The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2002, 08:22 PM   #1
Truckstr

Column Shifter Linkage Woes

Hey all, I know that this is a common problem with our old trucks (if so equipped), but I wanted to get some input anyway.

A friend bought a beautiful 1971 Chevy C10 LWB, 307, 3 on-the-tree. It's really a nice truck and - even though I know that the best long term solution is probably to go with a floor shifter - I'd hate to see it cut up. Besides, he likes the column shifter (there was bound to be one guy out there that likes the things).

I did a search on the site here and came up with "replace the bushings". It sounds reasonable, as they seem worn, but does replacing the bushings at the column in the engine compartment really do the trick? If so, then who sells 'em? LMC truck sells the shifter tube assy. and the bearings, but I didn't see the bushings. Anywhere else, or do I improvise with "hard nylon bushings cut to fit with a dremel tool?

I've driven his truck and it didn't jam on me, but who knows when it'll happen again?

Thanks,
Jeff

'67 short Fleet; my ongoing project.
'66 long Fleet; my original "baby."

Live life or bust trying.
Truckstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 08:39 PM   #2
Michael A. K. G

I have a 3-on-the-tree, and I kinda like it, too. It's distinctive.

I think the bushings in question are on the external linkage (at both ends), not inside the steering column. And LMC does sell those. So does the GMC dealer, I believe.

If someone has used improper connectors (I've seen poorly bent cotter pins, and even a finish nail!) on the linkage, or has left out one or more of the washers, that could bind, too.

Make sure the linkage is properly adjusted, too. Some years (like my '72) have the adjusters on the end of the steering column, and some have them at the transmission.

Last edited by Michael A. K. G; 11-14-2002 at 08:41 PM.
Michael A. K. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 08:47 PM   #3
Truckstr

Thanks, Michael. I didn't know that GMC still sold the bushings. I looked in the latest LMC catalog and didn't see 'em, but I'm half blind most of the time anyway.

Yeah, I just said that about the 3 on-the-tree. I have it in my '66 and wouldn't change it from original for anything (I grew up with it in that same truck and even learned how to drive with it ). I do, however, prefer floor shifting.

There's a few out there - maybe more. Maybe you're just not as vocal .

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 11-14-2002, 10:51 PM   #4
MOTHERTRUCKERS

Your local chevy dealer should have them, if not we have 3-spd bushings. e-mail me if you need the G.M. part#. Some dealers will tell you their parts books don't go back that far.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:26 PM   #5
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

I had a '77 that was on the column and would occasionally jam up coming out of 3rd at a light. (real nice of it huh?) With that one, the problem was all in the steering column. I would have to pop the hood and move a few levers around on the column that would pop out. (I have no idea on what/how/why it did this) All I know is it was better than driving around in 3rd all the time. LOL

BTW, I think 3 on the tree's are neato too. But hey, I like points, powerglides and drum brakes too! (Im hopelessly old school)

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 12:37 PM   #6
Truckstr

He called me this morning and told me that when he was on his way home yesterday that it locked up in neutral. It wouldn't go in any gear!

A guy stopped and helped him (my buddy is hopelessly un-mechanically inclined) get it "unstuck".

When I checked it yesterday, before I drove it, it seemed that the rods were fairly loose in the lever holes at the column (in the engine compartment). The holes in the levers may be worn oversize. I'm going to install new bushings in it for him as soon as I can track them down. If that doesn't do the trick then I'll see what else I need to do.

Thanks, everybody!