The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
The Big Green

My Build (Big Green)

I got this truck when I was just 16, had it 12 years now. I never really wanted to change anything, still don't want to change alot. These trucks are perfect the way they are, but I'd like the repaint, get the interior redone, and get it a new pair of shoes. I thought about 18's and 20's, and 20's and 22's. I have something in mind, but as far as wheels go, its back to 15's for Big Green. I posted a few pics, but first off, I'll say what its went thru over the years. First, when I bought it, it was a 327/400t, bone stock. I went to my best buds house the next day, and he said it was nice, but we needed to install a bigger cam...lol...thats where it all began. It got a Lunati 282dur/480lift cam, no stall, just cam. It was HUGE with no stall, it lunged at stoplights...lol. People used to sak "got enough cam in that thing?" We were 16 years old, it was cool back then, we didn't know better, what was a stall?...lol. Ran that engine for about a year or so, cracked a piston and traded my block to his dad for a fresh 350 block. The guy his dad bought it from told us it was 30over, built and had running same day. 2 days later, buy calls, says its 60over, to late now, it was done and with the same 327 cam, but 2500 stall, and was a 12.1 engine. That engine ran like an SOB for a year, 8 grand by a 17yr old teen several (hundred) times...lol. After that is was a 468bbc, over 700hp and 400shot, scared the ever living **** outta me. Sold the bb and built another 350 and when that route till todays gas prices, now its stock 350 with RV cam, and a DD. Pics in order.

stock 327, before or after cam, not sure.

burnout with the 12.1 350sbc

rearend change,350 13.1, from 3.08 to 4.11

Last edited by The Big Green; 07-19-2008 at 02:52 PM.
The Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: My Build (Big Green)

Nice story. Stay in touch.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:06 PM   #3
The Big Green

I start sanding tomorrow, along with bead blasting my door jams.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
Sinisterspeed

Wow, Nice to hear you still have it through your changes you just changed the truck to what you wanted at the time. I could see myself in the same situations you have been through with yours, 1 Young and Dumb (but its cool), Got a job and real money (now its really cool) , and to smart to try to drive it around with 700hp anymore (its cool to me) .. LOL That really hits home.

70 GMC Longhorn (A.K.A Money Bucket)
57 Chev 3100
05 Chevy LLY Dmax.
67 Chevy Camaro

Dad's Budget Build 55

My Longhorn Build
Sinisterspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:14 PM   #5
The Big Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinisterspeed View Post
Wow, Nice to hear you still have it through your changes you just changed the truck to what you wanted at the time. I could see myself in the same situations you have been through with yours, 1 Young and Dumb (but its cool), Got a job and real money (now its really cool) , and to smart to try to drive it around with 700hp anymore (its cool to me) .. LOL That really hits home.

I have so many stories, so many memories, and changes. I'll never get rid of this truck, and I will probably be around this site for a long time. I was 18, and raced this Impala with 327 and powerglide on the street we criused every weekend in Fort Smith. I got clocked in at 90 in a 35mph zone, very stupied, but fun back then...lol. I hit the interstate when I saw the cop make a u-turn, and hit excess of 150mph. I got scared and pulled in at a gas station. The guy got out of Impala and we started having words till 5 cop cars pulled in around us. We never got a ticket, the cops talked to me about my 67, and said, we know how it was when we were teenager, and just told us to take it to the tracks, so that we can't hurt anyone. Turns out the guy was a little mad at first because a gallon jug of oil fell out between the boards in my bed, loose board bounced aside letting it fall out. Storys point, some of us have had our trucks a while, and even if we haven't, they have been around and have made a lot of memories.

Anyways, back to my build, it will be a little slow, because I have 6 rides, and they all get something done from time to time, plus I'm a FireFighter/EMS and I teach classes from sometimes, so Ill be a little slow on this build. I'm going with an Emerald Green Pearlcoat, airbags, and I'm not sure on the interior. The engine is newly rebuilt and not brokein yet, but I'll be doing braided hoses and stuff like that.

I know theres a lot of really nice trucks on here, I'm open to opinions on stuff.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:35 PM   #6
The Big Green

Been working so much lately, and haven't found the time to work on it. I am starting to sand, prime, and paint. I blasted the gate, and worked on it all day long, it had 3 small dents, and the stock 67 gate was a pos, but new ones are worse...lol. I filled in the holes where the trim was, and worked on the places where the gates outer shell was spotwelded on back in 67. I wasn't going to paint a tailgate with new paint, and see the places where the spot welds where at. The gates also had high and low spots where the letters where stamped, not anymore, its perfect, and worth the work. The original paint on inside was like a light brown, or tan, its staying that color, but a green dash, should be nice when done.

Also, no bags, and no big wheels, not for me. I'm staying close to original, and with 15's, like Convo pros, I wanted 12 or 13 years ago when I bought it at 16ish. I thought about white interior, but keeping it clean would be a pain. I'm doing away with the side molding, if I want it again later on I'll drill the holes.

Last edited by The Big Green; 08-09-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

Very nice truck, love the engine history.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #8
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

great looking truck, and great story!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:15 AM   #9
The Big Green

Thank guys. I never had the money back then to fix it up, well, I did, but it went to much better things...lol, back in my teen years. Now, I want the truck to look good on the outside. This truck is, and was, very straight, and it got a lot of looks, and still does, and has primer spots and little dents and dings. Back when I was 16, it was younger people admiring, and know its older people. I guess because you can't see the engine, or feel the cam, and you could then. I got the tailgate painted, and I am very happy with the hours spent, and the color I picked out, and I kept the green for the name...lol. I have a black, yellow, red, blue, rust...lol, and maroon toys, so I didn't want to pick a different color. I stay away from custom colors, for easier dent fixes in the future. I'll get pics of the progress later, but my stupid camera is hiding from me, I swear it grew little legs.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:51 PM   #10
The Big Green

pics from the biuld.

Here's what the paint will look like.

Last edited by The Big Green; 08-08-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #11
The Big Green

I shaved the tailgate, but will be leaving the chrome side molding, less trouble, less filler, and looks great.

I will be sanding the tailgate back down, and repainting with a full gallon of matching paint (same batch) if not it won't be the same shade, slightly different. The dash will be the same green, with chrome accents, and black interior. I THOUGHT about black headlight bezels and stuff, but I think chrome will be better. I got the gate done, and will now be doing everything under the hood also...lol...along with painted green fenderwells, and a ceramic coated radiatior support.

Last edited by The Big Green; 08-08-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:05 PM   #12
Wreckless_71

Great stories man... I'm 18 years old and have been driving my lil red 71 since i turned 16. Me and my buddies have done some really stupid stuff in that truck but they're great memories like you said. If only she could talk
Old 08-08-2008, 02:35 PM   #13
The Big Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckless_71 View Post
Great stories man... I'm 18 years old and have been driving my lil red 71 since i turned 16. Me and my buddies have done some really stupid stuff in that truck but they're great memories like you said. If only she could talk
Don't ever sell your truck, good memories, hold on to it. I could talk forever on the ones I have made in my 67.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:45 PM   #14
The Big Green

In the pic of the front of my 67 with the grill and bumper off. The car behind is a 66 Chevelle, has a LOT of memories also, it has a 468BBC with about 700hp, and it has 2 stages of shots, 400 all together. The 66's frame is just to the right of my pic, of the front on my 67 p/k. The yellow car is a 65 Chevelle, pulls the tires 1st and 2nd gear, 600hp 383 stroker with a 400 shot on 2 stages. The red car is a 67 Chevelle, it will be stock 454. The newest addition to our family is the grey primered 69 Chevelle, professional boxer John David Chapman owns it. They all have good memories, and the 69 and 67 Chevelles will have memories in the future, got a ways to go though.