The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
seanconnery

Pics of truck, finally!

Allright, here goes. I finally got around to snapping a few pics of my 81’ GMC Sierra Grande. It has the ugly brown and tan 2 tone with the color matched roof, 250 6 cylinder, automatic (th350 I assume?), dual gas tanks, air conditioning, delay wipers, cargo light, manual door locks and windows and 121,000 original miles. The reason I listed all the options is that I thought the Grande package was mostly a stripper model. Air conditioning back then was definitely NOT standard equipment, was it? No rust in the cab corners, but the rockers are shot, and there’s some rot at the bottom of the passenger front fender that continues into the bottom corner of the door. The passenger door also has rust when you open it and get on your knees and look up at the part of the door where it bumps out and there’s a vent looking thing. There’s a small spot behind the passenger bed side wheel well. The rest is dent and rust free. Up until 2 months ago it had a matching light tan cap on it from day one, so the bed is mint save for a few small scratches.

My slow and very long term plans are to bag it and have a tight weekend warrior. First up on the to-do list is a static slam job and a rust killing spree. Then I’d like to shift focus on to body mods. I live in a condo so there’s no place to work on it – only when I can drive it to my dads where I keep all my tools, jacks, welder and the rest of the necessary items.

All in all it’s nice for what it is and the price was cheap (1K). Let me know what y’all think. If anyone’s interested, I’d like to ditch the rear bumper, and there’s a pretty nice Reese hitch that I don’t want. I don’t want any money for them, cause I’d rather see someone get some use out of them. So if you live in Maryland (I live in Towson) or can otherwise rendezvous with me, you can have em’. Just let me know and give me time to take them off. Sorry for the long post – I “promise” I won’t do it again!

Corey
Attached Images

RIP Jerry Reed "The Snowman"
seanconnery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
D13

Re: Pics of truck, finally!

L6 auto air dual tanks manwel windows and locks? I want it!

If it was for sale I'd be first in line.

That is the exact package I'm going to build (but I'll add cruise), and here someone has aready built it.

Anything that runs is $700, so a nice option package for $1K is a good deal.

Gotta admit the color isn't my first choice but it's not the worst either. Perhaps bronze upper on the repaint?

trade ya my 87 loaded LWB diesel for it...

Got pix underhood? Someone was looking for L6 A/C bracketry photos, and I'd love to see the pulleys and belt routings. Especially if it has power steering, very curious how many grooves on what pulley and where the belts go.

Thanks for sharing!
Plus a mess o' tractors

Last edited by D13; 07-24-2008 at 01:14 PM.
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
jdurant

What long post? That's a short one from my standards.
My wife would leave me if I bought another vehicle, and I wouldn't have walked away from a somewhat straight running swb for 1$k.
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd

Last edited by jdurant; 07-24-2008 at 01:31 PM.
jdurant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #4
Longhorn321
Size Matters

I'll take the hitch! Let me know and we can arrange shipping/pickup. My dad travels that way sometimes so maybe he could pick it up. Otherwise, I'll figure a way to ship it.

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Longhorn321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
Longhorn321
Size Matters

Hell, I'll take the bumper too!

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Old 07-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
flamingbig10
6.0 powered square

good project, the rust isn't to bad for being up north, heres one place that you can get rust repair panelshttp 73-87chevytrucks.com

Last edited by flamingbig10; 07-24-2008 at 01:52 PM.
flamingbig10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
Longhorn321
Size Matters

Just spoke to my Dad....any chance you will be at Hershey this fall?

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Old 07-24-2008, 02:48 PM   #8
seanconnery

What is in Hershey? I was kind of hoping that someone local to me would just come and take them from me, but who knows...

I'm going to miss the Carlisle All Truck Nationals this year as it's my first wedding anniversary, or else I'd throw them in the bed and take them with me. In fact, I haven't even taken them off yet.

D13: I saw that post about the AC bracketry last week and I noticed that it was in reference to a 292. Not knowing much about these full size trucks yet (this is my 1st full size. I always had S10's) I thought that I couldn't provide any help. If these motors are the same on the outside as far as brackets and mounts etc, then let me know and I'll snap a few pics. The double-ugly colors definitely will have to go. When I start bodywork, there can only be so many primer patches before it will just look stupid, and then I'll just prime the whole darn thing. I'll bet a rootbeer color with a metallic, and a tan with a metallic split by a yet-to-be-determined color pinstripe would look classy. I had it out on the beltway the other day for the first time, and wow. I got it up to 55, but it took every bit of 25-30 seconds. It ran solid and smooth, but it is not going to go anywhere fast. I usually just drive it around town when there's no threat of rain, cause I haven't replaced the wiper motor yet.

Last edited by seanconnery; 07-24-2008 at 02:57 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 07-24-2008, 05:00 PM   #9
Longhorn321
Size Matters

I have never been to Hershey so I can't really say what's there. My dad goes every year and I know he is looking for older stuff than your truck. Looking at their web site, http://local.aaca.org/hershey/index.htm it looks like mostly older stuff....mostly pre 1960? I'm sure there will be some later model stuff but again, I'm just guessing. I can work something else out if you are not going. How about the Charlotte Auto Fair Sept. 4-7? http://www.charlotte-autofair.com/ I know for a fact they have plenty for your truck...I go there twice a year. I definitly want the hitch and the bumper tho. I have a '76 that needs a bumper and a '69 that needs a hitch so they wont go to waste. We just gotta work out a way. Maybe we can post a thread on here lookin for somebody traveling between here and there.

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Old 07-24-2008, 05:07 PM   #10
Longhorn321
Size Matters

Here is another possibility http://www.carlisleevents.com/ce/events/fall-carlisle/ Oct. 1-5

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Old 07-25-2008, 06:23 AM   #11
D13

The 250 is shorter than the 292, the brackets are different but similar in concept (the heads interchange so the upper bolt sections would be the same).
You should never be in a hurry with a L6, but they are pretty nice to cruise along in. Just plain reliable.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:45 AM   #12
seanconnery

D13: I'm not saying I would be in a hurry. I do want to go highway speed though. Is 65 miles an hour asking too much?

Longhorn321: The only reason I'd drive all the way to Charlotte would be for the race. If you can find someone who drives all over to snatch them for you, their yours. I did forget to mention that the chrome is beginning to come off the bumper. It's kind of flaking off. I don't want just cause it's big and ugly. I'd rather just mount the plate under the tailgate until I get a rollpan. Your L6 is posi? How can I find out if mine is too - without placing left foot on brakes and right foot on gas, of course!

Last edited by seanconnery; 07-25-2008 at 09:46 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 07-25-2008, 10:29 AM   #13
Longhorn321
Size Matters

Don't worry, I'll find a way to get 'em. No worries about the chrome...my bumper is all twisted (read...straight with peeling chrome is better than twisted). I don't have a L6...both of mine are V8s. The '69 has a "no spin" diff. If you put a jack under the rear end and get both tires off the ground (block the front tires for safety) then put the tranny in neutral and spin one rear tire. If the other side spins the same way, you have some form of limited slip or "posi". If the other side spins in the opposite direction, you have an "open" differential.

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!