The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
iamthepd

rear glass replacement

hey..I own a 77 gmc 1/2 ton pickup and i just want to know how to swap out the rear glass split window and put a new one back in...ive heard it is pretty easy i just cant find any info on how to do it....thanks
iamthepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: rear glass replacement

It is really not that hard, but it does take two people.
Most of the success factor revolves around the rubber gasket. If yours is in bad shape, cracked, hard as a rock, etc. Do yourself a big favor and get a new one before you start.

If yours is ok:
Remove the old glass from the inside. Pull back the edge of the rubber and push the glass toward the outside. Have your helper in the bed. He may be able to help pull after you get it out part-way, but he is mostly there to catch it when it comes out. As you pull the rubber back and push the glass out, you just need to keep peeling at it. The farther you get it out, the easier it gets. There should not be any kind of sealer/goop in the flange. It is just a "trapped" fit.
If there is something in there.....stop. Get a new seal before you go any more. You will not be able to get it back in with caulk/sealer in the gasket.
If it is gooped-up...cut the old one out with a razor knife and save the aggravation. Then clean-up the metal flange of the cab, before you start to put the new one back in.
If you don't have any problem, or you are starting with a new gasket. It goes together just as easy as it came out.
Stretch the gasket around the new glass, paying attention to which side goes to the inside. Then you need a length of heavy twine that is about 2 feet longer than the distance around the rubber gasket and some dish washing liquid.
Starting in the middle of the bottom, push the twine into the groove and wrap it all of the way around the window. You can wet the gasket with some of the dish washing soap as you go, down in the groove with the twine. Then wipe some onto the flange itself, on the side of the rubber that goes to the inside.
Have your helper hold the glass/rubber up to the back of the cab, put the loose ends of the twine inside the window opening. Tilt the top of the window out slightly, so that the bottom of the window is resting on the flange/opening. Your helper should be balancing the glass and holding it in place.....not pushing very hard. You will "pull" it into place.
After it is sitting in the opening, Pull upward on one of the ends of the twine. This will lift the flange of the gasket, it will go easily at this point, be careful. When you get to the corner, it will get a bit harder to pull. After you go around the corner a few inches, let that end of the twine go and do the same on the other end. Once you have both ends pulled around the bottom corners, have your helper smack the glass from the outside, nothing crazy, just and open handed slap. You should see it move in some. Then go back to the twine, either end, you are just pulling them until they "meet". Eventually you will be able to pull both ends at once. Some more slaps from the outside and you are done....maybe some soap clean-up?
It really is not that hard. It can be done in the time it takes to type it out......LOL
Just do yourself a favor, don't even start with a bad gasket.

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 08-17-2008 at 04:17 PM.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Longhair has said all there is he is 100% in his description of the job ive done it his way a few times without any problem

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:49 PM   #4
ca180
tryin to get laid

Wow, that was an excellent description! I'm gonna need those directions soon, you are the man!
ca180 is offline   Reply With Quote