The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2008, 08:21 AM   #1
jec

Inner Fender Installation

Hello Everyone,

Just a quick note for alll those in the middle of a project.

I started installing my new Goodmark Inner Fenders last night. My front sheet metal is totally assembled, aligned, and paint with the exemption of the front inner fenders.

Wished I would have installed inners "loosely" during alignment of doghouse. It is difficult to get all the holes to line-up. Some of the problem may be the repop inner fenders themselves but I know it could have been much easier.

Has anyone got any pictures of the inner there inner fenders installed looking up from the front axle area?

Thanks, in advance.+
jec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:34 AM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Inner Fender Installation

I'm not familiar with term "doghouse" but I'm assuming you're referring to the inner fender wheelwell itself. I've installed a couple of repros before and all of them were difficult to align. I had to enlarge the holes on them.

Also, I removed the whole fender once with the inner wheel well installed and I would suspect it would be easier to install a wheel well with the fender off if you already had a need to remove the fender.

Re: picture. What are you looking for in the pic? Not sure how that would help in the install/alignment. I've got my 68 GMC parked outside but with the tires on it. May be difficult to get a pic for you.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:47 AM   #3
jec

Thanks for the reply.

Really, I just wanted to verify that the inner fender should be under/below the outer fender. This would mean the body clip nuts install on the outer fender. Its been so long ago since I disassembled my truck, I can't remember.

It almost looks as though the inner fender could be installed on top of the outer fender above the top of the tire. This would mean the body clip nuts would install on the inner fender, instead of, the outer.

Thanks.......................
Old 08-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
Botietruck
'71 chevy s.bed/s.side

The clip nuts attach to the outer fender and the inner fender lays on the outside of the fender lip.
I test fitted my new GM inner fenders to my original fenders and I had to enlarge some of the holes. It sure made the assembly of the front end much easier after the test fit.
Botietruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:19 PM   #5
jec

Thanks BowtieTruck.

I will proceed accordingly and, from what I saw last night, probably open up the two (2) vertical holes under/near the hood hinges.

Another side note, the three (3) holes across the front edge (just behind the bumper) are about an inch from touching the core support. I did put new core support bushings and it is sitting up real nice. May install spacers here or just torque'm down and go.

Thanks again..............