The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

65 Hoods merging?

I have two hoods and the first hood that is currently on my truck which well needs some attention.

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/p...e/IMG00143.jpg

If you look you can see the openings are well rotted out. I have access to a second hood and the openings are nearly perfect and so is the bracket behind it that supports it. My question is how hard is it to pull that area off one hood and place on another? I ask because the second hood has alot of rot everywhere else and it looks like somebody dropped a bowling ball or two on it near the cowl. Is the seem behind simply spot welded?

Or is there a patch panel you can buy?

Heres a URL to the second hood. Surprisingly enough when I took this there was no hood damage and now there is, which really makes me mad. However there is a lot of rust so maybe its a good thing huh?
http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/2795/img00120rh5.jpg

Last edited by kizer; 09-03-2008 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Pictures where to large hosted remotely
kizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: 65 Hoods merging?

they are spot welded, however it looks like it would be pretty tough to get at them.
I think there is a patch for it, but I can't remember if it is the uper hood area, or the lower.

you could always cut both hoods, and just weld up the seam.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Just do some small welds and grind it all smooth and pretty.

I just don't want to really screw it up because the hood and the grill is what sold me on these partiular years.

I know there is a patch for the area that closest to the firewall at the lowest point of the hood where the spring sits. Of course the spot where you would wack your head if your trying to look under the hood

Last edited by kizer; 09-03-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

this shot kind of gives you an internal view, I would say he is a little worse off than you
upon looking at the front of your hood, I would think about just patching the small area tat needs the rust repair instead of changing the whole panel, because the other hood looks like it is lunched as well!

I don't know how it is in your area, but if you wait around, and keep checking craigslist, you might just find a good hood, or a whole truck cheap with a good hood.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2008, 04:27 PM   #5
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Yeah mines not that bad, hahahaha, but its needs some attention. I find hoods, but they all seem to have one thing in common. Front is rotted out or the rear corners are rotted out and they all appear to be 90-120miles away.

So I'm patient and I'll just tackle other things. Lord knows I have enough to take a apart and put back together.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:15 PM   #6
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

yeah I have been waiting paitently for a good 65 gmc hood for my chevy! I found one the other day,even the right color, just 6 hours away- in the days of $1 fuel it would have been nbd,but now .... I just wait.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:46 PM   #7
mbgmike

You can remove the lower front panel. Like stated above it it not an easy job. You have to remove the inner front brace as well. drilling out all the spot welds is not easy. If you have alot of patience and cutters it can be done. You will burn alot of them up.$$ The upper hood section is the only panel being repopped right now. It seems to me if you had three hoods it would be less time. I would cut the needed pieces close as possible to the joint and grind them down or drill them out after its removed. We do all kinds of crazy time consuming things and look back and say "man were we nuts" to do that. Hoods are still out there and I would still try and find one
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #8
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Yeah I think I might rescue the other hood that might be my donor and do what I can to save my existing hood. When I get the guts/time to tackle it I might try and split and marry the two hoods.

Otherwise its off to the rest of the body. Maybe like mentioned above I might get lucky and find a 3rd hood that might solve all my problems.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #9
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Unfortunately, I have to do the same thing. I hope by the time I get to it there will be more patches available. The inner bracing is good on one and the sheetmetal is good on the other. I've already got one of the front braces out. I've put that part of my build on hold until I have to have a hood. Maybe by then I will have a better option. I've got all of the tools to do the job and it took under an hour to get the front reinforcement out without destroying everything. Good luck
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #10
nhtc33d

Smile Re: 65 Hoods merging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
this shot kind of gives you an internal view, I would say he is a little worse off than you
upon looking at the front of your hood, I would think about just patching the small area tat needs the rust repair instead of changing the whole panel, because the other hood looks like it is lunched as well!

I don't know how it is in your area, but if you wait around, and keep checking craigslist, you might just find a good hood, or a whole truck cheap with a good hood.
Not to jack he thread but.... Is that visor on that truck a aftermarket item?
nhtc33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:02 AM   #11
kdrodworks316
KOFFIN DRAGGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhtc33d View Post
Not to jack he thread but.... Is that visor on that truck a aftermarket item?
Hillbilly aftermarket.... I am going to be building some visors like this, just alot nicer. sorry to highjack, but I have 2 good hoods, just come and get them.

New updated stuff at www.kdrodworks.com
My site still needs help, web guys and gals pm me.

the best guys in the whole world:
sweet70beast, jonzcustomshop, runninlow, captainfab, and the one I havent met yet, joe231

Last edited by kdrodworks316; 09-06-2008 at 01:03 AM.
kdrodworks316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:42 AM   #12
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Believe me if I thought my truck would make it or if I had another way to come grab a hood I'd be on my way. Sadly I just got the truck and its a little quirky.