The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2008, 10:01 PM   #1
iokua80

Red face S10 swap steering

Does anyone have some pictures of how they did the steering on the s10 swap?? I'm trying to hook up the s10 power steering box and the stock AD steering shaft. Thought I had it but it seems to want to bind up. Any help would be great.
Josh
iokua80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:20 AM   #2
Lrall

Re: S10 swap steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by iokua80 View Post
Does anyone have some pictures of how they did the steering on the s10 swap?? I'm trying to hook up the s10 power steering box and the stock AD steering shaft. Thought I had it but it seems to want to bind up. Any help would be great.
Josh
You wont be able to do it, s10 steering sector has a spline setup and the AD shaft is bolted in or whatever it is. The only way i know of to mate the 2 steering components up is to either cut and weld the AD shaft to the s10 spline shaft or i believe there is a kit to mate them together. Ill do some looking and see what i come up with
lr
Lrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:41 AM   #3
iokua80

Thanks. The first mock up of the steering didn't work. The top universal joint was binding in itself and was not allowing the shaft to turn freely. A buddy and I shortened the support mount for the s10 shaft and shortened the AD shaft. This in turn put everything in more of a straight line. The first couple of full turns went smoothly. Then a weak tack weld broke so not sure if it is going to work. We believe it will. The place where you got your kit sells a kit for the steering. 3 universal joints 2 pieces of shaft and a support bearing for like 360 or so...Kinda steep if we can make this mock up work. Oh well. That's what fabrication is all about.

How's your swap coming? Haven't seen any updates lately

Josh
iokua80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:23 AM   #4
jeffs51chevy

I haven't started on the steering yet, but here is an old post from a guy who has done a few of these swaps.
http://talk.classicparts.com/showthr...highlight=swap
Hope it helps.
jeffs51chevy is offline   Reply With Quote