The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
jeff messenger

Question Lug Nuts/wheels

I Hope Someone Can Help,
Heres My ? I Have A 69 3/4 Ton The Wheels Are From A Newer Truck (80s My Guess) The Stud Holes Are Bigger Then The 69 Studs They Seem Tto Tighten Up Ok But I Just Cant See How There Going To Stay Tight Once I Start Driving It. (not On The Road Yet) I Think The Wheels Are For 1/2" Lugs Maybe Bigger And The Studs On The Truck Are Smaller 7/16" Theres A Visable Difference When I Look At The Wheels On My Friends Truck.
Do They Make A Bigger Lug Nut To Fit The Studs On My Truck To Make These Wheels Fit Better.
Help!!!!
Jeff
jeff messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
WorkinLonghorn

Re: Lug Nuts/wheels

Wish I could help you.Seems like somebody would make little collars that would effectively increase the stud diameter.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
Woobie

Do the lug nuts have a tapered shoulder between the thread and hex head? If so, the wheels need to have the matching tapered area on each hole. Then they will center up on the wheel and be fine. Otherwise, if the nuts have a square shoulder they would mate to a flat face on the wheel/and,or washer. Hope this makes sense. I'm sure someone else will chime in.
Good luck.

Regards,
Paul

Duh, just reread your post, if you've got different size stud/hole, I don't have and answer for you. Sorry!
2007 Xterra (Wife's ride)

R.I.P. "ESLL"

Last edited by Woobie; 07-22-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Woobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
john
member #16

The 3/4 ton trucks used 1/2" lugs through 1970. 1971 & 1972's used 9/16 lugs. I know alot of the trucks are using later wheels on them. Maybe someone who has done the switch will jump in and answer your ?.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
70rs/ss

Yeah the conical lug nut goes into the beveled hole and centers each stud in the hole and will be OK, but an upgrade to bigger studs is a surefire way to ensure no issues, as well as offering more strength in holding the wheel. The early stuff has smaller studs, an upgrade in size is a good idea, but not necessary by any means.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I've been beating on my longhorn with the 1/2 inch studs and 9/16 inch hole wheels since '05 with no problems what so ever.
Did the same on my old longhorn, but that was only a year till it got whacked with a mazda and totaled it
As long as the taper is the same on the lugnuts and the wheel... which they are, then it'll be fine.
NOW...
If you have ford wheels, or dodge wheels, or aftermarket wheels.... then you can't do it.
99% of the aftermarket wheels are universal, they were made to fit any of the big 3 trucks.
The ford and dodge trucks have a larger center hole... where the hub comes through. The hub is where the weight of the truck rides, the lug nuts just hold the wheel to the hub. This is called hub excentric. (may have misspelled that)
But, if the wheel sits snig on the hub, then you will be fine.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:33 PM   #7
72Subby

In 88 or so they went to metric studs, so you need to get new lug nuts to mount later wheels and caps on an older truck.

that's what I did.

I got my lug nuts from a guy named "lugnutking" on eBay (he has a store) and it was exactly what I needed - 9/16" lug nuts with the dual threads for the modern plastic caps

--steve