The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
ChadBice

Question Bucket Seat Selection Help!

I have a 71 SWB with no seats. It had a bench, but that is long gone. I wanted to put in buckets. I went to a local junk yard today and found 2 sets of bucket seats. One is out of a 72 GMC truck and the other is out of a 68 Chevy Panel. Neither is in usable condition, but they are complete. The panel seats fold forward but the truck seats do not. I know that what ever one I select, I'll have to get them recovered and probably have to have new foam. What that being said, the guy wants $70 for a pair. Is that a fair price knowing that esentially, all I'm buying are the seat frames, mounting hardware, etc.? Also, neither of the sets have a console. Is that something that can be added or are the seats for use with a console different. I really wanted the buckets that have the center "extra" seat, but there were none of those to be had. Are they rare? Thanks to anyone who can decipher my rambling post and help me with my question!
Old 08-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
Luvlegs

Re: Bucket Seat Selection Help!

do a search in the parts section for "console" and "bucket" or "buckets" - should give you a good idea of what's out there and what they've been going for. I'll take a stab at if from this stand point - figure the 70 for a set, 300 lets say for the foam and 400 to have them covered, you're at the price some of them go for already done (give or take without the cost of shipping of course) - Then again, you could get a deal on the foam and covers and make out quite well for your time invested. As for the Buddy buckets, I think they are perhaps a bit more difficult to find but the same costs above are probably close. I also think the same kind of seats could be found in dodges of the same era...

I'm sure others with more knowledge will chime in.. I just like to see how edumacated I've become since being on this site...

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

The seats in the Panel are the utility buckets.The ones in the 72 will be more comfortable and probably have better support as far as parts go.(Larger choice of colors etc.)The passenger seat in the panel will have a feature where the back tilts forward,then the base should have a pin that pulls so it can tumble forward.This was to allow longer items to be hauled.
You will want to strenghten the mounting points for buckkets no matter which seats you go with.The buckets with the center seats are called "Buddy Buckets" and usually bring good money.I hqave seen frames and springs for them fetch $600.00.
There are also tons of posts on later model seats in these trucks.You may want to look into them if you're not looking to do a stock restore.
The above comments is if the seats you have found are the originals.(the trucks are 40 years old)
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
eseaton

the bucket seats from the 88-98 trucks work wonderfully that is what im putting in my truck.

eseaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
PT'S 70 CST
"GO DAWGS"

I have a set of 69-70 completly restored with the best covers you can buy (PUI). They are black and I also have a show quality restored black console to go with the seats. This is a show quality set up. I am thinking about getting rid of them but have not made up my mind yet. Just to let you know the good foams (American cushion) for two seats will run around 425-475 for both seats and the PUI covers are around 250. You looking at 650 to 700 before you have someone cover them and that is going with the good stuff.

PT
94 SILVERADO SWB 5/7 drop
2000 Silverado swb
2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 (Surprisingly very fast)
2004 GMC Yukon XL Denali
BATESBURG, SC. 29006
Some of my restorations
http://www.snapfish.com/snapfish/thu...NAME=snapfish/
Restored Tach tins 8 cyl - 6 cyl
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=518185
Contact info(Not my paypal address) DAWGSFAN227@YAHOO.COM

God Bless Our Troops

Last edited by PT'S 70 CST; 08-27-2008 at 05:48 PM.
PT'S 70 CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:58 PM   #6
70cst

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...mZ130249336601

ChadBice....Seek, Knock, and Ask...Here is your Buddy Bucket for sale on ebay at this very moment. Again this board is at your service.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Not as good stuff won`t save you much,either.$70 a pair is a great price actually.The fixed brackets on the truck passenger buckets or a set of utility or bucket seat mounting brackets is worth that,at least.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:33 AM   #8
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Here are a couple sets for sale here in Stumptown. The foams looks really good on these- so you're probably starin' down the barrel of another 3-4 Benjies for new covers. Not cheap, but in the realm of cool- buddy buckets are definately near the "Sub-Zero" end of the spectrum.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/813953704.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/813082327.html
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
70cst

So what decision did you make?

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

Old 08-28-2008, 10:05 PM   #10
ChadBice

Bucket Seat Selection Help!

Somehow, after reading the replies, I was even more confused! I decided I'm going to go to the junk yard tomorrow and buy both pairs of seats. Then I can decide what ones I want and sell or trade the other ones. Thanks for the link to the buddy seat. I'm have it on my watch list. I'm also going to look at newer Yukon console/buddy seat combos to see if they will fit between the seats and look like it belongs. That's important.

The willingness of everyone on the board to let their advice and experience is great. This is my first attempt at customizing or restoring a truck and I'm both excited and nervous about the process. I'm sure the selecting the seats is the least of my worries, at this point.

Here's a picture of my project. Don't laugh too loud. I paid $300 for it minus engine/trans, steering column, seats and heater. I want to swap the stepside box for a fleetside box along with 100 other things.
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2008, 11:45 PM   #11
KMACD71

$300.00 is a steal,nothing to laugh at.Good luck with the project.Lots of info here,great help.
KMACD71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:55 PM   #12
70cst

That was a very good deal for $300. This board is well worth the $25 we pay--the info is priceless. Good Luck with your project. You have a very good foundation to start with.