The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2002, 11:59 PM   #1
70greenchevy

questions, shocks, carbs, engine, etc

I have a few questions that maybe some of you can help. I am looking to put new rear shocks on my 1970 chevy 2wd. It is a daily driver with some hauling but mostly just tools. What are some good/cheap shocks that give a good ride. I purchased some Napa sensatrac, but haven't put them on yet. Is there others that i should look into or does it really matter? Also, i need a new carb. am looking at an edlebrock. I am looking for some performance but respectable mileage. Last thing. I recently blew out my engine(350, sent the rods through the pan) and i bought a used 350 to throw in until i rebuild my old one. This used engine had been sitting for a year and a half, but seems to run good. Except..., the stupid thing burns about a quart of oil every 150 miles. Is this just an engine that has sat for a while or does it need a rebuild. I have only put about 500 miles on the engine so far, but i am adding a lot of oil. Also, the oil pressure really drops when the engine is warm and i am sitting at a stop light, drops below 1/4. Any help would be appreciated. and I love the board. Awesome job. will be sending in some money to keep this thing going. Thanks

Jason
70greenchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 12:38 AM   #2
dion
72 Cheyenne

I bought some heavy duty shocks from Napa and they seemed to work fine so you're probably okay with those.
I also had the Edelbrock 1406 E Choke 600 and it was great for basic city driving and a little more. You will be happy with it. I did however switch to a Q Jet.
I would say your 350 is due for a rebuild.

Welcome and happy trucking!
1966/67Stouts
dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 12:49 AM   #3
mikep
Used to have a truck

You can probably get a few more useable miles out of that 350 by changing the valve seals. Most small block chevy oil consumption problems can be traced to oil running down the valve guides. A new set of umbrella valve seals on the intake side will give you a few months of smoke free driving and wont cost you more than what a set of valve covers and the rubber seals themselves go for . $15 total maybe.