The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2008, 03:05 AM   #1
LaraWilde

Chevy modification list - advice please

G'day,

I have a few finishing touches to make to my Chev and I am looking for advice. So here is the list of what I want to install and my thoughts so far.
Please leave any comments, tips or experiences you have... I wish to place an order early next week so I can have it finished for August.

1. Dash mounted cruise control
2. Install Air Con: she came standard with air con. I looked at a Vintage Air unit but with the changing over to right hand drive I don't think I have room under the bonnet. I may have to go a custom made job here. I would like to use all of the factory vents and controls.
3. Custom made centre console: the console will house all of the switches (fuel tank, turbot timer etc), a two way (CB radio I think you call it in the US), storage for my lap top and bits and bobs and finally a screen (see point 4.)
4. Entertainment system: I am considering a Pioneer AVIC unit with hands free phone, reversing camera, gps, and ipod connection.
5. Electric windows
6. Keyless Entry
7. Dual Battery system: With the 6.5L diesel in under the bonnet, I had to choose between the turbot, brakes or power steering. Now to fit a battery in their which fits in the small space but has enough CCA to turn her over is proving next to impossible. I would like to run a dual system - maybe tuck it back under the tray.
8. I have been looking at the billet dash through Brothers... any complaints out there... they look great.
9. Carpet - is there anything to be aware of and can I get sound proofing moulded to fit?
10. Speakers - in a small cab what is the best speaker set up to get optimal sound quality?
11. Intermittent wipers: being 5 foot nothing I have to climb off the seat to reach the wipers and in wet weather it can be dangerous. Surely it can't be too hard to put in a new motor or such?

Then I am just finding bucket seats and some personal touches.

Thanx in advance for your feedback lads.
LaraWilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:04 AM   #2
Billhilly

Re: Chevy modification list - advice please

Hey Lara,

Re #2 - I have bought a 'Old Air Hurricane System' for my '72 that I am converting to RHD. It's a smaller, 'box' shaped deal that won't be so confused sitting on the 'other side'! I got the 'incab' package 'cause it wasn't worth shipping condensors/compressors down here. It comes with ducting, cables, wiring loom (for blower) etc. It is about to leave Washington as we speak, so sorry, no photos or install tips.
This is what I bought - http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalo...oducts_id=5117
I got it from Wes at Classic Heartbeat - http://www.classicheartbeat.com/
My understanding is these unit's don't put A/C air on the windscreen like some do. Two outlets of hot for defrost, four cold for AC. A few other issues as well.
If you need more info just PM me.
Can't help with much of the other stuff, but I do know that a intermittent wiper kit is avaliable.

Bill.