The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
1970SWB

Another 5-lug conversion question from a newbee

I've been "lurking" on this board for awhile and finally picked up a '70 SWB (2wd) pickup, & now I have some questions, first I want to convert from 6-lug to 5-lug, I have the front suspension from a '73 pickup, and plan on changing all the A-frames (for the rubber suspension bushings) and of course disc brakes, I also have a complete rear axle from a '72 SWB pickup, should I change the entire rear axle or can I just swap axle shafts? Some posts on here are talking about different length axles for different years? Thanks for any insight on this & I'm sure there will be more questions to come.

Last edited by 1970SWB; 08-05-2008 at 10:40 PM.
1970SWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
tumbleweed68

Re: Another 5-lug conversion question from a newbee

I'm doing the same only from a 3/4 ton to half. I have found that the hole front suspension setup will work from truck to truck. Not that you neeed to but just thought that you might want to know that. As far as the rear shaft lengths, If nothing else, take them out and measure. That would be the best way to know for sure. Also, I have been told that the shafts might be worn on the outer bearing. Watch for that too. good luck!!
tumbleweed68 is offline   Reply With Quote