The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2002, 09:05 AM   #1
Purs
Got Big Block?

Help,

been raining and cold here for about 2 weeks. So I go out to my truck to mess with a few things and my passenger side door is stuck shut! The mechanism is working (I can see down into the door since my door felts are about gone) but it isn't lett go of the catch. I've already bathed it in WD-40. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:22 AM   #2
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Sounds like it's closing too far. You'll have to jerk it hard to get it to come open. How old are the rubber seals?
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 10:18 PM   #3
Purs
Got Big Block?

Help, Door won't open

The door weatherstrips are just a few months old. The door has always worked perfectly, now nothing, push the button and nothing happens. This has had to happen to someone before.

Oh and I've jerked, yanked, pulled, tugged and cussed alot.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:18 PM   #4
Truckstr

Have you tried lifting up on it as you push the door button and pull on the door.

If that doesn't work, then you're probably going to have to take off the interior door panel and make sure that the pawl on the key lock still works and isn't jammed.

Once the door panel is off (with the window all the way up) reach in and pop the lock out. There is a retaining clip that holds it in - just slide it out and the lock will fall out.

Now check the pawl (the little lever attached to the back of the lock). Make sure that the key still operates it properly. Now reach in and flip the lock up and try to open the door again.

My '72 had this problem occasionally until I finally realigned the door and took the door mechanism out, cleaned it up and lubed it. With the door felt and wiper strip in bad shape, the rain and dirt, etc., get down in there and it just takes a little TLC and it'll last a long time.

'67 short Fleet; my ongoing project.
'66 long Fleet; my original "baby."

Live life or bust trying.
Truckstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 03:40 AM   #5
whitdog72

happend to me once, buddy of mine put his shoulder into it from inside, and must have done it alot harder then i did and the door popped right open, i did the same thing pushed pulled cussed at it non of it worked, i dont know what he did other the gave it a hard hit never had the problem again just that once
whitdog72 is offline   Reply With Quote