The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
soule64

D Port Headers...

I posted this in the engine section last week, but I didn't get any answers that worked. I am sure someone out there is running a SBC with fastburn or other D-Port exhaust & angle plug heads, but I can't seem to find headers that will fit. I checked with Doug Thorley and the usual parts sources (Jegs, etc...) with no luck. I want ceramic and long tubes and I am sure there are other applications that might fit (Chevelle?). No suspension mods are planned and I will run full length 2.5 exhaust. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
soule64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
fastom
That's right, it's Copper!!

Re: D Port Headers...

I'm running a ZZ383, this engine has Fastburn heads, angle plugs, and D-shaped exhaust ports. I called Sanderson and they made a set of mid-length headers for me.

The headers, ceramic coating, fit and finish is all top notch.
Attached Images

Last edited by fastom; 07-14-2008 at 05:40 PM.
fastom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
70c10
67-72 Addict!

fastom- your whole truck is top notch!

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
70rs/ss

D-ports do not make a difference, but the angled plugs do. I don't think you'll have a lot of luck finding off the shelf headers to fit angle plug heads, but I do know they sell a spacer that puts the header about 1/4-1/2" away from the head and that is just enough to get a regular set of headers to fit the angle plugged heads. What does GM suggest for a header to fit this head?? Or better yet call Summit racing (1-800-230-3030) and ask about the header spacer thing and get with thier tech guys, they should be able to get you going on this. Honestly this is the reason a lot of guys stay away from that head (don't get me wrong it is an excellent head), but getting a off the shelf set of headers to fit is a PITA!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
soule64

I didn't know about the spacer - that actually might work... I did find a set of hedman headers that would work, but they were painted. I contacted Jet-Hot and they said they could coat them for $275 I think. Also found a few options for 73-87 trucks but I don't know what the 'fitment' issues would be. I should have done a little research before I bought...
soule64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
70rs/ss

I remember reading an article about using the spacers to just create enough space for the wires, so it should work. Ideally you'd want to get a header that will work, then use the spacer for insurance! I'd only use a set made for these years or possibly the Chevelle 3/4 length headers as those have been used on our trucks and are for sure to fit. The later trucks used a different, motor mount as well as different front suspension, so it would be a crap shoot as to wheather they would work or not. Can you try a set of SBC headers for the chevelles and see if maybe they have a ceramic coated set that'll also fit the angle plugs? I would for sure try a GM performance parts supplier as well since they sell the head/motors with those heads, they should have a decent idea of a header that'll fit the plugs and then go from there?? I was going to buy a set of those heads not too long ago and the angle plug and the $$$ slowed just enough that someone else bought em, IMO you didn't buy a bad head, just hot rodding isn't a bolt on deal sometimes, but once it is done the performance they give will be worth the little bit of hassle up front!!

Try Scoggin Dickey Chevrolet out of TX, they sell tons of these things and should be able to point you in the right direction!

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 07-15-2008 at 05:04 PM.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote