The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
stump

finally pics of my truck.. suggestions?

if anyone has suggestions on what i could do to make it look better.. im only 16 so i dont have a lot of money but right now im swapping a 350 into it (4.3 right now) i have the 350 but im doing some hop ups before i put it in.. paid three grand.. idk if i got ripped or not but its a solid truck and the ladie let me pay it in 3 payments.

stump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
Jimbob91

Re: finally pics of my truck.. suggestions?

Nice little truck.

Personnally, I'd probably loose the corner markers, and bra.......

91 GMC K-5 Jimmy 350/700R4/241/10boltX2 W/4:56's/locked. 6inch Softride on 35's. Starting to show signs of trail life...

86 Chev K-10 Short 383/350/208/10&12bolt Gonna be the pretty truck...
Jimbob91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
stump

i took those off right after the pic haha.. the bra has to stay untill i paint it.. idk when that is but its all scratched and not faded under it..
Old 07-20-2008, 05:33 PM   #4
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

I’d keep the 6 cylinder for now and worry about cosmetic stuff, if the 6 runs OK. For me, I’d loose the stuff mentioned above along with the steps, grab handles and visor. Paint the drums black and lower it all the way around. The mud flaps need to go as well.

That’s just me, what matters is what YOU think about it!

My first truck/car was a 1953 Ford F-100 that was used at my Dad’s service station. The truck was 20 years old, baby blue with Cragars and the station name painted on the doors. Wasn’t exactly a chick magnet then, would be cool as you know what now.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
chevymotocross

Whoa, definitely take off that bra, the bumper poles, the bed rails, grab bars and the running boards. I think they look tacky. The visor is acceptable, I don't think it looks bad, like the other stuff. I could picture how your truck would look without those items and it would definitely look awesome. You already got nice wheels and a nice color. Repair or replace that broken gas tank door. Try and find some chrome mirrors, instead of the black ones, they will bolt right up. Otherwise, you have a good start!

Last edited by chevymotocross; 07-20-2008 at 06:36 PM.
chevymotocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
stump

yeah.. i wanted to ditch the cab lights but im not sure how to fix the holes.. i dont have much expericne with bondo and dont know if that would even be the right thing to do..i noticed the back of the frame is rusted out.. behind where the leafe sprin mounts.. like the bumper brackets and stuff are bad.. can i just get a rollpan and eliminate those? it only has 127k miles on it, 50k on the motor.. guy died a while ago and it sat..
Old 07-20-2008, 07:25 PM   #7
us111

nice truck,good deal in my opinion looks good!
us111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:32 PM   #8
stump

yeah i paid 3k, 5k in recieps (over the last 5 years, but it sat) plus 4 winter tires on rims and those rims and tires.. they have about 150-200 miles on them.. so i figured i got a good deal.. thanks for the imput everyone
Old 07-20-2008, 08:01 PM   #9
chevymotocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by stump View Post
yeah.. i wanted to ditch the cab lights but im not sure how to fix the holes.. i dont have much expericne with bondo and dont know if that would even be the right thing to do..i noticed the back of the frame is rusted out.. behind where the leafe sprin mounts.. like the bumper brackets and stuff are bad.. can i just get a rollpan and eliminate those? it only has 127k miles on it, 50k on the motor.. guy died a while ago and it sat..
If it's just your bumper brackets that are bad, you can add a rollpan. While you are at it, grind down that frame area and rust proof it. You are a fellow New Englander, I would check your tail pan out as well to see if it's rusted.

Last edited by chevymotocross; 07-20-2008 at 08:05 PM.
chevymotocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:08 PM   #10
stump

haha newb here.. tail pan?
Old 07-20-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
andresco50

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymotocross View Post
Whoa, definitely take off that bra, the bumper poles, the bed rails, grab bars and the running boards. I think they look tacky. The visor is acceptable, I don't think it looks bad, like the other stuff. I could picture how your truck would look without those items and it would definitely look awesome. You already got nice wheels and a nice color. Repair or replace that broken gas tank door. Try and find some chrome mirrors, instead of the black ones, they will bolt right up. Otherwise, you have a good start!
Nice truck man But I think like chevymotocross
andresco50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:50 PM   #12
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

well i think they about covered everything that needs to come off of it.. looks like they threw a jc whitney catalog at it... nice clean truck. id leve the 6 in it and dirve it until it blew up..
Old 07-20-2008, 09:24 PM   #13
BowTieOgre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GMC454 View Post
well i think they about covered everything that needs to come off of it.. looks like they threw a jc whitney catalog at it... nice clean truck. id leve the 6 in it and dirve it until it blew up..
I was going to say the same thing about the jc whitney treatment. My suggestions are lose the rail tubes, clearance markers on the front, step bars on the side and the grab bars on the cab. Lower it and roll.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #14
1974k5blazer
Account Suspended

too much crap on it! the visor, steps, front stick lights! look like you stop at truck stops and load up on crap! my suggestion is take all the little screw on doo dads off and it would be a nice little truck!
1974k5blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #15
1974k5blazer
Account Suspended

always wonder why chevy named their most stripped down truck "custom deluxe"
1974k5blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:56 PM   #16
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

You got a nice truck, so enjoy it. First thing is to check it over and make sure everything works properly. If it's all in good mechanical shape, then focus on cosmetics. Like others have mentioned, if the 6 is running good, leave it alone. It may not be a hot rod motor, but has plenty of power to get you more tickets than you can afford.

You might try buffing the paint to see if it will come back to life. Go slow and do it right and you might be surprised at how well the old girl will shine up.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:28 PM   #17
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

id lose the tupperware running boards too but it is a nice truck what color you goin with?? and i dont think thats a bra on the front it kinda looks like a g string lol

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:19 AM   #18
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Add a big stereo. That's what every 16 year old kid needs right?

Seriously though, I don't really have must int he way of new input.

If you can find the time/money, I'd convert it to dual headlights.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:01 AM   #19
staggerd86c-10
Squarebody Aficionado

good looking truck i have to agree with everyone else get rid of all the lil add-ons and it will look alot better. As far as leaving the 6 in it......if you have the 350 already you might as well put it in, but if you plan on building some serious power just leave the six for now because putting a new motor means building up everything else around it. I think the best idea is to try to clean up what you have, get rid of all those bolt ons and give it a nice buff maybe spend a couple bucks and take it to someone that specializes in that so you dont end up burning your pain and it becomes more expensive then what it cost to get it done by a pro. I hope you enjoy it. I wish i had a truck like that at 16.
staggerd86c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #20
Jimbob91

Good points on the buff. I'll bet it'll bring the paint back to life. Like staggerd' said, if you don't have the equipment, or experience, it might be worth it for a professional buff. If you know someone that has the tools and could teach you, you'd learn something.

Wish my truck had looked that good when I was 16....the only thing my first truck came with was some rust holes...... Well, it did have a big block.... Thinking back, I couldn't afford gas then either.....

Ahhh, youth......

91 GMC K-5 Jimmy 350/700R4/241/10boltX2 W/4:56's/locked. 6inch Softride on 35's. Starting to show signs of trail life...

86 Chev K-10 Short 383/350/208/10&12bolt Gonna be the pretty truck...
Jimbob91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:46 AM   #21
seanconnery

I think just to be different you should find a way to incorporate the roof running lights into your overall design. I've always thought they looked cool. Mabye some clear lenses? Are they attached to the windshield visor, or are they on the roof itself? I can't tell from the pics. And BTW, nice score.

RIP Jerry Reed "The Snowman"
seanconnery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #22
stump

there on the roof.. im do not need a huge sterio.. i have a head unit that ima put in and probly throw some cheap speakers in.. it was painted back in 99-2000.. im worried about the frame the most.. i have the 350 out of another truck.. it only has 80k miles on it so im cleaning the motor up, painting it doing headers intake and probly put it in.. im going blueberry raking for the next 2 months and that will make about 900$ and i mow lawns and stuff so im hoping to get a good start