The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2008, 07:24 AM   #1
Darinc74

6 lug brake questions

I hate to beat a dead horse but I have a couple of questions about the 6 lug front disc brake conversion using stock parts. Actually the horse ain't dead yet, I read all of the posts in the faq's page and they are clear as mud when it comes to the 6 lug convert. One guy says this will work while another says it won't. Anyway, to my question.

If I use a newer 3/4 ton 6 lug brake rotor and spindle, do I have to change my lower control arm to a newer one or will the ball joint fit in my 66 control arm? Do I have to have the 3/4 ton spindle or will a 1/2 ton work? I have found a 74 3/4 ton truck but it has 8 lug rotors, is there a 6 lug rotor that will work on the 74 setup?

It would be very helpful if someone could give a complete detailed list on how to do this conversion with facts and not opinions. When I do my conversion I am going to document it so I can post it for all to see.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:12 PM   #2
kdrodworks316
KOFFIN DRAGGER

Re: 6 lug brake questions

I just played this game, I found it to be the most cost effective to buy CPP 6 lug rotors for a 71 up app. I used my 65 control arms and put 73 up ball joints in them and also had to change to the 73 up steering rack. I looked and looked for 6 lug rotors and came close with a Nissan rotor, they will work but are not quite right.

New updated stuff at www.kdrodworks.com
My site still needs help, web guys and gals pm me.

the best guys in the whole world:
sweet70beast, jonzcustomshop, runninlow, captainfab, and the one I havent met yet, joe231
kdrodworks316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:35 PM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darinc74 View Post
I hate to beat a dead horse but I have a couple of questions about the 6 lug front disc brake conversion using stock parts. Actually the horse ain't dead yet, I read all of the posts in the faq's page and they are clear as mud when it comes to the 6 lug convert. One guy says this will work while another says it won't. Anyway, to my question.

If I use a newer 3/4 ton 6 lug brake rotor and spindle, do I have to change my lower control arm to a newer one or will the ball joint fit in my 66 control arm? Do I have to have the 3/4 ton spindle or will a 1/2 ton work? I have found a 74 3/4 ton truck but it has 8 lug rotors, is there a 6 lug rotor that will work on the 74 setup?

It would be very helpful if someone could give a complete detailed list on how to do this conversion with facts and not opinions. When I do my conversion I am going to document it so I can post it for all to see.
I've started collecting parts for a 6 lug disc brake conversion using the '88 and newer light duty (7200#) 3/4 ton rotors. I too read the FAQ but did some research of my own. The parts needed to do the swap are as follows.

Spindles from any '88-'98 1/2 ton or light 3/4 ton 2wd pickup or suburban. Rotors from a 7200# GVW 3/4ton from '88-'98 (for some reason there is one part # for '88 & '89 and another for '90-'94. There are only minor differences between the two) I bought the one for the '90-'94 which is Raybestos #56915RGS. The ball joints you need to use are the ones for the '88-'98 spindles. The uppers will fit '63-'87 1/2 ton upper a-arms. The lowers will fit '69-'87 3/4 ton lower a-arms. The '69-'72 are prefered because of the shorter bump stop bracket. The newer ones could be easily modified. For steering you will need to use the '88-'98 outter tierod ends and the adjuster sleeves with ES2020 inner tierod ends to mate up with the drag link. The calipers to use are the '88-'98 ones. Other than some minor things and replacement parts like bearings and seals, etc, I think that's about it.

From a cost standpoint on this conversion, it depends on how resourceful you are. For me it is economical since I scored a complete '94 1/2 ton front suspension and frame clip for free, and I have several 3/4 ton a-arms. Then the rest besides the rotors is just normal rebuild parts like bearings, seals, brake pads, etc. I was planning on doing a writeup when I do it as well, but now I don't know when that will be since this is on the back burner for now. I hope this was at least a little helpful.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:19 AM   #4
kdrodworks316
KOFFIN DRAGGER

What a guy, part numbers and everything. you rule Captain

New updated stuff at www.kdrodworks.com
My site still needs help, web guys and gals pm me.

the best guys in the whole world:
sweet70beast, jonzcustomshop, runninlow, captainfab, and the one I havent met yet, joe231
kdrodworks316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:36 AM   #5
Darinc74

Now that's what I've been looking for. Thanks
Old 12-09-2008, 02:34 AM   #6
MickMc

[quote=Captainfab;2848127]I've started collecting parts for a 6 lug disc brake conversion using the '88 and newer light duty (7200#) 3/4 ton rotors. I too read the FAQ but did some research of my own. The parts needed to do the swap are as follows.

Spindles from any '88-'98 1/2 ton or light 3/4 ton 2wd pickup or suburban. Rotors from a 7200# GVW 3/4ton from '88-'98 (for some reason there is one part # for '88 & '89 and another for '90-'94. There are only minor differences between the two) I bought the one for the '90-'94 which is Raybestos #56915RGS. The ball joints you need to use are the ones for the '88-'98 spindles. The uppers will fit '63-'87 1/2 ton upper a-arms. The lowers will fit '69-'87 3/4 ton lower a-arms. The '69-'72 are prefered because of the shorter bump stop bracket. The newer ones could be easily modified. For steering you will need to use the '88-'98 outter tierod ends and the adjuster sleeves with ES2020 inner tierod ends to mate up with the drag link. The calipers to use are the '88-'98 ones. Other than some minor things and replacement parts like bearings and seals, etc, I think that's about it.

I'm have a hard time finding this part number.
Any one have an idea.
CapitanFab?

Mick

Last edited by MickMc; 12-09-2008 at 02:34 AM.
MickMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:43 PM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Sorry about that, my fault I left off the 'L' at the end. The correct part number is: ES2020L

Here's a link....
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...Number=ES2020L
Old 12-10-2008, 12:15 AM   #8
MickMc

thanks

I'm collecting all of the parts this week for my conversion, spindles should be here thursday too.

Mick
Old 12-10-2008, 12:25 AM   #9
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If you have the time post up some pics of the conversion when you do it.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:06 AM   #10
MickMc

I'm going to try and post up pictures of all of the parts, mock up and part numbers, including braided brake lines and fittings. I haven't decided on posting the hydraboost or not because it's not really a total bolt on item.

Mick
Old 12-10-2008, 05:54 AM   #11
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

The 6 lug conversion would be a good write up.

I, personally, would like to see a write up with pics on the hydraboost system. I am interested in this conversion but am not real sure what exactly would need to be done.
TimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:44 AM   #12
MickMc

I haven't taken any pictures of the Hydra boost setup.

I'll start taking pictures this weekend and when everything works I'll post up information.
Lots of variables in the Hydra boost system. Proportioning valve, master cylinder, and the pressure and return lines. I'll work it out.

Mick
Old 12-10-2008, 02:36 PM   #13
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Yeah anything you post would be great. I'd like to do this same project some day.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #14
dean29

The part# for the replacement tierod is ES2020RL
dean29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:30 AM   #15
Frizzle Fry

I've had a complete 69 3/4 ton front clip waiting around to do this (along with a pancaked crossmember). Continuing with the parts gathering I scored a set of 88-98 Beltech drop spindles with rotors and calipers off craigslist this past Wed for $120. I want to keep my 15x8 steelies so I'll have to pick up some six lug rotors.

Was wondering if anyone can confirm that 15" steelies fit over the 88-98 brakes? Need to know before I drop more $$$ on rotors.
Posted via Mobile Device
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:10 PM   #16
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

As long as they are disc brake compatable wheels they will fit. However on the 15 x 8 Ralley wheels you might want to grind just a little on the 2 most outboard points of the calipers. It is the machined part that slides in the spindle. They come very close to where the center is welded into the hoop.