The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
1969stepside

anyone ever heard this?????

anyone ever heard this that trucks are not hot rods or street rods i had a guy at work tell me that and i dont think that that is true any other feelings on this??????????
1969 Stepside Build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4253546
Chevy Trucks the longest lasting most dependable trucks on the road
1969stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: anyone ever heard this?????

trucks from the 20's-40 can be hotrods// nothing built after WW2 is a hotrod tho
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
powell72

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
trucks from the 20's-40 can be hotrods// nothing built after WW2 is a hotrod tho
I agree.

You wouldn't call a '70 Chevelle a hot rod or a street rod, that's not what it is, and neither is a truck. An old truck is just a classic pickup, does it really need any other title? I see trucks built with a street rod type of style, but they're still just a classic pickup in the end. I wouldn't take offense to it, that's just the way it is. If I like a vehicle, adding the title "hot rod" to it doesn't make it any better to me.

Did a pre-war Ford guy say that to you? Some of them do seem to be a little snobby with an old vehicle if it isn't what they have or like.

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature...short_bed.html

Last edited by powell72; 09-12-2008 at 02:51 PM.
powell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
Why is that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_rod

a few more....http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...ition&ct=title
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 09-12-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #5
steelhorse

I once raced a guy with a 69 super codra jet mustang.I beat him in the 1/4 by .10 second in a 75 longbed ford.He could give it whatever title he wanted hotrod/streetrod/ect.I just called it faster than his
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

i'm not directing this toward anyone at all, i just think it's a fitting saying for questions like this.

Opinions are like a$$holes. Everybody's got one.

My son sometimes call my truck a hot rod. am i going to correct him? nah. he'll learn and form his own opinion as he gets older.

now calling our trucks rat rods... that's a whole 'nother story

Last edited by IvelDesigns; 09-12-2008 at 02:12 PM.
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:42 PM   #7
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Within the Street Rod community, 1948 is the line in the sand. Nothing newer than that can be called a street rod unless (and this is my take) the NSRA decides the cut-off year.

I think of hot rods, per se, as anything that the founding fathers of hotrod-dom built/raced prior to and after WWII. With that said, we saw the creation of the street machine genre in what, the late sixties? Surely, by the earliest of the seventies, we knew about street machines. Street machines are the hot rods of that era (60's and 70's). Can an eighties vehicle be a street machine? Sure, we've seen them.

But "Classics", per se, have been defined by the AACA. Hudsons, Pierce-Arrow, Corvair, Cobra....all have some of their models that are accepted as Classic Automobiles.

Now, for our trucks. Yeah, they're called "Classic", but that is because someone else said they were. They're not AACA classics. They aren't hot rods. Are they street rods? Not according to the NSRA. Can they be hot-rodded? Sure. Can they be street-rodded? You betcha! Will we do it? Yes. Can we do it? YES, WE CAN!!

What does it matter if some blowhard doesn't think that they are not what we want them to be? It's an attitude and it's OUR attitude. If I want to style my truck, as if I was building a '32 Ford pickup, so what? I'm not gonna put DeSoto bumpers on it, nor will I use '38 Ford teardrop taillights. I'm not gonna put cycle fenders on it, either. But, paint it black, with red wheels, moons and trim rings? Right on. Heck, I might even throw on a set of 2-inch whitewalls.

It's my take on what I want my truck to be. If you or anyone else doesn't happen to like what I did, it ain't gonna stop my show. I can still eat at Mickey D's. I can still go to work and hate my job. It's no biggee.

Do what you like, but like what you do. If that applies in your life, LIFE IS GOOD!

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 09-12-2008 at 02:43 PM.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:02 PM   #8
corn

Call it what you want but cdowns it correct...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:05 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I've always been told, and I feel, that a hot rod is anything that has been midified for increased performance.
The other titles go on top of, or in place of hot rod. Street rods are pre 48, but all stock, not a hot rod, but with a supercharged flat head... a hot rod.
The OP's friend at work is just closed minded. My dad is the same way. he sees a truck, and he sees a work vehicle, and is even snobby enough to say they should not be permitted to be parked in a residental area. (yet, he used to drive a ranger)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #10
Longhorn321
Size Matters

I have a Bone Stock 1983 Chevrolet Celebrity wagon and I call it a "Hot, Street Rod Machine" and any other thing I can think of. And nobody can stop me from saying it! Nah Nah Na Nah Nah!

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Longhorn321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #11
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I think defining these terms is really hard.I see our trucks all the time that are truly "Street Rodded" since the fit and finish on them is second to none.I see them "Hot Rodded" since many have high HP engines and beefier trannys than what came in them,many have upgraded suspension systems and brakes.I see them "Rat Rodded" since most of them start out beat to crap anyway.
All of the above mentioned associations (NSRA.AACA) Use the year model,body style or whatever as a qualification for what is allowed.They can only make the rules for their organization.
I see Doctors,Lawyers(yuck) and Indian Cheifs, that work their day jobs all week but come Fri. night they put on their leathers, roll the Harley out of the garage and ride to the biker bar.That doesn't make them Bikers.It doesn't make them Bad a$$ either but my granny would lock her doors if one pulled up next to her at a traffic light.The guy on the mountain bike in his spandex is a biker too.
Labels are used to try to set apart groups.
"LIFE SHOULD NOT BE ABOUT GROUPS.IT SHOULD BE ABOUT THE INDIVIDUALS WHO MAKE UP THE WORLD.NO MATTER WHAT GROUP SOMEONE CLASSIFY'S THEM IN!!"
The members of this board are a group whom I've found are as individualistic as any but who are just one huge class act.Each has their own style and level of ability.I guess they are "Hot Rodders",or maybe they are"Street Rodders"or could they be "Classic Truck Owners"?

In reality I don't give a ..... what you call me as long as it's not late for supper!!!
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 09-12-2008 at 05:32 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:12 PM   #12
corn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
I think defining these terms is really hard.I see our trucks all the time that are truly "Street Rodded" since the fit and finish on them is second to none.I see them "Hot Rodded" since many have high HP engines and beefier trannys than what came in them,many have upgraded suspension systems and brakes.I see them "Rat Rodded" since most of them start out beat to crap anyway.
All of the above mentioned associations (NSRA.AACA) Use the year model,body style or whatever as a qualification for what is allowed.They can only make the rules for their organization.
I see Doctors,Lawyers(yuck) and Indian Cheifs, that work their day jobs all week but come Fri. night they put on their leathers, roll the Harley out of the garage and ride to the biker bar.That doesn't make them Bikers.It doesn't make them Bad a$$ either but my granny would lock her doors if one pulled up next to her at a traffic light.The guy on the mountain bike in his spandex is a biker too.
"LIFE SHOULD NOT BE ABOUT GROUPS.IT SHOULD BE ABOUT THE INDIVIDUALS WHO MAKE UP THE WORLD.NO MATTER WHAT GROUP SOMEONE CLASSIFY'S THEM IN!!"
The members of this board are a group whom I've found are as individualistic as any but who are just one huge class act.Each has their own style and level of ability.I guess they are "Hot Rodders",or maybe they are"Street Rodders"or could they be "Classic Truck Owners"?

In reality I don't give a ..... what you call me as long as it's not late for supper!!!
Very good post. I agree. Gasser enfluenced or Hot Rodded truck fits.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #13
umwtnt

PanelDeland,

AMEN, I side with you on this entirely

69 Chevy SWB w/67 front end
4 wheel discs
468 BB 700R4
Bagged
Coming around slowly
umwtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #14
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Forget what people say and have fun with your <insert preferred title here>.

The secret to a happy life is good health and a bad memory...
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:56 PM   #15
ratrod67

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post

Damn good post.
ratrod67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:07 PM   #16
Boog
laying low

nothing built after ww2 can be a hotrod? I don't agree. Speaking from a historical view the term "hotrod" originated back in those days but, in my opinion, a "hotrod" is not limited to only vehicles produced before the war but generally any older vehicle to which mods have been made to improve the performance of as were the hotrods in the begining. There were a number of other cool names used back then too. Hotrods, gowjobs are only a couple. '
Most anything can be a hotrod if that's what one wants to call it. Your 1998 Murray riding lawn mower with moon caps, straight pipe and a flame paint job can be your hotrod if that's what you want to call it. The AACA, NSRA or any other organization can only decide what years are acceptible to fit their groups. They cannot decide what you can call your own ride.
It's all about perception. Some see it as one thing and others see it as something else. It is what it is, to you.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #17
Shane
Account Suspended

why are "titles" so important anyway?
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:32 PM   #18
CG
BlahBlahBlah

There was just a three page thread on this subject on the general discussion area. Basically ... call it what you want lol. Personally I agree with cdowns. Hot truck, muscle truck, pro touring truck...to me when you're dealing with trucks they need to have the word truck on there. It distinguishes them from the lowly car crowd =)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=304305
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #19
factorystock

What is the defintion of a truck? Lets be honest, how many people are buying 1/2 ton shortbeds because they can't afford a Camaro or Chevelle anymore? There first order of duty is to de-truck it and make it look and perform like a car. Are they really truck people? Or are they car people who got forced out of the market.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #20
corn

How do you de-truck a truck?...
Old 09-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #21
prg machine

Oh yea...................the old blowhard at work experience. We've all had em. The pick and put down about anything at any opportunity.
I have where I work a guy who basicaly just ordered all of the current day frame, suspension and a glass body to make a T bucket that he calls "his " hot rod.
He payed all of the local shops to build it including running gear.

My 69 K-20 is more a "real" hot rod than his "show" car.

I know that my truck is not a "true" hot rod..............but it is mine since I can show the busted knuckles to prove it.

And I bet the store built "T" owner doesn't ever get the same feeling I get every time I turn that ignition key!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crane roller cam lifters and rockers ,1.6 intake ratio, Open chamber heads, 9.5-1 compression ratio, 2.02 intake valves , Edelbrock performer Air Gap manifold Carter AFB performer 750cfm, MSD ignition, SM465 NP205 4.10 gears:
prg machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:11 PM   #22
prg machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
What is the defintion of a truck? Lets be honest, how many people are buying 1/2 ton shortbeds because they can't afford a Camaro or Chevelle anymore? There first order of duty is to de-truck it and make it look and perform like a car. Are they really truck people? Or are they car people who got forced out of the market.
Definition of a true truck:

A vehicle that you C-clamp things down to the tailgate to work on em! HA!

( just kidding, but a truck like that has it's own appeal as a "working" truck that you aren't afraid to use. They have a way of gettin ya very attatched to em)

Crane roller cam lifters and rockers ,1.6 intake ratio, Open chamber heads, 9.5-1 compression ratio, 2.02 intake valves , Edelbrock performer Air Gap manifold Carter AFB performer 750cfm, MSD ignition, SM465 NP205 4.10 gears:
prg machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:40 PM   #23
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

i would have laughed out loud in his face.. lol. im constantly amazed by people who act that way. why on earth does it matter?

call the thing a space ship if you want. Imaging someone arguing the point that your old truck can not be a POS because its not made of facial matter! Lmao . I do find laughing at people who act like this is the best reaction. This goes also for the people who think they are the only ones who understand a subject, or are good at turning a wrench; they treat you like you are stupid. First instinct is to smack them upside the head, but a laugh usually works better for me
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:02 PM   #24
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
why are "titles" so important anyway?
I could not Agree more....Really who cares.....You say Tomato i say Tomato.....Soda, Pop, Coke...Its Grape Drink Baby....sugar,water.purple....Grape drink...I actually live next door to Bob Drake (do some research )...He has built 20+ magazine(cover) custom cars....from the 60s to the 90s....Not that his word is GOLD....But he always calls my trucks HOTRODS...And this is a guy still builds Pre-War cars as well as 60-70s muscle cars....Along with half a dozen Led Sleds or whatever else ...You choose...to label it............Call it what ever you want or let people call it what they want....I while everyone is Figuring what to call my truck.....I will be out Driving it............
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:24 PM   #25
1969stepside

well i think that a hot rod or a street rod can be anything that you want it to be that community needs to branch out and see what other people are dong like year one is building a HHH called the heritage hot rod
1969 Stepside Build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4253546
Chevy Trucks the longest lasting most dependable trucks on the road
1969stepside is offline   Reply With Quote