The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2002, 03:05 AM   #1
Dropt72Shortbed

WILL THESE FIT, backspacing for new rims

ive found a killer deal locally on a set of billet 18s

front are 8" with 5.25" bs rears are 9.5 with 5.75"bs

i have a fleetside 72 with the stock 3.73 posi 12 bolt.

i think this backspacing is for the 88-98 trucks, will it fit on my 72? ive the backspacings only off like .25 i can run small spacers
Dropt72Shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 08:41 AM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Backspace on stock wheels for 88-98's is 4.25 inches. Because of the width of the wheels you cited, they seem to have a bit more.

I lowered my '69 with Early Classic Enterprises components. It had been running a set of 15x8's, but I never checked the back space (offset). When I did the lowering and converted to discs on front, I had to go to a 15x7 wheel to keep them from sticking outside the front fender line....discs added to the front track.

Based on my experience, you MAY see that these do the same, but I do not really know.

We lowered my sons' 96 GMC using DJM spindles and had to go to a wheel with no more than 3.5 inches of back space. He had a set of 15x8's on it that had the stock back spacing. It sat in the garage for about a week while we waited on two matching wheels from California. The lower control arms would contact the back of the wheel and prevented it from being driven EXCEPT in a straight line.

However, the diameter of the wheels you cited will not present that problem, because they are large enough to clear the A-arms.
All you need to watch is that they clear the wheel openings when you bottom out the suspension, or at least that is what I think.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 11:39 AM   #3
turmoline

I am running 8 @ front with a 4.5" backspacing and 9.5 @ back with a 5.25 backspacing. The back wheels you are wanting to run should work because there is a lot of room towards the inside of the wheel, but your dish won't be that deep. I assume you're tucking the wheel. Not sure about the fronts, mine sit @ 2" from the frame rail when turned all the way to the left or right. Iam also running mustang II suspension and don't have the shock interfering. plus my overall tracking width is narrower than stock. slammed67 would know about the fronts. What tires are you planning on running?
turmoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 12:29 PM   #4
brad2

I have 20x8 with 4.5 bs on the front and I think the fit is pretty good. The back is a 20x10 with 5 bs but it really isn't enough on my Jimmy to tuck some tire. I don't know if there would be a difference on the back between a truck and a jimmy.
brad2 is offline   Reply With Quote