The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2008, 11:13 PM   #1
Purs
Got Big Block?

Ignition switch

Long story, I've been trying to figure out what the PO has done with the wiring in my '72 Blazer. I finally think I've traced the trouble down to my IGN switch. Both the red and the pink wires are hot all the time. Isn't the pink only supposed to be hot when the key is in the RUN position? As a result, my IGN spades on the fuse panel are hot all the time. Why is this important you ask? Because I need a wire to tap into to run my HEI. Right now, I have it hooked to the IGN spade (which is hot all the time) so I have to use a toggle switch to turn my truck off... Anyway, I've put my test light on all the different spades on the back of the IGN switch and none of them are hot when the key is in the RUN position. The purple wire goes hot (like it should) when the key is in the START position. So does it sound like my IGN switch is bad or should I be checking something else? thanks in advance for the help.
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2008, 02:18 AM   #2
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Re: Ignition switch

Sounds similar to mine. The PO had pulled the wires from the plastic plug and "rewired" it so there would be a hot lead all the time. Then they put in a toogle switch to kill all the power.

Replaced the switch with a new one from NAPA, wired it as it should be and all is working great now.

Do it right and replace the switch. My .02 worth.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
Willys47

when I wired my HEI I pulled the resistive wire that went to the old coil out of the back side of the fuse holder. Then I installed a new wire and ran it to the HEI, it is key on power and worked with out a glitch.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
dakman

I used that pink wire to run my hei on my 72', it should only be hot with the key in the on position. It goes from the ignition to the fuse block and back to the engine bay. I'll look under the dash and check to see that someone hasn't moved the wires within the plug on ya because if I remember correctly there should also be a green.
dakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
dakman

nope.. everything looks proper on yours. Mine has a green but it's just for the temp gauge dummy light test when the key is first turned on. Might be the ignition switch shorted internally or trace the wires back and see if someone has spliced them to another hot somewhere.
dakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #6
Wrenchbender Ret

The use of the term. is usually written on the back of the switch. The red is hot & the pink goes to the ign. The purple goes to the S term on the starter or to a neutral switch.You can buy a pigtail connector with about 2-3 in. of wire .
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote