The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Aux fuel tank LH side or RH?

I am in the process of ordering a sending unit to convert the truck to an in-tank fuel pump and cannot remember which side is considered the Auxiliary tank. If memory serves me right, the Aux tank is the driver side but not certain. I want to make sure I order the sending unit for the RH (Passengers side).

All the part numbers state Aux or non-aux….you would think a simple LH or RH description would be used in the parts catalogs

Thanks!
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Aux fuel tank LH side or RH?

my 86 was a single tank and it was on the leftt side tank hope that helps

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

now to add to the confusion....lol My 77 with a single tank had it on the passenger side.

Last edited by 78 Chevyrado; 09-03-2008 at 07:44 PM.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
ChaseDale3and8

I believe the 73-78 aux was on the left. When the primary tank was changed to left in 79, aux was on the right. ...Joe
Old 09-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #5
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

Didn't some older vehicles have an indicator on the fuel gauge showing the location of the tank so you'd know which side to pull up to if you forgot which side it was on??

My '87 had 2 tanks, the switch says LH and RH. Switch still works but only one tank in it now... LH. Reason I know is, I recently hit the switch by accident and then engine died a short while later and wouldn't start.. I felt pretty stupid an hour later when I finally figured it out.
87Lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Lowrider View Post
. Switch still works but only one tank in it now... LH. Reason I know is, I recently hit the switch by accident and then engine died a short while later and wouldn't start.. I felt pretty stupid an hour later when I finally figured it out.
funny i dont feel so stupid now that ive heard your story and done the same thing!

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:05 PM   #7
Albatrossian
Georgia Boy

My 81 GMC 2wd has one tank and it's on the drivers(left) side..
Albatrossian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:59 PM   #8
DirtyLarry

Thanks guys….That is what I thought….When I was thinking about trucks I played with in the past it seemed as if I had seen single tanks located on either side on different trucks before. I was starting to think I was crazy.

I am changing to a 1987 fuel tank in order to use an EFI sending unit for use with a in-tank fuel pump to rid this thing of the POS frame mounted electric pump that overheated and left me stranded a few times last weekend when cruising the trails in the high country.

So, it looks like the RH would be the Aux side for 1987?? (figures...the Aux sending unit is $20 more than the other). The EFI sending units are different from side to side on the square bodies so I want to make sure I order the right one for the RH side. The LH tank will remain 1978 pieces but run a transfer pump to feed the RH tank as the fuel tank switch valve will not work with the fuel system on this Vortec 8100. The Polluk switch valve is too restrictive on the return line side causing the fuel pressure to constantly run around 100 psi, which is way too much pressure even for this hog.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #9
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

I'm 44 yrs old and the only thing I know about Pueblo is one of it's zipcodes. 81009. I remember that from some public service announcement when I was a kid... funny how some things stick with you!!

Good luck with with sending unit.

Kenny
87Lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:09 PM   #10
DirtyLarry

Yeah, I never heard that until I moved to Detroit and heard that same announcement playing in the grocery store. It was for the government book store. The interesting thing is we don’t have it here and never did! As I understand it, Pueblo nothing more than a post office box to send your requests to while all the actual government books were sent from the Norman, OK offices. I guess they figured if anybody had a beef with the government they could go to Pueblo and tear the place up since nobody was actually there.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:13 AM   #11
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
Thanks guys….That is what I thought….

So, it looks like the RH would be the Aux side for 1987??
Like the other single tank owners said, the 1983 schematic identifies the production tank as on the left side and the auxiliary tank as on the right side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
Yeah, I never heard that until I moved to Detroit and heard that same announcement playing in the grocery store. It was for the government book store. The interesting thing is we don’t have it here and never did! As I understand it, Pueblo nothing more than a post office box to send your requests to while all the actual government books were sent from the Norman, OK offices. I guess they figured if anybody had a beef with the government they could go to Pueblo and tear the place up since nobody was actually there.
Now that you guys mention it, I also remember seeing the commercial on the tube. But, Pueblo actually did have one of the government book stores located downtown in the Wells Fargo Building on 8th street. They were in business for around 30 years before closing a few years ago. BTW, Pueblo has a very interesting history. Among other things, Pueblo was once considered to become the capital of Colorado. And, they have the highest number of Medal of Honors per capita than anywhere else in the country. A lot of other interesting stories of some of the 'activities' that went down in the past generation (in the 'old' days). But, I digress ...

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #12
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

The standard side of a 73-78 is the passenger side.
The standard side of a 79-87 is the drivers side.

BTW, I found my valve Larry and it is 65PSI....
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:37 PM   #13
72gmcworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captkaos View Post
The standard side of a 73-78 is the passenger side.
The standard side of a 79-87 is the drivers side.

BTW, I found my valve Larry and it is 65PSI....
Not exactly
My '79 and '80 are both single passenger side fuel tanks from the factory
'94 Dodge Cummins 2500
'02 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab Long Box 4x4 gasser
72gmcworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:35 PM   #14
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

As Far as US trucks goes this is pretty much true. There were trucks that were equipped with leftover passenger side fills just like all their other GM transitions.

I know nothing about Canadian Truck changes.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote