The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
Zilverado
Account Suspended

AC Compressor Noise

Ok - next question...

Just recently my AC compressor has become quite noisy. Not having the benefit of sound, I would describe it as a continuous chatter. The noise is obviously rotational - increasing in speed, not necessarily volume, with increased RPM.

Compressor still cools great, and all else seems OK.

Question 1:
Does this sound like an internal compressor issue, or clutch, or what?

Question 2:
Is it repairable, or do I replace the compressor?

And finally, just in case some of you "purists" are thinking it - - I WILL NOT be removing the AC system...

Thanks.

Last edited by Zilverado; 08-28-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
Richard D

Re: AC Compressor Noise

My A/C compressor is a week old and is making a similar noise occasionaly at idle. Oh, and purist or not, A/C has been availible on our trucks from the begining. Why sweat?
Richard D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D View Post
...Oh, and purist or not, A/C has been availible on our trucks from the begining. Why sweat?
I agree, and I live in an area of the continent where we only use the AC for 4 months out of hte year.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
swb85
On a budget like Fred Sanford

Mine makes a pretty audible ticking sound at lower rpm.....still blows cold though. Probably run it till it pukes & put on another cheapie reman.

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get a set of gauges on there and see what your pressures are.

Last edited by swb85; 08-28-2008 at 05:23 PM.
swb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Does it sound like a stuck lifter?

I just dumped a grand into my system at the beginning of the summer to get it up and running again. That included a new compressor. I was thinking about taking it back to the shop to see if it was normal.
JCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:06 PM   #6
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

My A/C just went south this week, right before my annual Labor Day trip to the Colorado River. My mechanic said $1600.00! Now my wife is trying to get me to haul my pride and joy to the local junkyard and buy a new Silverado. Women.....
78 Big10 454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:46 PM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

usually if a bearing in the compressor goes so wil the compressor..the clutch will make a racket and can be replaced cheaply.. the last one i bought was $50 but that was a couple of years ago for an old caravan.... usually if you get one of the cheap stethescopes in harbor freight, you can pin down where the noise is coming from if you put the probe on different parts of the compressor while its running

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:44 AM   #8
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Thanks for the thoughts - it gives me some things to check. I've also done some "googling" of AC issues and have some leads to chase down. But I do have another question...

I assume the clutch could be replaced without disconnecting AC lines?
Old 08-29-2008, 08:52 AM   #9
75sierraclassic

Mine sounds like an angry badger, GRRRRRRR. It has been like that for about a year now. I think the front seal is bad since it slings oil from the clutch all over the engine bay. I assume it will bite the dust soon and I'll replace it with a reman.
75sierraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:24 AM   #10
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

sounds like the bearing.....

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:28 PM   #11
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

The clutch can be replaced without cracking the system open, assuming you have the radial (R4) compressor like I have. For the older style, I don't know. Removing the R4 requires a special tool that auto parts stores around here rent/loan out.

If you have to get one, make sure you compare the price of a remanufactured compressor with clutch to the cost of a remanufactured clutch alone. Around here, the price difference when I biought mine was only about $10, so for core charge + $10, I got a remanufactured compressor to put up on the shelf.

People I have talked to around here say that the typical parts store remanufactured compressor is a piece of junk, typically good for one summer of use. My neighbor replaced his every spring for several years in a row before he traded it in.

The last time mine went out, I replaced it with a new Delphi unit that was between $200 and $300. This is its 5th summer, and it is still working fine. Buyingit hurt at the time, but it was worth the extra cost.

All of the 80s trucks with the radial compressor make a groaning noise, AFAIK. There is a TSB available for a fix that involves a clutch replacement. I have a PDF of the document somewhere if anyone would like to see it.

Slonaker
Old 09-02-2008, 12:19 AM   #12
Richard D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker View Post
All of the 80s trucks with the radial compressor make a groaning noise, AFAIK. There is a TSB available for a fix that involves a clutch replacement. I have a PDF of the document somewhere if anyone would like to see it.

Slonaker
Yes please.
Richard D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:15 PM   #13
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D View Post
Yes please.
http://slonaker.net/images/truck/ac_tsb/

The PDFs are in this folder. I'll leave them up for a few days so that anyone who wants them can get them.

Slonaker