of the info I found useful.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...ad.php?t=35042

I've started collecting parts for this swap so I have several part numbers I'd be glad to share if it would help.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #11
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
If you decide you want to go with the 6 lug disc setup using the light duty 3/4T parts this is the thread where I got most of the info I found useful.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...ad.php?t=35042

I've started collecting parts for this swap so I have several part numbers I'd be glad to share if it would help.
Ya that's what I was linking through the other thread. I just linked the first thread because it had a couple more bits of info. Interested in your feedback because I have a 3/4 ton I'm parting and I'm considering this for the 64.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:57 AM   #12
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Ya that's what I was linking through the other thread. I just linked the first thread because it had a couple more bits of info. Interested in your feedback because I have a 3/4 ton I'm parting and I'm considering this for the 64.
Well this conversion is on the back burner until I get some more parts and the time to do it, so I can't give you any feedback on the swap as a whole. One of the reasons I decided to go this route is I like to do upgrades using various factory parts....a little more of a challenge and more interesting. The other reason is that I got a complete '94 1/2 ton 2wd front frame clip for free. So I got some of the necessary large and all the small parts all together and for free, which makes it attractive from a $$ viewpoint. Plus I also have a '69 C20 carcass at the shop that has the lower control arms that I need.

Whether a guy goes with the later model 6 lug rotors or the aftermarket 6 lug rotors, I would say would probably depend on an individuals resourcefulness which will influence the overall budget of the conversion.....assuming $$ is a concern.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote