The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
AllenKarber

Eliminating the external regulator...

I'm wanting to finally get rid of my external regulated alternator,and I just have a few questions.

This harness from M&H is just a plug and play deal right? I don't necessarliy want to go to a one wire,so this should work correct?

http://www.wiringharness.com/images/parts/27555.jpg

The alternator I need is an SI series right? If you've done this swap,where did buy your alternator and what amp output did you go with???
AllenKarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:39 PM   #2
brawley
Easy Does It

Re: Eliminating the external regulator...

I believe you can just ask for an internaly regulated alternator 1 wire at any auto parts store, then run 1 wire from alt. to horn relay. disconect the regulator and all the old wires you can toss. somebody tell me if im wrong because im getting ready to do this to another truck of mine.
brawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
2ndGenRR

Check out this article on the Mad Electrical website. Lots of information, and about 3/4 of the way down it discusses specific applications. That way when the parts counter kid asks what year, make and model you will have an answer!

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...elcoremy.shtml
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton, 3-window...building to sell.
Daily Drivers: 1998 3/4 ton Burb with a 6.5 Turbo Diesel and 1994 1/2 ton Silverado.

I grew up in Flint, Michigan so I can't help but to bleed Chevy!
2ndGenRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:39 PM   #4
AllenKarber

I know about the one-wire deal,but I want to keep my idiot light (cuz I'm an idiot.)

I do appreciate the help!
Old 07-24-2008, 07:46 AM   #5
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenKarber View Post
I'm wanting to finally get rid of my external regulated alternator,and I just have a few questions.

This harness from M&H is just a plug and play deal right? I don't necessarliy want to go to a one wire,so this should work correct?

http://www.wiringharness.com/images/parts/27555.jpg

The alternator I need is an SI series right? If you've done this swap,where did buy your alternator and what amp output did you go with???
Yes, you want a 10 SI. I bought my 10SI (system integrated= with internal regulator) at local NAPA. Most of the stock ones are 63 amp, which is plenty good enough if you're not running a lot of accessories. PM me if you want one I am not using anymore. (The madelectrical link in the post above is not the one about one-wires... do check it out.)

Truck Pictures: http://community.webshots.com/user/billydonn
Truck Video: http://good-times.webshots.com/video...ost=good-times

Last edited by billydonn; 07-24-2008 at 07:50 AM.
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
AllenKarber

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
Yes, you want a 10 SI. I bought my 10SI (system integrated= with internal regulator) at local NAPA. Most of the stock ones are 63 amp, which is plenty good enough if you're not running a lot of accessories. PM me if you want one I am not using anymore. (The madelectrical link in the post above is not the one about one-wires... do check it out.)
Thanks for the offer Billy Don!

I found out what my problem was. The wire from the horn relay to the battery was VERY loose. My truck wouldn't start after after starting a few minutes previously. I was determined I was going to find out what the problem was,and that was it. I've only driven my truck 4 times since I put it back on the road in early June,and I've fought electrical problems. My lights were dim,the radio would crap out,and sometimes the truck wouldn't start,and the tach was jumpy.
In addition,the truck didn't run nearly as good as it should. It sure didn't feel like it had enough power,but now it's running better. I still haven't turned the 388 loose yet though.

I'm still going to do this conversion someday,but things seemed to be good now. My tach quits when you turn the headlights on though so I gotta figure that out. Oh,and my speedometer was acting up last night also!

Oh the joy of owning an old truck!!

Last edited by AllenKarber; 07-26-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:44 PM   #7
brawley
Easy Does It

I have a delco-remy alternator that I would like to use- can I change this over to a one wire internal regulated ? Is this something I can do ,is there a kit or web site that tells how or what ? Or is it beter to just get a new one? thanks
Old 08-05-2008, 11:09 PM   #8
brawley
Easy Does It

actually I don't want the one wire, but I want to be able to wire this in to my truck and toss the regulator and any extra wires, heres a picture of what I have. Is there some kit I can use for these trucks-do I need a regulator for this/ thanks
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2008, 12:20 AM   #9
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by brawley View Post
actually I don't want the one wire, but I want to be able to wire this in to my truck and toss the regulator and any extra wires, heres a picture of what I have. Is there some kit I can use for these trucks-do I need a regulator for this/ thanks
Yes that is an internally regulated alternator. For info on installation just check out the links posted above.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:27 AM   #10
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by brawley View Post
Im in this same boat. my truck is a 71, it has no regulator, the alt. that was on it when i bought it had internal regulator. I looked at this site.. very easy.

http://www.6066gmcguy.org/charging.htm

should help you a ton.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #11
brawley
Easy Does It

ON the three wires coming off this alternator the battery post #1 should connect to the horn relay where the battery wire comes in to it, the brown wire from the amp gauge goes to #3 terminal -now for the #2 post- ignition switch what do I run that to ? could i route that to the red ignition wire from the harness where it connects to the horn relay?
Old 09-03-2008, 06:09 PM   #12
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

I finally found the thread that helped me switch from external to an internal regulated alternator.

If you click on forums on this site, then the very first one says welcome area, click below thatwhere it says sub forum, faq site related. then scroll down to the external/internal post by todtheodd.
I followed his instructions exactly and have had no problems since!
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #13
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Found this earlier if it helps any.

http://www.persh.org/pickup/UnderTheHood.htm#Alternator

I read that fact page and its pretty good. Is that the same thing you would use on a 60-66 model? I didn't see what particular model it was installed on, but I'm guessing its pretty universal?

Last edited by kizer; 09-03-2008 at 06:47 PM.
kizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:16 PM   #14
hAetWagon
Schlongbed MEMBER (heh)#15

Wow,Great info here. I didn't even think to ask these questions.

"Old truck, all new headaches."
hAetWagon is offline   Reply With Quote