The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
chevymotocross

New tasks for the 87

I will soon be catching up to the things needed to be done on this truck I'm getting into some gritty things this time. I'm going to soon be replacing my tailpan, and the rear bed cross member since they are both severely rotted. While the bed is off, I may do a 2.5/4 drop on it, not sure, depends on what my account has left. Otherwise, I will do the drop next summer. I'm also replacing the right rear cab bushing assembly.

I just ordered a bed bolt kit for the truck. When I have some free time, I will remove the old bolts, and install the new ones with anti-seize. I figure this will save me time and headache, when I actually remove the bed. I've been soaking the bolts with pb blaster, I guarantee most will snap, but at least I can tackle those now, and not take time away from the job when i actually remove the bed to replace the tailpan and bed beam. Sound like a good idea?

I've replaced a cab bushing set before, and it required me to do a bit more work since the bolt snapped. Luckily, my floorpan had a rot hole directly above the cab bolt so I was able to remove the rest of it there. Well this rear one that I need to replace is behind the bench seat in a much harder spot. I'm hoping this one won't snap since I don't want to cut open the floor. Any tips to avoid having to remove my carpet, possibly my seat, and cutting a hole?

When the bed is off, I'm going to also remove my leaking passenger side tank, and just leave it out (I have a new driver's tank and can't afford to fill two anyways). I will also strip the frame down and paint it with Zerorust.

Any tips installing the tailpan and bed beam are appreciated. Here are some pics of what I'm dealing with.

chevymotocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:14 AM   #2
chevymotocross

Re: New tasks for the 87

anyone?
chevymotocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:37 PM   #3
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

Lots of spot weld drilling! Make sure that you bolt the rear sill plate to the frame and line it up before welding it to the bed. Attach it with some sheetmetal screws for the trial fit. It's pretty crucial to make sure that everything lines up, as the aftermarket parts aren't perfect.
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
79gmcsierragrande
Manual Transmission Club

Buy one from AZ or CA and have it shipped there. Save you self alot of time and hassle.

If I wanted easy I would just buy a NEW truck!
79gmcsierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote