The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2002, 09:19 PM   #1
bigd65

Crane advance canister

Well Mike i finally ordered it (32.78) im sure im gonna have more questions when it comes in but we'll deal with that when it comes
Old 11-16-2002, 09:25 PM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

No problem Jeff. I'll be here to help. Glad you finally listened to me.

Remind me, do you still have the stock ESC distributor?

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 09:49 PM   #3
bigd65

NOPE, no ESC, i dumped that along time ago. this dist. come from a 79 350. there is no play in it and i have changed EVERYTHING inside. module (msd), pick-up , coil (hypertech).

would this 54,000 volt coil have anything to do with this excessive clatter problem i am having.
Old 11-16-2002, 10:52 PM   #4
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

No. More voltage the merrier. You have some good wires, right? Have you checked them in the dark to see if they are like lightening bolts or not? This is a real good sign they are shot. If you see the sparks flying, toss them and get a good set. I love my MSD wires.

Sounds like you have a very good start on it. Nothing like a properly tuned distributor. Of course a properly tuned carb will help it. If your carb is too lean, it will also contribute to spark knock.

For best performance and decent mileage, there is more to do besides slapping on a carb and a new distributor and go. After you are satisfied with the mechanical part of a engine, there is a lot more power to be made with tinkering. It is time consuming and sometimes a PITA, but the end product will put smiles on your face.

Personally, I love the tinkering part. A lot of little things make one big thing when added together.

When you get your canister, check the link I gave you and let me know. It's really all pretty simple once you get in to it. You do have a timing light, right? Is it a dial back light? What about timing tape if no dial back light? It's real nice to know exactly what the distributor is doing and not have to guess at it. Sears sells a decent dial back light for not a ton of money. I use one and love it.

Mike
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 10:38 AM   #5
bigd65

Mike i have the same MSD wires you have.

i agree i love the tinkering also but just when i think it is perfect, it aint. what made me think of this canister again was the fact where eveything is set now, as long as im sticking my foot in it, it runs great. spins tires through secong gear and i even dont have the clatter at wide open throttle. but when i just drive normal it sucks. it has the little off idle vibration and the shimmy at about 40 50 mph. i know this has to be in the timing ( way to retarded the way it is set ) because it didnt do all the shimmy and vibration before i set it this way. the only reason it runs as well as it does now is because i have the two medium advance springs and with the initial being set way retarded (TDC) and the factory advance canister give waaay to much advance, i have it set on the manifold vacuum and i think that it covers up the TDC timing, except at cruise, where it cruises with the retarded timing and causes al this DISMAY (how do you like that word). i will let you know when i get the other canister in and set. i sure hope this works cause im tired of messing with the timing, and ready to get on with better and funner things