The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2008, 01:15 AM   #1
mudmizer

Unhappy starter help on a I-6 250

I'm going nuts trying to find a starter for my boys 69 C-20 2 wheel drive strait 6, 250.
Heres what we did. The old 3 on the tree was totally worn out so I got everything we needed from a doner 69 straight 6 with a 400 three speed auto. We swaped it all out and now I have spent 2 weeks trying to get a starter to fit it. the standard starter had the old 3 flange type that bolted horizontaly to the old 3 speed bellhousing. The new TH 400 needs the starter bolted to the 250 block with the 2 starter bolts going strait up, like the newer statrers. The block has 2 holes for the starter in line, not stagered. Every starter I have tried is supposed to be for a 69 C20 2 wheel drive with the 3 speed auto, but will not fit. The starter bendex shaft hits the flexplate before the bolts line up. It acts like the flexplate should be smaller diamater(153 tooth) but the 168 tooth is the one from the donner truck. I ran all the years and trannys for this and everything I come up with says it has the correct flexplate at 168 tooth.

Help guys, I counting on yall.
Part #s, advice, ideas, HELP!!!!
Old 07-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
caja_larga

Re: starter help on a I-6 250

I had the same problem with my hot rod... Here the deal the best I can remember. Ithe bell housing has to match the fly wheel(or flex plate. Iam sure you have a large flex plate. A starter can be but together by a place that rebuilds starters ( a good place with a old time who knows what he is doing. I found that to use what I had I needed a universal hi torgue starter.Summit SUM-829100 heres one from summit. it works with both sizes of flx plate/flywheel and has a universal bolt pattern. hope this was clear as mud
caja_larga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
mudmizer

Re: starter help on a I-6 250

Thanks. I found an old thread that spelled some of it out. I have a tilton mini starter on my truck's 454. If it fits the 250 I'll just swap starters with my boy for now. (I pay for everything anyway).