The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Toddmac

Is this an option item?

Howdy gang,
I was looking at the rust collection under our 67 and I noticed something I haven't seen before. The truck has coil springs but coming from the back of the frame and running forward to the axle there are single leaf helper springs. Did all 67s have this or is this an option that is on here. I need to run the axle numbers too...it has a 12 bolt and it seems to have very steep gears to me. I was wondering if the thing is optioned out for heavy duty or some other kind of pulling package. Any ideas?

I forgot to add that the truck seems really high in the rear end and I always figured that is cause the bed it junk and missing alot of wood etc. That's the truck in my avatar.

Thanks! Todd
Toddmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
68 Stepside
huh?

Re: Is this an option item?

Those sound like factory "helper" springs to me. Someone else can post the option code and such for you. If you have an SPID (Service Parts Identification) label on the inside of the glovebox door, it'll help identify the options your truck may have.

~TJ
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
Toddmac

Re: Is this an option item?

I went back outside and did some reading on what I could make out on the glove box sticker.....just about unreadable but I did see it shows HD rear springs and aux springs...nothing else too notable other than I think it says stabilizer..LOL
What a shame...all those springs and if I put something in the bed heavier than a brick, it would go right thru. I came home the other day and my son was standing in the bed..I said "are you crazy..you are gonna go right thru" he had went thru once..LOL and learned a lesson so he had perched himself on the cross braces and was cleaning out all the leaves and junk.
Gonna have to make replacing that bed a priority...there isn't a straight 12" run along the sides anywhere and the bottom is a real mess. It sits low on the passenger side and I thought it broke a mount..no such luck. The bed has lost enough wood and bracing that it has actually collapsed down over itself it would appear.
Anybody want to trade a driver bed for kittens..?? I have kittens....too many of them in fact.
Toddmac is offline   Reply With Quote