The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
Anthony Fremont

Need some steering column shifter repair advice

My steering works fine, no squeaks in the column and it turns around smooth as silk. OTOH, the column shifter (powerglide) won't budge. It's not the tranny or linkage, that all works fine when you unclamp the linkage rod. It's something in the column keeping it from moving. It's like it is rusted solid in place, no play or movement at all of the lever or the linkage arm at the other end. I've got to fix this to get it inspected, and I don't want to install a floor shifter.

It's currently stuck in "D", not that it matters since the safety switch is bypassed and backup lights are the least of my worries. Any ideas how I should attack this problem? It's a pain opening the hood when you need to change directions.
'97 1200C Sportster
Anthony Fremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
Anthony Fremont

Re: Need some steering column shifter repair advice

ttt Nobody ever disassembled a steering column? I'm wondering if I can somehow fix it without removing the horn button and steering wheel...maybe take it apart from the bottom end. I'm not opposed to taking the whole column out if necessary.
'97 1200C Sportster
Old 08-13-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
joe231

you are going to have to pull the wheel to disassemble the column.
i don't know what specifically is causing your trouble.....but tearing it apart shouldn't be hard, just pay close attention to the details so it will go back together easily.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
Shane
Account Suspended

you'll need a steering wheel puller and a catalog from LMC for the exploded views ... can't be much to it as there isn't 'much inside a column.

Good Luck.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:44 PM   #5
Anthony Fremont

Finally got the wheel loose today, man it didn't want to come off. I thought I was going to break the puller bolts, but it finally gave up. It was getting dark, so I'll be on it in the morning. I've got the assembly manual, but it isn't real clear. You're right though, there can't be much inside especially for an automatic.
'97 1200C Sportster
Old 08-24-2008, 03:36 AM   #6
SCOTI

Most of the time, these old columns just need a good cleaning & some updated lubrication to get them to work properly.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:13 AM   #7
tommys69/454
1969 short box

just did mine three days ago! piece of cake, I did replace the turn signal switch and bearing , while I was in there. Previous poster was right, they really nasty in there some how, could not believe the cake and fuzz in there.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:27 AM   #8
Anthony Fremont

Thanks guys, that's encouraging. I was surprised at the surface rust on the horn button parts, so at least that should work allot better after I clean it up and get it back together. The turn signal switch is working fine, but I should probably change it while I'm at it. Thanks again, I'll post the outcome later.
'97 1200C Sportster
Old 08-24-2008, 11:59 AM   #9
Anthony Fremont

Got it apart enough to figure out how it works. Found some plastic "arms" laying inside, I'm guessing those are the self cancelers. Does a replacement switch come with the harness and connectors? Pretty nasty inside, I'll clean it all out. I got the shifter to go "up and down", but it still won't budge as far as turning the shift tube. I'm thinking it's simply stuck from the old grease and dirt since the up and down movement is working so poorly too.

Sigh.... now I have to repaint the sleeve that hides the wiring, polish the gear indicator lens, repaint the selector marker, replace the backlight bulb with an LED........ You know.
'97 1200C Sportster
Old 08-25-2008, 09:55 AM   #10
Anthony Fremont

Update: The up and down isn't working either, it was my stupidity. The shifter shaft is really stuck in place. I sprayed a bunch more PB Blaster down the inside, but it still hasn't budged. Can someone post a picture of what it should look like under the hood? I believe that my shift tube is already way down (like when you pull on the lever). I say this because the detent plate thingy is well away from the tang that would engage it as you rotate the shift lever thru the gears. I tried pounding on it under the hood and it won't budge. I'm afraid to hit it as hard as I can, but maybe that's what I need to do?

'97 1200C Sportster
Old 08-25-2008, 10:17 AM   #11
SCOTI

Try disconnecting the shift rod from both the lower column lever & @ the trans coupler under the truck. Make sure the trans shift coupler still moves back & forth through all the gears.

If that works, connect the shift rod back onto the trans shift coupler. Grab the rod from the engine compartment end & try 'shifting' through the gears again.

If that works, put the trans in park. Put the column shifter in park. Put the shift rod up against the pivot lever (where it connects @ the bottom of the column) & mark where the two intersect. Re-connect the rod & adjust it so that the mark you made on the rod is where the lever is connected/tightened.

See where you are after that.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 08-25-2008, 11:56 AM   #12
Anthony Fremont

The linkage rod and shifting all work fine with the transmission. With the rod unclamped I can put it thru the gears fine, but the column part is frozen solid. See how the arm that moves the rod is stuck away from the detent plate, it just won't budge. It won't rotate nor will it move up/down. The problem is definitely inside the column somewhere.
'97 1200C Sportster
Old 08-27-2008, 08:24 PM   #13
tommys69/454
1969 short box

i am kind of new but there is a exstention that goes in to a lock at the end of the shifter. this is why you have to pull the shifter toward you then in to gear, is this exstention still there and working? see at end of shifter lever hope this helps
Attached Images

Last edited by tommys69/454; 08-27-2008 at 08:53 PM. Reason: added pic for reference
tommys69/454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:49 PM   #14
soba_03

Anthony,

What is the outcome of this? THIS IS EXACTALLY the same problem I'm having.. I'm changeing out the column because I can't have mine down while I fix it. I will probally rebuild my old column once it's out and put it up on the board. Just wondering what you found. The problem you have discribed is the exact same thing that mine is doing. Seems like spring pressure is not enough to over come th gunk in the column shaft and push the shift rod back up inot the detents where it belongs.
soba_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:12 AM   #15
Anthony Fremont

That's basically it, it was aparently stuck from the lubrication drying out. I ended up pulling the wheel. I'm not sure that was really necessary, but I was able to spray PB blaster down the shaft which might have helped some. I had to beat on the lower end using a hammer and drift to get it to start rotating. I also had to beat it back towards the detents. After that, it freed up nicely. I can now shift gears from inside the cab, I'm happy but what a PITA.
'97 1200C Sportster
Old 10-12-2008, 12:58 PM   #16
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Fremont View Post
That's basically it, it was aparently stuck from the lubrication drying out..... After that, it freed up nicely.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG