The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
Albatrossian
Georgia Boy

Mirrors

Has anyone swapped those itty-bitty square mirrors for the big, dumbo style mirrors? Is it a direct swap or is there drilling involved?
Albatrossian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Re: Mirrors

You'll need to add another hole for the lower screw/bolt. Not sure if the top 2 match up or not

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.

Last edited by S10Fan; 07-25-2008 at 09:37 PM. Reason: screw up
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
Albatrossian
Georgia Boy

I just can't see out of those little mirrors.. I think the big ones look better anyway.. and they're a good place to rest your hand too.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:48 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

you need to drill the holes.. you will also want to get the c shaped clip that holds one of the bolts through the door into the inside part of the door otherwise the mirrors wiggle like crazy... I put an extra plate i made inside the outer door panel for added strength
if you really need pics let me know and ill go to the basement and shoot some of the junk i have there

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!

Last edited by old Rusty C10; 07-25-2008 at 09:48 PM.
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:52 PM   #5
Albatrossian
Georgia Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
you need to drill the holes.. you will also want to get the c shaped clip that holds one of the bolts through the door into the inside part of the door otherwise the mirrors wiggle like crazy... I put an extra plate i made inside the outer door panel for added strength
if you really need pics let me know and ill go to the basement and shoot some of the junk i have there
If you could get those pics, it'd be very much appreciated.. I'm probably gonna do the swap tomorrow.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:54 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

give me twenty minutes to go to the basement

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
Old 07-25-2008, 10:17 PM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I was looking for the braces but i took a pic of an old door that ive not scrapped yet showing where the holes are about and the mirror... my wife tells me that the braces i had i used on the doors i replaced on the truck which never had any on the mirrors there.. the braces kinda look like question marks you can try to search ebay they sometimes show the braces with the mirror... i cant shoot pics of the door on my truck as its at my other house over 200 miles away

Someone went through all the stuff in the basement anyway so it wasnt where i had itif it was there where i thought an extra set was.. I gotta lock the basement up too now it seems
Attached Images

I hate cancer!!
Old 07-25-2008, 10:27 PM   #8
Albatrossian
Georgia Boy

Do I really have to have the braces or should I fab something up?
Old 07-25-2008, 11:04 PM   #9
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

the reason i made the brace for the inside of the door is i use my truck regularly in the city where the roads have craters and you get idiots smashing into your mirrors. Ive seen many old trucks with the bolt holes ripped apart so i did it for my own added trength.. as to the question mark pieces they are definately necessary.. the mirrors shake at idle and at highway speed without them

I hate cancer!!
Old 07-25-2008, 11:11 PM   #10
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

Quote:
the reason i made the brace for the inside of the door is i use my truck regularly in the city where the roads have craters and you get idiots smashing into your mirrors. Ive seen many old trucks with the bolt holes ripped apart so i did it for my own added trength.. as to the question mark pieces they are definately necessary.. the mirrors shake at idle and at highway speed without them
Bob,

Where can I find the inserts for the mounting bolts to fasten to? I'm missing one on one of my doors. But, I'm also considering switching from dumbo to square ones too. Thanks, Kenny
87Lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:44 PM   #11
Square84
I don't think these pills work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatrossian View Post
Do I really have to have the braces or should I fab something up?
the doors will somtimes crack where the strip of metal that seperates the window from the wing window is with the big mirrors if you dont use the brace.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:51 AM   #12
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Lowrider View Post
Bob,

Where can I find the inserts for the mounting bolts to fasten to? I'm missing one on one of my doors. But, I'm also considering switching from dumbo to square ones too. Thanks, Kenny
I just replaced my doors with some from a 90 Blazer, both were missing the lower insert. But! It looked like the PO used a simple nut and washer. I had to remove the door panels anyway so it was too much extra work. Big PIA otherwise.

I just haven't found the mirrors I'm looking for so the dumbos are needed for now.

I have some nice billet Arlen Ness motorcycle mirrors on my S-10. They look good but you can't see #$%@! with them. LOL

Old 07-26-2008, 04:54 AM   #13
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatrossian View Post
If you could get those pics, it'd be very much appreciated.. I'm probably gonna do the swap tomorrow.
I was just out in the garage looking, thought I had a couple in a box. They are made to go around the forward window channel, that's why they have an odd shape.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:44 AM   #14
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Goood info on brackets, mounting hole locations, etc. for both types of mirrors:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=212214

Slonaker
Old 07-26-2008, 07:25 AM   #15
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Found It!
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2008, 12:23 PM   #16
dswancutt

Somewhere I have the GM template that comes with the large mirrors that uses the small mirror holes as as reference point to drill the holes for the dumbo mirrors. If you are interested, I can try and scan it for you or copy it and send it by snail mail. Let me know.
Oh, and the inserts for the used to be available from GM. I can look that up also

Last edited by dswancutt; 07-26-2008 at 12:25 PM.
dswancutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:36 PM   #17
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10Fan View Post
I have some nice billet Arlen Ness motorcycle mirrors on my S-10. They look good but you can't see #$%@! with them. LOL
I bought some square chrome sport mirrors from LMC a while back but haven't installed them yet. I kinda like the way those sporty mirrors look, but I'm torn between the 2 styles. I'll show some pics after I get them installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswancutt View Post
Oh, and the inserts for the used to be available from GM. I can look that up also
That'd be great!!

Last edited by 87Lowrider; 07-26-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:54 PM   #18
dswancutt

the insert (GM calls it a nut) part number is 367292 and is still available from GM. It lists for $2.41 each.
dswancutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #19
dhughins

could you measure the hole and tell me how far from the top of the door they are? i want to replace these big towing? mirrors with the stainless steel dumbos but dont want to have to weld up old holes.i'm hoping they will cover the existing holes i have the truck for sale and don't wanna invest to much in it incase it sells
Name:  mirro.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  19.1 KB

[ATTACH]Name:  low2.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  74.6 KB[/ATTACH]
Attached Images

dhughins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:01 PM   #20
Albatrossian
Georgia Boy

Quote:
Somewhere I have the GM template that comes with the large mirrors that uses the small mirror holes as as reference point to drill the holes for the dumbo mirrors. If you are interested, I can try and scan it for you or copy it and send it by snail mail. Let me know.
If you could scan that, I'll be your best friend for life. I'm just in here for a bit soaking up some AC. Been out cleaning up an 80 GMC 4x4 I traded for a washer and dryer. Yes it runs, drives, the 4 wheel drive works and is tagged. I'm just taking off of it what I need for my 81 2WD and selling it to get a trans for my baby. It's dang hot out there today.. 99!
Old 07-26-2008, 02:40 PM   #21
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Kenny i find em all the time in the boneyards when you can pull em yourselves

I hate cancer!!
Old 07-26-2008, 05:32 PM   #22
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

Quote:
Kenny i find em all the time in the boneyards when you can pull em yourselves
I'll run by the boneyard and see if I can find a few. Sometimes the obvious excapes me!
Old 07-26-2008, 07:53 PM   #23
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

I think one of you guys is putting on the sport mirrors, and the other is putting on the dumbos. Maybe you guys should just swap doors.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:16 PM   #24
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

now there's a thought!
Old 07-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #25
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

Quote:
the insert (GM calls it a nut) part number is 367292 and is still available from GM. It lists for $2.41 each.
Thanks for the info... I'll run by the dealership and see if they have any... beats going to the junkyard...

Ken